This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Android: Netrunner

Comments

• edited January 2014
    Yeah, that's true. However, everyone should buy the very first expansion regardless, What Lies Ahead, as it gives each corp one more agenda, thus allowing the swapping of agendas in a corp deck.
    Post edited by InvaderREN on
  • :| Too broke for that, too, actually. But I'll try to get into the game eventually.
  • Yeah, that's true. However, everyone should buy the very first expansion regardless, What Lies Ahead, as it gives each corp one more agenda, thus allowing the swapping of agendas in a corp deck.

Good point.

• That is much awesome.
    On a semi-related topic, has the neutral draft packs come out?
  • Neocloud said:

That is much awesome.
    On a semi-related topic, has the neutral draft packs come out?

Nope, still waiting for drafting.
  • Won the second NYC Netrunner tournament in a row, and the second one for me ever. I guess I'm legitimately good at this game now.
  • Today a friend pointed out that the runner on Inside Job is sitting on a toilet. The flavor text even references it! How did I never notice that?

• I didn't notice it right away either, but I've known it for months.
  • I find Inside Job amusing. Most places I've worked at the bathrooms are like Faraday cages.
  • Those Honor and Profit spoilers... Jinteki fast-advance? It could happen. Neutral ETR sentry that can't be bypassed? Sign me up.
  • Jinteki is going to fuck everyone up. I am all in on Tennin Institute.

It looks like all the identities will be legitimately competitive, unlike the deluxe expansion HB identities.
  • Apreche said:
    When it took you this long to play well enough to win a minor tourney, I'd believe it. I honestly thought when this whole gig was new that you'd have it licked very fast, I'm surprised by how wrong I was on the point. Not that I overestimated you, rather, I underestimated the game.

• Churba said:

Apreche said:
    When it took you this long to play well enough to win a minor tourney, I'd believe it. I honestly thought when this whole gig was new that you'd have it licked very fast, I'm surprised by how wrong I was on the point. Not that I overestimated you, rather, I underestimated the game.

What makes it even harder is the game constantly changes. New data pack just came out. Last game night I went to I got CRUSHED.
  • One tricky point from that article - that if you crush someone on their first play they won't want to play again.

I still 'go easy' when I'm teaching people the game, but when Scott taught me at PAX East, I ended a turn with 3 cards in hand and he killed me with Posted Bounty + Scorch. I thought it was the greatest thing, thematically and mechanically. The death was merciful and swift, and I knew how to prevent it from happening again. Keep four cards in hand. Don't get tagged. That's when I got hungry for more Netrunner.

A year later, the game is still full of novel moments like that, interactions that become clear only after you've been stung by them. Put a Knight on a Himitsu-Bako, and watch the corp pay $1 to kill your Knight. Put a single ETR ice in front of your agenda and watch the runner snatch it away with Inside Job. Over time, you learn when it's appropriate to expect things like this to happen - keep four cards in hand against Weyland, don't expect a single ice to stop Criminal or Kit - but I rarely get crushed in a way that I have no idea how to counter.
  • x-post with YouTube video you have made.

• Finally going to a store championship this Saturday - if I do well, it's because all the good players will be at a different store championship in Philly. I don't want to cancel my normal board game night, so I'm going to the store closest to my place instead; 5 hours of Netrunner followed by 5 hours of board games.
  • Apreche said:

x-post with YouTube video you have made.

I was amazed at how the runner made so many mistakes and was still able pull out the win.

• Raithnor said:

Apreche said:

x-post with YouTube video you have made.

I was amazed at how the runner made so many mistakes and was still able pull out the win.

Card games are capricious.

• Fifth place out of twelve on Saturday, now I know where to set the bar next time.

Also: thanks for the draft video. I was having trouble picturing what a draft deck might look like in Netrunner in terms of agendas, hardware, etc.
  • Came in second again.
  • edited March 2014
    Has the draft kit came out then?
    Post edited by Neocloud on
  • Neocloud said:

Has the draft kit came out then?

Drafting is out. We did it a few weeks ago. It has issues. Today was not a draft. It was Uncommons Store Championship.

• Scott, what's your opinion on Caprice?
  • Scott, what's your opinion on Caprice?

At least on paper, she is amazing. So far I've only actually encountered her in a game twice. One time they intentionally didn't rez it, and I just trashed it. At the tournament today, someone put it on R&D with a huge stack of ICE, so I just ignored R&D and won elsewhere. We ended up playing the psi game once, and I lost.

I'll be making some decks with her soon, and I'll see how she works from that angle.