This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Excellent personal recipes

RymRym
edited April 2012 in Everything Else
I'm very keen on seasonal delicacies, but few more than fiddleheads.

1. Trim the ends of the stalks and wash them with cold water.
2. Boil salted water, toss them in, cook for a minute or so.
3. Drain and rinse with COLD water, let dry.
4, Heat some relatively flavorless oil to shimmering, sauté the fiddleheads for five minutes (until bits of them start to brown).
5. Add sliced garlic and cut scallions, sauté another two minutes.
6. Eat immediately!

They go very well with Pino Grigio wine. I prepared these as a prelude to baked marinated chicken breasts with herbs de provence and a simple salad.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/103621995108179214365/posts/667QfpLw7AT
Post edited by Rym on

Comments

• Perhaps the title made it difficult to find, but isn't this what the real life cooking mama thread is for?
  • My family raves about the marinated burgers I cook up. I've got no real proportions, but in general its:
    3 parts Worcestershire sauce
    2 parts Soy sauce
    2 parts honey
    1 part rice wine vinegar
    1/2 part liquid smoke
    dash of some salt-free seasoning of your choice (I say because the soy sauce has plenty of salt)

Marinate pre-formed patties for 30 minutes to two hours, and grill. The sugar caramelizes nicely and it has a good Asian flavor to it.
  • One of the first things I made for my family that they all loved, was an italian marinade I made for ribeye steaks that would be freshly grilled.

1 tbsp each of Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder and Paprika...mixed with 1/4th cup of Olive Oil.

Coat and marinade the steaks for four hours.

When you cook the steak, all of the spice on it will create an excellent crust from grilling it on a high temperature. Let the meat rest for 5 minutes, and dig into the amazing goodness.
  • edited April 2012
    Perhaps the title busted-ass search made it difficult to find Busted ass-search?
    Post edited by Starfox on
  • edited April 2012
    Eh, doesn't matter so much. Can just leave that for "Yo, I cooked a thing here" and this for "Hey, this is HOW you cook a thing."

At least until it veers off topic into an insane argument, as in inevitable, but that doesn't really need to be said at this point.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited April 2012
    Here's a decent and fast recipe I improvised the other night.

1) Get a couple chicken breasts. Pound that shit out thin with a mallet or skillet.

2) Get a fuckin' marinade going, emulsify that shit with an immersion blender or a fork:
    --1:1 Balsamic Vinegar:Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    --1tbsp dried Herbs de Provence
    --Two heaped tablespoons brown sugar.

4) Throw the chicken in a dish and pour that shit all over them. Cling film the fucker shut and let them marinade in the fridge for two hours. Watch a movie or be productive while that happens, whatevs.

5) Get a pan real fucking hot, throw the chicken breasts in. Four minutes per side, or until cooked through. Don't worry about the blackening, that's just the sugar at work. The crust is magnificent.

6) Pull that shit out, whip up a balsamic vin, and serve with a spring salad.

Congrats, you just made a fucking great dinner with almost no effort.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • 3 was originally "emulsify that shit with an immersion blender or a fork," but I decided that didn't need to be its own step.
  • I'm very keen on seasonal delicacies, but few more than fiddleheads.
    Yes, spring. Fiddleheads are the best, though I don't use scallions in my recipe and will have to try that. I also grill them, but of course pan frying does them absolute justice.

In any case, for another seasonal dish with the garlic as the focus: take this same recipe in mid to late summer - but with asparagus as a substitute since you can't get fiddleheads then - and use hardneck garlic, which hits its prime in summer. It's the best.
  • You can't buy fiddleheads in the markets here in the UK. Gutted.
  • You can't buy fiddleheads in the markets here in the UK. Gutted.
    Go pick some. ;^)
  • edited April 2012
    You can't buy fiddleheads in the markets here in the UK. Gutted.
    Go pick some. ;^)
    Only one of the edible varieties that isn't toxic grows around here, per my knowledge, and I'm not sure how to differentiate between fern species.

• edited April 2012
    Only one of the edible varieties that isn't toxic grows around here, per my knowledge, and I'm not sure how to differentiate between fern species.
    Bummer. Maybe rock, paper, scissors it? What could go wrong? :)

I wonder if you could get seeds from our variety and grow them there yourself? I've only ever seen them in the market and am not sure what lengths it would take..

Post edited by GroverBomb on
  • Only one of the edible varieties that isn't toxic grows around here, per my knowledge, and I'm not sure how to differentiate between fern species.

I wonder if you could get seeds from our variety and grow them there yourself? I've only ever seen them in the market and am not sure what lengths it would take.
    Who are you rock paper scissoring against? The plant? It chooses plant every time.
  • edited April 2012

I wonder if you could get seeds from our variety and grow them there yourself? I've only ever seen them in the market and am not sure what lengths it would take..
    Nah, it's all good. They're all over Illinois, though the Ostrich Fern is common but toxic. When I get home I'll grow a couple Vegetable Ferns in my apartment so I have a steady supply of fiddleheads. I bet with a bit of gibberellin I could artificially enhance shoot growth...

• Who are you rock paper scissoring against? The plant? It chooses plant every time.
    haha.. M. N. Shyamalan may disagree in an underwhelming twist?

Nah, it's all good. They're all over Illinois, though the Ostrich Fern is common but toxic. When I get home I'll grow a couple Vegetable Ferns in my apartment so I have a steady supply of fiddleheads. I bet with a bit of gibberellin I could artificially enhance shoot growth...
    Interesting. Keep me posted on that. I've had tragic experiences trying to grow edibles in my apartment so I'll decline to experiment alongside you.

Definitely heading to market tomorrow.. all this talk's making me hungry for them again.