This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Google Fiber

edited July 2012 in Technology
Fiber.Google.com

Discuss.

I am disappointed it will not be near me, initially.

Comments

• They need to get this shit up here.

They need to take the stupid monopolies internet companies have up here in Canada, and shatter them in embarrassing ways.
  • Not only is it fast, but if you don't need that kind of speed you can get a free 5 Mbps connection with no data cap.

Beautiful.
  • Moving forward I think the big take away from this is the no data cap aspect. With all the threats of looming data metering or cap'ing, locking in no cap seems enticing.
  • Now let us see how long it takes for the current big ISPs to try and push for legislation to prevent Google from providing internet service.
  • edited July 2012
    Not only is it fast, but if you don't need that kind of speed you can get a free 5 Mbps connection with no data cap.

Beautiful.
    Genius. Except for the fuckhuge gap between 5Mbps and 1000Mbps. What if I want to pay $7/mo? Can I get 100Mbps then? More options would mean more people interested in joining up with the program, and would allow more people to actually be part of the program because $70/mo is still a fucking lot.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • More options would mean more people interested in joining up with the program, and would allow more people to actually be part of the program because $70/mo is a fucking lot.
    Pardon me while I look at my cable bill and gently weep.

• More options would mean more people interested in joining up with the program, and would allow more people to actually be part of the program because $70/mo is still a fucking lot.
    Pardon me while I look at my cable bill and gently weep.
    Australia gets abused with anything digital. $70/mo anywhere for anything is a fucking lot until you start talking about very expensive things.
  • That shit is only twice as expensive as the cheapest Roger's plan up here in Canada, which caps at 15 fucking gigs a month (they refer to it as an "allowance", the condescending greedy fucks), and 20 bucks cheaper than the best plan while being unbelievably better.
  • Man, it feels so good so having internet that actually makes one go "Meh, $70/mo for 1000Mbps is too expensive." What's this cap you speak off btw?
  • edited July 2012
    If you use more than the monthly cap they assign you, they charge you exponentially more by the amount of data you go over it. It's total bullshit they only get away with because there is no competition.
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • I'm stuck on Brighthouse networks here, the service is great, the price is ridiculous - $60/month for a 15 down 1 up connection - at least I haven't hit any data caps yet.
  • I was going to type out a well-crafted response here but I'm close to using up all my AOL minutes for the month.
  • I'm paying ~60/month for 8 down. But that's the nature of copper. It does make me suddenly motivated to look at jobs in KC though. :P

The entire utilities industry in the US is fucked up... so $70 for a fios connection is perfectly reasonable. Hell, businesses pay three orders of magnitude more for that kind of data.
  • $120 isn't bad at all for cable + internet. That's what we were paying for Comcast's "starter" cable and almost best* internet, before I changed to a cheaper plan with "economy" (basic sucky) cable. Not only is $120 with no setup fee not bad, but its saying you get HD, and I'm assuming all teh awesome channels. That makes it a steal.

* Best Comcast offers, not best ever
  • They're making it sound like $120 gets you all channels, yeah.

I call it, by the time this is rolled out nationwide, the price will rival Comcast/AT&T/etc. I hope I'm wrong, but I bet lobbyists will be involved.
  • Record 8 shows at once.

I have trouble finding one show on TV worth watching at any given time, but I'm sure some people will swoon over this.
  • Record 8 shows at once.

I have trouble finding one show on TV worth watching at any given time, but I'm sure some people will swoon over this.
    I doubt anyone anywhere has 8 shows to record at once. I think it's deliberately over-the-top in order to mock that "feature" as advertised by other carriers. U-Verse makes a big deal about 4 shows at once. Who the fuck does that? We sometimes have 2 at once.

• Business does not pay more for the same speed. They pay more for the rapid repair response time.
  • Business does not pay more for the same speed. They pay more for the rapid repair response time.
    The repair response time isn't actually more rapid, however.

The repair response time isn't actually more rapid, however.

It was when I had a business internet connection
    . Minimal hold time, live person with 30 seconds of calling and tech always arrived in under an hour.

With residential service you might get a repair tech on site in a few days.

• I don't use cable or a landline at all, so $70 is pretty reasonable for all my data needs. Also, with regards to the price of European and American data, I think that mostly has to do with the amount of fiber they need to lay here (let alone Australia) versus the Netherlands.
  • Oh, "techs" arrived and tickets were opened, but the mean time to resolution on issues wasn't much better than with consumer equipment in my experience.
    Erm... I work for an ISP. They pay more for a wide variety of reasons... depending on a wide variety of circumstances...
  • I work for a major Telco, repair time is the main reason they pay more for the exact same service.
  • Business class also gets a static IP in most cases, so that is at least a small part of the cost increase.
  • I worked in the financial sector. The support we received for many of our lines was abysmal, even from major carriers. Sure, a tech would arrive within 30 minutes, but it would still take days to actually fix anything.
  • I don't use cable or a landline at all, so $70 is pretty reasonable for all my data needs. Also, with regards to the price of European and American data, I think that mostly has to do with the amount of fiber they need to lay here (let alone Australia) versus the Netherlands.
    Nah-nah-nah-naaaah-nah. I don't have fiber available here, though.
  • Don't forget that that $70 includes 1TB of Google Drive storage. So it would also replace your Jungle Disk or Carbonite or whatever.
  • Don't forget that that $70 includes 1TB of Google Drive storage. So it would also replace your Jungle Disk or Carbonite or whatever.
    Shut up and take my money.