This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Tuesday - Adventure Games

Comments

• But you said that you disagree with Garfield and challenged us to name a game that doesn't meet any of your 3 conditions. Are you taking that back?
    Candyland is consensual interactive amusement that you (and likely most of this board) do not personally find amusing. Conway's game of life I'm not so sure about, although setting it up and seeing what kind of results you get could be considered interactive amusement.
  • I want more games to test my speed of learning (whether knowledge or skill acquisition) against that of other people.
  • edited February 2013
    Candyland is consensual interactive amusement
    In wich way is it interactive? You can't alter the result in any way. Like I said, a videogame version could be played with no input at all.
    Post edited by 5ro4 on
  • Non-consensual candy-land.
  • Candyland is consensual interactive amusement
    In wich way is it interactive? You can't alter the result in any way. Like I said, a videogame version could be played with no input at all.
    There is an optional rule for older players (published in the official game instructions that come with it) that allows you to draw two cards and decide which of the two moves you want to make. That's a limited form of interactivity, at least.
    There is an optional rule for older players (published in the official game instructions that come with it) that allows you to draw two cards and decide which of the two moves you want to make. That's a limited form of interactivity, at least.
    If the optimal choice is always obvious, are you making a decision?
  • If the optimal choice is always obvious, are you making a decision?
    What did Garfield say? On the planet of morons, Tic Tac Toe is rife with critical decisions.

On the planet of geniuses, Chess is a deterministic game with no real decisions that children play.
    An interface obliges interactivity. There is definitely an interface with Candyland - the pieces, players, etc...
    An interface obliges interactivity. There is definitely an interface with Candyland - the pieces, players, etc...
    In Candy Land you interact with the aesthetic elements and physical elements, but you do not interact with the game mechanics.

Candy Land has more in common with a kinetic sculpture than it does an orthogame like Puerto Rico.
  • There is an optional rule for older players (published in the official game instructions that come with it) that allows you to draw two cards and decide which of the two moves you want to make. That's a limited form of interactivity, at least.
    Would still be considered a game without that rule, so the point remains.
    An interface obliges interactivity.
    No it doesn't. Candyland the videogame.
    What did Garfield say? On the planet of morons, Tic Tac Toe is rife with critical decisions.

On the planet of geniuses, Chess is a deterministic game with no real decisions that children play.
    Let's assume that the world is full of geniuses, what be the point of any game?

Games as they are now are only any of utility to any set of players who aren't geniuses.

When you've solved a game as a player, are we to assume you've gained a skill? Or have you just demonstrated that you solved a math problem?

So as a genius I already have the skill, I don't need to play any games, except for lulz.

PONG, has no narrative/ visual context, but is mechanically similar to tennis. If I play PONG to the level where I can win 100% of every PONG game, does that 1up my tennis playing skills in real life?

Maybe strategy wise. In real life you still have to train your muscles.

Other games that have tonnes of context are probably more irrelevant to real life situations, because their mechanics have no relative use. Super Mario….

Solving chess serves no purpose, apart from designing faster computers. You don't gain any real life strategies, your chess strategies only work within the context of chess. So what's the point in playing chess?

What skills you exercise within games are important, to me at least. Unless I'm playing GTA and want to jump off a building just because... lulz
  • edited February 2013
    If your only interests are extrinsic rewards there are plenty of games to be played involving real money and real risk for reward.
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • edited February 2013
    An interface obliges interactivity.
    No it doesn't. Candyland the videogame.
    This depends on how we define interactivity.
    Post edited by GroverBomb on
  • edited February 2013
    How do you define interactivity?
    Post edited by 5ro4 on
  • See?

This is why you have to make a nice rough definition, say "fuck it," and get on to what you want to talk about.
  • The more precise a definition is, the less useful it becomes.

