This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Defcon

2»

Comments

• Perhpas I missed something in the tutorial, but I think that I've picked up on a bug.

If I am placing my fleet, and the DEFCON changes, I lose all of my ability to place my fleet. What has already been placed stays out there, but I can't place any more ships. This happens during the first DEFCON change in the game, so I doubt highly that this is intentional.
    This is intentional. Slow down to the lowest speed to take your time placing everything.
    Some advice please!

The biggest issue for my strategy-wise is with the fleet.

I've been making two groups of six submarines, and the remaining groups are comprised of three battleships and three carriers.
    Does this sound like a decent way to organize the fleets?

The other issue I have is what to do with my surface fleet. I obviously want to protect my shoreline from enemy subarmines, and have to leave some fleet there.

Does it make sense to send some surface ships out to the enemy's coastline? The computer certainly likes to do this. I also need to protect my subarmines, since on more than one occassion I've launched a missle from a sub, only to have the sub blown to pieces. (Does the sub have active sonar? - I can't even remember.)
    As for the navys, it really depends what you want to do with it. Battleships are effective for shooting down nukes, carriers are good for taking out other ships and launching nukes, and subs are good for sneak attacks. I find the best strategy is to defend with you Battleships and carriers and to send the subs out on their own. Other players usually split up their fleets so if you keep yours together you will easy defeat their one half of a navy, leaving one side of their shoreline open to attack. Then you can move your carriers in to launch bombers.
  • So how do you make sure that your submarines are not sitting near your opponent's fleet, thus rendering them useless?
  • I played through the tutorial to DEFCON, very cool. It definitly seems like a really cool game, the music and feel of the game is really freaky though.
  • edited October 2006
    So how do you make sure that your submarines are not sitting near your opponent's fleet, thus rendering them useless?
    There is no way to be sure, but usually you can send out fighters to scout where the enemy fleet is. Unless you're playing big map, it wont be hard to find them. Also in DEFCON 3, the oppenents are usually too busy launching fighters and bombers from their carriers to switch them to anti-sub, thus allowing your subs to slip by.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • So I have never actually played this game the *right* way - which is diplomacy style with 6 people. Is there anybody here interested in such a game? I can't get my friends to buy it. They are interested, but not $10 interested.
  • I could be convinced to download it again if enough people are willing.
  • Never played it, but picked it up in the steam sale. So I'd be willing to download it and play if there's interest.
  • Never played it, but picked it up in the steam sale. So I'd be willing to download it and play if there's interest.
    Expressing interest.