This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Employment Opportunities in Health Care

2»

Comments

• Psych is pretty singular in its tendency not to apply to other areas of nursing whatsoever. If you do OR or geriatrics/peds/etc you're still doing med/surg. Psych is fairly unique. I can't even come up with a good similar example off the top of my head.
  • If the old law that exempts home care workers from federal minimum wage and overtime ever gets overturned, anyone who is looking for a decent job field should look into becoming a home health aide.

But, who knows how long it will be for that to happen. Currently they make less than minimum wage. However, with Baby Boomers getting older and people living longer it's becoming a more in-demand job.

Related article that I listened to on NPR this morning: http://www.npr.org/2012/10/16/162808677/home-health-aides-in-demand-yet-paid-little

Healthcare in the government sector has been a very interesting experience. I am currently in a decent area that will give me opportunities for promotion, however I'm working at least 2 times as hard and as much as other federal employees at my level. My knowledge level can rival my superiors, so it's just a matter of opportunity for me to get into those better positions.

The best thing is that it's federal, which gives me stability and better access to other federal jobs. Most of my job is administrative and not clinical, so my point of view is skewed.
  • If you go nurse with a legal practice on the side we will call you worse things than ambulance chaser.
  • edited October 2012
    Double post
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on