Pretty much this. If you're an average 3 year old, the optimal choice in Candy Land may not be all that obvious because your brain has just barely acquired the capability to attempt to decide which choice is optimal. It's really not fair to compare Candy Land to Puerto Rico due to the typical intellectual level of the people the game is targeted at. Of course, if someone can suggest a game targeted at someone the same age as who would be playing Candy Land but is more intellectually stimulating, please let me know. I'm gonna want to buy that game for my kid as soon as he's old enough to play it. :)
  • Non-consensual candy-land.
    What would even count as non-consensual interactive amusement? If it's non-consentual then it probably isn't amusing to at least one of the parties involved.
  • clown rape
  • Has anyone played Primordia by Wadjet Eye? It was pretty linear up to the end, where it had a bunch of significantly different endings. The art is cool to, if you like brown (which I do). The back story of the game is pretty interesting.
  • I have that game on my wishlist. I've wanted to try it.
  • I'm not super into adventure games, but I wanted to play Primordia because I have an idea for a game that has a similar setting. I needed to make sure I hadn't plagiarized by precognition.
  • I played a few adventure games on my Amiga. The ones I remember are Lure of the Temptress, Legend of Kyrindia, Loom, Monkey 1 and 2.

They were pretty fun back in the day but not sure I would want to re-visit them now. I would rather replay Gods, Super Frog, Deuteros or any other number of games that you can't really play anymore.

• I had a text-based adventure game on my older-than-I-am first PC called Gymad. You play a nerd in high school who has all his clothes stolen by the jocks and hidden throughout the school. I first played this game in 1990, and I could never find my godforsaken shoes. As I progressed I began drawing maps and attempting to interact in every way with every object, continually getting in trouble with the principal and having to start over, but it wasn't until I found a walkthrough that I was able to FINALLY find those shoes. I called shenanigans on that game because they were located with an object in a room that functioned as a location, and I had no way of knowing that I could 'GO' to it.

I put so much time and effort into that game as a kid, but it definitely helped me to develop my skills at puzzle solving and thinking outside the box to finish games. When I was young I thought I was a GENIUS for drawing my own physical map to solve a video game, because I had never heard of anyone doing that before.
  • I have only played one point and click adventure game, which was Maniac Mansion. I played it with two friends including friend A, previously mentioned in the "so then we went to Shaws and got a chicken" story in some thread I don't remember. None of us were "under the influence," but we certainly acted like we were (and not with that in mind).

Through pure stupidity, we discovered that by selecting "open doormat" (or a similarly stupid command on the doormat) on the first screen of the game would have the mad scientist come out and give you back your girlfriend. We didn't see anywhere on the Internet, so we believe we have discovered this but find that highly unlikely. Has anyone else heard about this or witnessed it?
  • edited February 2013
    Sorry if this was already answered. The song Home by Phillip Phillips. It's the ending part.

He first played it as an American Idol contestant. I think it resulted in him winning Season 11, I'm not entirely sure.

The song is pretty generic. When Rym sang the second part of the melody I got it.
    Post edited by JakeThor on
  • When I was a teenager I tried to think of a way of making a two-player competitive adventure game.

I couldn't think of how to do it. Not at all.

It progressed onto an idea for a two player choose your own adventure book. It would have used the Prisoner's Dilemma style situation for choices in the pair of books, one for a superhero and one for a supervillain. I ran into trouble almost immediately with bloat and reimagined it...

It became an erotic pair of books for lovers aiming to please each other but without communicating how they intended to do it... And unfortunately I had no idea how to do any of that back then. Not at all.
  • Two player chose your own adventure is conceptually easy, but would just take a lot of effort to actually create the two-factor tree.
  • Two player chose your own adventure is conceptually easy, but would just take a lot of effort to actually create the two-factor tree.
    Lost Worlds?
    http://www.flyingbuffalo.com/lostw.shtml
  • edited February 2013
    Poked around the channel of the guy who made the Sailor Moon transformations and found that they're used in a review series he does highlighting each episode of Sailor Moon individually in 2-5 minute segments. They don't have much substance other than plot recaps and a rating scale at the end, but I'm finding them enjoyable enough after watching the first five or six of them. It's like having a mildly sassy gay friend describe Sailor Moon to you, which puts a smile on my face.

Plus, as the transformation videos indicate, he'll often put effort into creating little paper/cardboard items or props from whatever episode he's looking at. I love the little Chanela he makes for episode 5, for instance. It's just on that perfect line of "so terrible and homemade it's adorable".

Lastly, it's kind of useful for me since I've been re-watching Sailor Moon recently and have been having trouble determining which episodes are the most important ones besides the beginnings and endings of seasons. Compared with re-watching the entire 200 episode TV show, it's much easier to just watch a bunch of 3-minute videos and then watch only the most important/interesting full episodes from there. That way I'll at least still get the plot from every episode without having to sit through 20 minutes of filler every time.
    Post edited by Eryn on