This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Monday - My Phone is Too Big and a Tech News Roundup

Comments

• Like I've said already, my Galaxy Note, arguably the largest smartphone currently available on the market, slides easily into my pocket with ZERO issues.
    Yeah, my uncle has one and I love the size. It has no issues fitting in my pocket and isn't noticeably heavier. I mean it's still just a phone, it's nothing compared to a full size Glock which is one the things I've been known to also carry.
    I actually got a hard case for it not only to give it a little shock resistance and retain the battery/back panel if dropped, but also to make it a bit thicker/heavier because it felt TOO light and TOO flimsy in my hand out of the box.
  • Get an iPhone everyone, and if you want a bigger screen, get an iPad too.
  • Everyone strap 2 lbs of lead and steel on your belt and walk around for a day. You'll never think any phone is too big or heavy after that. :P
    The problem is all phones are getting bigger right now. Small is becoming less of an option for anyone. Kind of like how shitty 16:9 resolution became the norm for LCDs, despite 16:10 being much better for any real computer use other than watching 1080p media.
    The problem is all phones are getting bigger right now. Small is becoming less of an option for anyone. Kind of like how shitty 16:9 resolution became the norm for LCDs, despite 16:10 being much better for any real computer use other than watching 1080p media.
    I'm not seeing this. Is the iPhone 5 supposed to be 7"? There's lots of small Android phones on the market right now, as well. I agree that 16:9 for general use computing is stupid, but I think you're being a little alarmist about smartphones.
  • edited September 2012
    I'm just fucking tired of Android. Switching to something else.
    What about it? Android has its problems, to be sure, but nothing serious. What the fuck are you doing that Android is a problem for you?

I'm just sort of "bah humbug"-ing :P. Nothing is a fatal problem per se, I just wish there was more quality applications for it (*cough* games *cough*). All I use my phone for is talking to people, texting, surfing the internet, and playing games and I feel like android gets quickly obsoleted on games. Android always just feels really slow and shitty after using an iphone or even any sort of windows 7 phone. I just want to try something else. It might just be because I have a Droid X and need to upgrade but I want to try something else.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Old versions of Android are indeed clunky and no fun. I have ICS on my Note and it's tits. It came with Gingerbread which I wasn't super pleased with but it's much better now.

Thumb Keyboard 4 is also an essential piece of software. It has iPhone style autocorrection.
  • See, games is still an odd requirement for me. My phone is primarily a communication device: most of my gaming is on laptops/desktops/dedicated devices. There's never been a "killer app" game for a phone in my opinion, iphone or otherwise.

Even Organ Trail, I mostly played sitting on the couch at home.
  • I keep trying to put games on my phones, but inevitably I never play them for very long and they end up being a waste of money. I do have Pinball Arcade on my Note which is good for long bathroom visits...
  • edited September 2012
    See, games is still an odd requirement for me. My phone is primarily a communication device: most of my gaming is on laptops/desktops/dedicated devices. There's never been a "killer app" game for a phone in my opinion, iphone or otherwise.

Even Organ Trail, I mostly played sitting on the couch at home.
    It's not necessarily a requirement but I would like more options. Android has a lot of equivalents of iphone games but they almost always not as good.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • I feel like the larger format Android phones are just attempts to fabricate a marketable edge against the iPhone. Changing form factors to try to tap into alternative consumer markets and/or fragment an existing market seems like a kind of common strategy w/ electronic products. I think big phones will stop being a thing when the competitors go bankrupt and/or technology gets past smartphones all together. Until then, companies are going to try to convince people they need a phone that's bigger, or smaller, or one with a physical keyboard, or whatever else the iPhone doesn't have.

Not to say people don't actually want these things, cause some do, but I mean these phones are being designed with the intent to market them based on a checklist of things they have that the leading competitor (iPhone doy!!) does not.

