This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Magicians: Language Learning RPG

2»

Comments

• Sounds like a plan! We just hit pushed past the $9000 stretch goal. I was kind of hoping to do a Geek Nights stretch goal, I've been getting the podcast hosts I've been on to do a card pack for a stretch goal. So if anyone knows a way to see if Rym and Scott are interested hook me up!
  • Well, they check the forums regularly, so they'll see these posts, and you can contact them by email directly.

I also put it on reddit, and while the US isn't awake like those of us on the Oceania and South East Asian timezones, so I'll keep an eye on it through the night. There is already a tiny spark of interest, so I'll keep fanning that and see if I can start a fire. I like this project.
  • Cool! Link me if they want start asking some more in-depth questions and stuff. I contacted them awhile back but I know they're pretty busy people.
  • No worries, I'll do what I can. I like doing this sort of thing, and I've not had the opportunity for a while, I welcome the chance to stretch my legs just a wee bit.

So far, the only question is along the lines of "Do you think they'll do one in Klingon?", to which I replied that I would pass it on(so, right now), and that I don't know any reason why a Klingon version of the game would be impossible to make. I also noted that even if the Devs(ie, you guys) don't, with the publication of the hack pack it will be entirely possible for an independent fan to whip one up.
  • Sounds like I'm not even needed. But yeah, it would have to be an unofficial awesome hack .
  • Sounds like I'm not even needed. But yeah, it would have to be an unofficial awesome hack .
    Don't be so sure - After all, I can only speculate using the information you've put out so far, and that was an easy one to field. More questions that I can't answer are practically inevitable.

• Cool, well I'm up for awhile. It's only 7:30 here so feel free to link me anytime and thanks for your time, effort and support!
  • Just to add, for all those interested - if we hit 20k Andy Kitowski of recent Tenra Bansho Zero kickstarter fame will be doing a Japanese hack for the game. I've also got other stretch goals involving other languages in the work, I don't want to give too much away yet but yeah - exciting stuff
  • You have my monies now although the $3000 reward is temping sadly cant afford it.
  • Backed. I'm interested to see what I can do with this and Mandarin once I start taking classes again.
  • Hey guys, thanks for backing! There are already a couple guys who are going to start up a Mandarin hack. If we pass 20k I've got a really, really cool stretch goal lined up from a game designer with over a decade of Chinese under his belt. I wonder what he could be preparing...
  • I am willing to try and get this to the next Games in Education Symposium if it's close to me. I could help by finding a presenter or presenting myself. It fits in perfectly with the entire games in education theory.
  • edited October 2012
    Hey guys, thanks for backing! There are already a couple guys who are going to start up a Mandarin hack. If we pass 20k I've got a really, really cool stretch goal lined up from a game designer with over a decade of Chinese under his belt. I wonder what he could be preparing...
    I'm just hoping I can get one of the $90 packs before they run out. I kinda burned all my overdue invoices getting cash in for a PAX ticket, so no clever tricks on this one, I've just gotta wait and hope I'm quick enough.

Post edited by Churba on
  • I am willing to try and get this to the next Games in Education Symposium if it's close to me. I could help by finding a presenter or presenting myself. It fits in perfectly with the entire games in education theory.
    That would be awesome! Let me know if I can do anything to make that happen.
    Hey guys, thanks for backing! There are already a couple guys who are going to start up a Mandarin hack. If we pass 20k I've got a really, really cool stretch goal lined up from a game designer with over a decade of Chinese under his belt. I wonder what he could be preparing...
    I'm just hoping I can get one of the $90 packs before they run out. I kinda burned all my overdue invoices getting cash in for a PAX ticket, so no clever tricks on this one, I've just gotta wait and hope I'm quick enough.
    Those are my favorite! Working with people on their spells has been pretty awesome so far and they like seeing how they translate their ideas into Korean spells. Fun stuff! Same for the classes. Definitely my favorite backing level but man, I wish I could go to PAX someday, or any con really...
  • Those are my favorite! Working with people on their spells has been pretty awesome so far and they like seeing how they translate their ideas into Korean spells. Fun stuff! Same for the classes. Definitely my favorite backing level but man, I wish I could go to PAX someday, or any con really...
    Seoul, right? I'll shoot a message to a mate that still works KAL on the Seoul-Brisbane route, and see what she knows. I'm fully prepared to take the nuclear option and bribe her with cake, if necessary. Don't go giving up on these things before you've seen it though as far as it'll go.
  • I'd love to do a convention someday for sure! If it ever becomes feasible or if cake ever becomes that awesome of a bribe I shall immediately do so!
  • I'll start asking around. The people that run the symposium are local.
  • Awesome! Let me know when it is and I'll make sure you have whatever you need in time!
  • I received some awesome advice from Metamorphacon about RPG and Board Game kickstarters. If you want a retailer bump in your pledges include a retailer package between 4-6 copies, a few kickstarter items with them, and most importantly a "preferred retailer" seal of approval either on a website or printed paper that comes with the game.

