This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Ubisoft removes DRM.

edited September 2012 in Video Games
And when I thought pigs would evolve wings first...

One of the gaming industry's largest proponents of DRM has scrapped it.
We have listened to feedback, and since June last year our policy for all of PC games is that we only require a one-time online activation when you first install the game, and from then you are free to play the game offline.
There's also no limit as to how many PCs you can install the game on.

Comments

• That's still DRM. Just less DRM.
  • It's still a massive step in the right direction.
  • Now I can finally buy and play some of their games!
  • edited September 2012
    Screw that one tidbit of info, the whole interview that RPS did with Ubisoft is fantastic. They tore the Ubisoft reps to *shreds* for their general stances on DRM, most notably how there has been no data released whatsoever to show its effectiveness.

RPS: Do you think that’s why no publishers publish such data?

Burk: It’s hard to say. I think as Stephanie said it varies, from game to game, region to region, and so the example that you gave – like Stephanie said, we’ve seen internal and external data to show that it can reach that high. But that doesn’t necessarily mean that it is that high for all PC games, or that it is that high for all companies, or across all regions. I think that’s one reason why companies are not necessarily broadly publishing this, because we’re trying to get a handle on what it means for different games, different titles.

RPS: But do you understand how damaging it’s been to your argument to never actually say these numbers?

Perotti: Yes.
    Post edited by ProfPangloss on
  • Ah, the warm glow that comes from a proper monstering.
  • RPS should start doing political journalism.
  • RPS should start doing political journalism.
    Looking at that fine bit of work, I'm inclined to agree.