This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Front Row Crew Forum Potential Creative Project (aka Project Shittalk)

Comments

• Aaaaaanyway... Shall I setup the google drive folder?
    Aye.

• If we can do more than one thing can we still do the space pirates thing too? I think I have a pretty good opening gag, especially if we can make it a comic.
  • edited February 2013
    I don't intend to restrict myself to personal anecdotes.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • I don't intend to restrict myself to personal anecdotes.
    Yeah what he said. A variety would be nice.

• I don't intend to restrict myself to personal anecdotes.
    Yeah what he said. A variety would be nice.
    Sweet I'm two Jack and sodas in and ready to brain storm.
  • All of this talk about making FRCF stuff has just been reminding me of this thing:
  • edited February 2013
    To anyone who hasn't got confidence in their writing abilities, don't worry about it. I (and probably Geo) will help edit and improve early drafts. Luke hasn't said a word, so I figure he isn't interested in any of this, but that guy's got a really good critical eye too.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • I'll throw in my lot with that, too - this would not be my first script polish.
  • To anyone who hasn't got confidence in their writing abilities, don't worry about it. I (and probably Geo) will help edit and improve early drafts. Luke hasn't said a word, so I figure he isn't interested in any of this, but that guy's got a really good critical eye too.
    Yeah I'll totally do it so you can confirm me for rewrites.
  • I will contribute this story idea that I have had recently. I think it is good only because it truly has not been done before, to my knowledge.

Make a hospital drama, since those are pretty popular. But set it in a semi-realistic cyberpunk universe like Ghost in the Shell. But don't put it so far out in the future that it's Snow Crash. Put it in the time period where the real world is still transitioning. Think like some people just got electronic eyeball v2.0, but most people don't have any at all. That transition is the big focus of the world that never gets directly addressed (like the gate disaster of Cowboy Bebop). Each plotline can focus both on the drama of the characters (patients, doctors, and hospital staff) as well as a "you am play gods" moral lesson related to whatever the patients have to deal with. The character drama could revolve around tensions between the biology doctors and the cyber doctors.
  • -Screenwriting/Punch-Up
    -Video Editor (iMovie, so not much)
    -Voice Acting

But yes, we have so much talent here that it is overwhelming.
  • Luke says it'll never happen. My motivation has doubled.
  • edited February 2013
    The character drama could revolve around tensions between the biology doctors and the cyber doctors.
    I just imagined a biology doctor screaming at a cyber doctor after disagreeing with a prognosis/treatment, "You call yourself a doctor, but you're just an engineer!"

Anyway, I've made the google docs folder. If you'd like to be added to it, email me at victor.frost@thefrostsyndicate.com
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • If we prove we can actually do stuff, I am so down with Scott's idea. I love me some cyberpunk.
  • If we prove we can actually do stuff, I am so down with Scott's idea. I love me some cyberpunk.
    I'm not giving any more than I have already given.
  • Scott says it'll never happen. My motivation has tripled.
    As someone who made a huge mistake, I'd consider that a wise move.
    As someone who made a huge mistake, I'd consider that a wise move.
    Felt like I should elaborate on that seemingly passive-aggressive statement. I shouldn't have regurgitated my ideas everywhere right after the interest piqued. Suddenly it was no longer "a group pitch to be molded developed" and instead just "Schnevets' idea that other people can use".

Also, Sonic's idea beats my idea with a garden hose.
  • It's not better (I think) it's just a different and not mutually exclusive way to go.

Anyway, I think I just found a good seed for this: http://forum.frontrowcrew.com/index.php?p=/discussion/6795/tell-us-a-story/p1

Particularly Sail's first story.

• I must admit one reason I said this would never happen was to spur you into actually doing something about it. The main reason I said it would never happen is, of course, that will probably never happen.

The other reason I have not weighed in on the topic is that I'm currently on a nine-day cruise across the South Pacific and I have the shittiest Internet connection ever. E-mail is working but the forum is quite sporadic, and totally behind on news and current events.

I do, however, have something to tell you about using your limitations as the basis of creativity.

What do I mean by this? Dinosaur Comics!

The guy has a single frame, and then has different words each time. This is the reason he can easily make a new comic every day, whereas most web comics update once twice or maybe three times a week, if at all.

So if the forum wants the project to actually succeed, what you need to do is come up with a format which, after a small initial investment, won't take much work to continue.

My suggestion is an animation, because that is what people want to make, but do it in the style of dinosaur comics. One way to do it would be a time travel story, or at least some looping of time. The first 10 seconds can be the same every time, with a man being sent back in time and only having 50 seconds to defuse a bomb, save the world, get the girl, things like that.

Most of it will run exactly the same each time, with him having the same conversation with the same person, or at least it would look like that muted. But because we have writing talent, and voice talent, each person on the forum can write a different set of dialogue for the same two people. One of the people will remember everything that has happened in the previous episodes, but the other person won't.

This is me just thinking aloud, but a similar thing might work.

The key to it is being able to reuse footage or animation over and over, and simply let Victor do as many variations or conversations as possible, as written by all the people who have writing talent on the forum.

This is the opposite of an epic space adventure, but if the first project actually happens, who knows, maybe you'll find the motivation and time to make a series which will involve as much work per episode as my idea would for the entire series.
  • Everything Luke just said is spot on. One of the design philosophies behind the game I am currently working on, Bloodcrusher II, is "How much game can we make for as little effort as possible?" Hence the procedural/random nature of the game. Up front investment to create easy results is a very good model for when you are short on time or not sure how long you'll stay motivated.
  • Seems to be the same philosophy behind INFERNO COP as well. I'm okay with that.
  • I'll go along with it. Less effort required increases likelihood of this resulting in something somewhat tangible, rather than another group shit-talk.
  • I'll go along with it. Less effort required increases likelihood of this resulting in something somewhat tangible, rather than another group shit-talk.
    Totally agree. We should start small and solid, then build our ambition as we find a group rapport that works for us.

• Yup! I really don't want this to be just shittalk. I really want to do a group project.
  • GeoGeo
    edited February 2013
    Yup! I really don't want this to be just shittalk. I really want to do a group project.
    I'm with you. Who is up for a video conference (in G+ or Skype) session between those of us who are interested in participating so we can collaborate and discuss how we should go about undertaking this project? The way I see it, a strong foundation of communication is vital to carrying out this project.

Post edited by Geo on
  • I guess I'm gonna start this off. In the folder is the story of my first kiss and narration.
  • Very nicely narrated and that is a great con story, I must say. If anybody else wants to, I think we should make something with this as the basis. It is short, simple, and I reckon it won't require a huge amount of effort to produce a creative work around it.
  • I'll give it a listen when I get back from this con.
  • GeoGeo
    edited February 2013
    I'll give it a listen when I get back from this con.
    This con being?
    Post edited by Geo on