I think you should add it in, I want to see those later stretch goals get met!
  • The only problem with that is that retailers expect 50% off the selling price and I just can't afford that.

I'm planning an update, hopefully for tonight where I'm going to announce some good and bad news. The good news is that I'm going to be turning the $25 dollar 120 page softcover into a $25 200 page hardcover at no extra cost to anyone because I want this book to be the best book it can be. The bad news is that it'll push the book deadline by about 8-10 weeks. I plan on making the playtest documents available to any backers interested though and you'll be able to see how it changes as it goes through development and line editing. The first dev pass finishes Nov. 8, I'll spend a couple days writing, rewriting and fixing things that need fixing and I plan on getting it out to everyone before the kickstarter ends so they can decide if it's worth sticking with me despite having to wait until June or for a physical copy.
  • I am about to go through all this kickstarty nonsense for an RPG book of my own, so I am watching your progress with baited breath. How are you publishing your final copy?
  • Once Ryan and I go through the editing process it gets turned over to Daniel to do layout along with all the artwork and such. Once I get the final copy I'm having it printed here in Korea and I'll be shipping each copy to everyone myself - thankfully the post office is right around the corner. I'm not sure about what I'm going to do after the kickstarter, I'm just going to worry about getting through the kickstarter and getting everyone their copy before I start thinking about other stuff. When are you planning on doing your kickstarter?
  • edited November 2012
    I am doing all my own editing and layout and it's the first time I've assembled a book, so I kind of have no idea how long it's going to take but I hope to kickstart it early next year. Though I am going to try to have prototypes of everything physical before I start; books, custom cards and dice, etc just so people don't have to put blind faith in the project, so that might delay things. Don't want to fall afoul of the planning fallacy but I'm aiming for February.
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • Yeah, it's really important to take it as far as you can I believe. I've actually decided I'd rather do the game justice now that there's been so much support and expand it from a 120 page softcover to a 200 page hardcover for the same price. It'll mean pushing the deadline but I hope people think it's worth waiting for, especially since I won't be raising the price on the book or asking for extra money.
  • baited breath
    Get someone to copy edit your book before you release it. :D

• edited November 2012
    I contacted 1st Playable today about how to get a slot to present. The woman on the phone thought it was a near idea and is going to have the person in charge of the symposium presentations get in touch with me.

Another idea would be to have you, or someone involved in the project, do a live webcast as the presentation.

Also...need any freelance artwork?
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • baited breath
    Get someone to copy edit your book before you release it. :D

Yeah my spelling remains atrocious, so I have actual proofreaders at least.
  • Hey guys, so I send out the update, here's hoping people stick with the project despite it needing more time!

@GreatTeacherMacRoss - That's a good idea about the symposium, the problem I usually have about meetings with people on other continents, especially NA is the time zone thing though. I've already paid for artwork for the book itself, I may be looking for someone to do artwork for the card though.
  • Congratulations on hitting 30K! I also told a guy who is on the retailer mailing list about your thing and he informed me that he would spread it around.
  • Thanks, and thanks everyone! I whole bunch of backers came from here so just wanted to say you're all pretty awesome. Can't believe how much of a spike we're getting in these last few hours!