This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Wii Modding

edited April 2012 in Video Games
Has anyone tried modding a Wii? How simple is it? I'm finding info on the Internets that makes it seem really simple but I've never seen anyone with a modded Wii which makes me wonder just how simple is it?

Comments

• I've seen some modded Wiis in my day. It appears to be easy and legit. Maybe only slightly more tricky than a DS card. I'm not running out to do it myself, but if I were still in college with no moneys, it would already be done.
  • I ask because there are a few Wii games that I would like to play, however I have already owned a Wii and sold it because I didn't use it. I can get one for pretty cheap now. I really want to try some of the new games since I owned one but I know I won't play them very much so I don't want to buy them. Thus I've been considering this.
  • Had a friend who did this and abused the hell out of Wal-mart's return policy. The modded Wii would eventually break, he'd but a new one, switch the broken bit with the new bit, and return the newly broken Wii. The actual process seemed simple enough, and may have become simpler with time.
  • I've soft-modded my wii several times and its pretty easy. I've had it un-modded by a wii update before but never bricked. It even went through the update on Skyward Sword and stayed modded. I've ran into a few issues with some of the programs not working but I was able to get them working with some fiddling. It's worth a try and not too risky. If your just looking to run emulators, homebrew and maybe the occasional pirated wiiware title then go for it. It's a little more tricky if you want to run full-on pirated discs and .iso though, as you have to install a custom firmware. Be more careful if you decide to go that far.
  • edited April 2012
    I have a soft-modded Wii and run most of my games from the HDD using USB Loader GX.
    IMPORTANT: Black Wii's can't read DVD-Rs at all so no Gamecube (Only way without an SD mod chip.) or Wii games on disc.

Matching the right IOS packages can be problematic (E.g. I had to update IOS.249 to get Skyward Sword going.), but you figure it out.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited April 2012
    Wait a minute. You're saying my black wii cant read GC discs?! Something that is PART OF IT'S FEATURE SET? What the FUCK!
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Wait a minute. You're saying my black wii cant read GC discs?! Something that is PART OF IT'S FEATURE SET? What the FUCK!
    New Wiis can't play GC games. It is NOT a part of its feature set.
  • DVD-Rs, pressed DVDs are ok.
  • Well if I get one then it won't be the black one since I still want to play my GC games.
  • Also note, the Wii hardware shuts down when entering Gamecube mode, so no loading GC games from USB and no using the classic controller with GC games.
  • Smash Stack makes all this shit realllllll easy-like, too.
  • Yesterday as I was trying to mix some chrystals in Xenoblade Chronicles, for the first, my Wii told me that it could not read the disk.
    I am not sure what is wrong with it. It plays other games normally.
  • Yesterday as I was trying to mix some chrystals in Xenoblade Chronicles, for the first, my Wii told me that it could not read the disk.
    Dual layer DVD. Wii can have issues. Just eject, reboot, try again.

Im about 40 hours into Xenoblade, have had to reboot maybe 3 times? Its not too bad, but something to be aware of.
    Dual layer DVD. Wii can have issues. Just eject, reboot, try again.

Im about 40 hours into Xenoblade, have had to reboot maybe 3 times? Its not too bad, but something to be aware of.
    Thanks!, it looks kind of annoying but I can handle it. :D
  • So I finally took the time to mod a wii I picked up from the pawn shop for like 70 bucks. Super easy, I followed the mauifrog guide and it was pretty simple. I would recommend that for anyone interested. They update it pretty frequently too it seems.