I don't really get why Apple is making the iPhone longer though, they dont need to compete with larger phones really. But I'm not sure if it shows a trend in smartphones getting bigger? I guess if they stick with this supposedly new larger size, it could change things in that direction, cause Apple designs typically set the standard.
  • 20/20 vision is NOT perfect vision. It is average vision. It simply means that you can read a certain line on the eye chart from a certain distance. If you have 20/20 you can drive safely, but you probably still have flaws in your vision that can be corrected or enhanced with the use of glasses or other help.
  • All these questions are answered in the episode... ;^)
  • Well, the interested parties have clearly made up their minds already in this thread, but for what it's worth, I wanted a device with the form factor and capabilities of the Note 10 years before they came out. It was like a wish being granted.
  • How about we make all sorts of devices for all sorts of consumers....
  • So. Phones fitting in pockets. Let's discuss.

Fat people have bigger pants. Fat people have bigger pockets. Do bigger phones fit better in bigger fatter people's bigger fat people pants pockets or does their big fatness fill up the big pants and leave no room in the big fat people pants pockets?

Repeat 5 times fast.
    You capitalist pig!
  • edited September 2012
    20/20 vision is NOT perfect vision. It is average vision. It simply means that you can read a certain line on the eye chart from a certain distance. If you have 20/20 you can drive safely, but you probably still have flaws in your vision that can be corrected or enhanced with the use of glasses or other help.
    Not quite - 20/20 is not a measure of vision problems, or lack thereof, any more than centimeters is a measure of being a midget. It's not a system based on averages, it's just means that at 20 feet, you see things with as much detail as a human being would see at 20 feet. It's an objective measure of performance(specifically, visual acuity), it has absolutely nothing to do with averages - For example, if you're using binoculars, your visual acuity goes up. With my glasses on or contacts in, my visual acuity is about 20/11, but without them, that changes.

Oh, and Average human visual acuity is roughly 20/16 to 20/12, not 20/20, so you're wrong either way.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Oh, and Average human visual acuity is roughly 20/16 to 20/12, not 20/20, so you're wrong either way.
    Gah? So I must be blind then. :(
  • edited September 2012
    Oh, and Average human visual acuity is roughly 20/16 to 20/12, not 20/20, so you're wrong either way.
    Gah? So I must be blind then. :(
    It's not relevant. Hand someone with a vision problem a pair of binoculars, and their visual acuity will go up, but it doesn't mean they're any more or less blind. It's entirely separate, just an objective measure - it's like how something doesn't get bigger if you use a longer ruler.

Post edited by Churba on
  • edited September 2012
    So. Phones fitting in pockets. Let's discuss.

Fat people have bigger pants. Fat people have bigger pockets. Do bigger phones fit better in bigger fatter people's bigger fat people pants pockets or does their big fatness fill up the big pants and leave no room in the big fat people pants pockets?
    Yes.

It's really a question of what fit pants you wear and how your "fatness" hangs on you.
    Post edited by Drunken Butler on
  • I'm personally amazed my phone is considered "big". I bought it because of the hardware inside. That's really all I was concerned with.
    I wish, but that's not happening. We are in a situation where they are many smartphones, but only a few of them are worth a shit to anyone who actually cares about technology. Really you either get the highest end Nexus or an iPhone. What else is there? All the choices are getting bigger. Nobody is making a top of the line smartphone that is small.
  • I'm personally amazed my phone is considered "big". I bought it because of the hardware inside. That's really all I was concerned with.
    The hardware is what matters, really. As long as it fits nicely in your hand, and you can carry it on your person without trouble, then who gives a shit?
  • Pants and purses... I wear tight skinny jeans: little room in the pockets for bullshit. I also often wear jackets, where a bulge from a breast pocket would be unsightly.

I'm lucky my wallet fits in my jeans.
  • I have big hands with fat fingers. My Galaxy Nexus isn't too big - it's actually properly sized for my hands. Anything smaller is just too small to be useful.

Also, as a fat guy, I have big pants with big pockets. That's how I carry my wallet, phone, keys, and hearing aid case, all without issue. I can fit an iPod in there too.

I'm contemplating getting an extended battery, or carrying a spare. Or maybe one of those battery packs. It'll still fit in my pants.

The solution to big phones? Cargo pants.
  • Pants and purses... I wear tight skinny jeans: little room in the pockets for bullshit. I also often wear jackets, where a bulge from a breast pocket would be unsightly.

I'm lucky my wallet fits in my jeans.
    Holy shit, why don't you just carry a purse? Or would it be too hard to find one to match your skinny jeans?
  • The solution to big phones? Cargo pants.
    Oppa '90s style!