This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Wednesday - My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic comic

edited February 2013 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, we review the recent My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic comic. We also realize it's cyberpunk season, and we're rewatching anime with gusto. In the news, Rym GeekBites From the New World (Shin Sekai Yori), Otakon is branching out into Las Vegas, and we learn why the golden age of Disney animated television came and went.

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• The site shat on the Things of the Day for some reason.

Sailor Avengers:
    http://ed-pool.tumblr.com/post/42166224580

Board Game Boxes + Googly Eyes:
    http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/154070/game-boxes-made-better-with-googly-eyes
  • Hey, and that Brawl link that Scott mentioned a while back too, ta :)
  • Dune, Mastermind and Hero Quest were my favourites.
  • edited February 2013
    People not watching From the New World? Ishiggydiggydoo. Space Brothers starts out so badly it lost my attention. I'll watch it when it's finished.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • Dune definitely the best but I'm also partial to the Merchants & Marauders googly eye in the spyglass.
  • I think the only reason I HAVEN'T bought the MLP comic is I don't feel like expanding my nerdom to comics.

I also made the mistake if saying that exact same thing in front of the owner of the comic shop I play DND at. I bought some citadel paints to make it up to him (two pots is as much as a comic).
  • I think the only reason I HAVEN'T bought the MLP comic is I don't feel like expanding my nerdom to comics.

I also made the mistake if saying that exact same thing in front of the owner of the comic shop I play DND at. I bought some citadel paints to make it up to him (two pots is as much as a comic).
    To save money, pre-order from dcbservice.com.
  • It's not an issue of money, it's not wanting to be a comic nerd on top of DND, magic, video games, and computer (and now kinda sorta cars). I'd say "shut up and take my money!" In a heartbeat otherwise.
  • It's not an issue of money, it's not wanting to be a comic nerd on top of DND, magic, video games, and computer (and now kinda sorta cars). I'd say "shut up and take my money!" In a heartbeat otherwise.
    Why would you not want to have all the geekeries?
  • Will I get merit badges for them?
  • edited February 2013
    Just read all the classics, and read the others as you find interest. Trying to consume it all will drown you. Like I've read a lot of the must read books, but I don't know shit about super heroes really because I have very little interest in them and will probably never read any of those comics.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Also is that comic the one that had the oppa gagnam cover?
  • Also is that comic the one that had the oppa gagnam cover?
    That cover was exclusive only to Midtown Comics in NYC.
  • edited February 2013
    Glad you guys are enjoying the comic. It's very smartly written, and I really like the way that they're able to push the tone, put in extra nerd references, and show a bunch of epic settings that would probably be too expensive for the main series. And the art is really great; I've tried a bunch of other series since then and I've been disappointed to find they don't cram in visual gags/details the way the Cook/Price team does. I'm seeing some comic fans who don't even like MLP respecting Price's art. With two comics coming out a month (three next month), this offseason won't really feel like one.

Regarding your question about the art credits, Katie Cook did the two-page backup comic for issue #1, then had to take time off when her twin passed away last fall. She's done backups for issue #4 and the upcoming Rarity micro her team is producing, which is going to stick Rarity on a hippie commune.

Guess I should head over to the main thread to see what you all are thinking about season 3.
    Post edited by Nissl on
  • edited March 2013
    Rym is right: From the New World is awesome, and not a lot of people are talking about it.

I'm glad that not a lot of people are talking about it, because the more accessible anything is, the more likely it's easily digestible. Not that Scott cares either way. Lots of people watch it? Scott'll get to it later. Cult classic? Scott'll get to it later.

The show's not just awesome, but I feel that it's very well written.
    Post edited by VichusSmith on
  • edited March 2013
    I'd actually would like to read the book. MOSTLY because I want to be one of those "the book was better" snoots, but also because I think the world building is really good, and I want to read that without visuals that create the scenes and characters for me.

Also, "racy"? There are some "mature" aspects to the show, but I don't need any fan service in my New World.
    Post edited by VichusSmith on
  • edited March 2013
    Reading the wikipedia I immediately went to read the manga and this reminds me quite a bit of Shingeki no Kyojin. What is with Japan and an obsession with teenagers and adult distrust, imprisonment, and subjugation of them?

Also mixing gore factor and random boobs. Well, actually, I guess that's pretty dominant in american storytelling as well.
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • Yeah, watch the anime instead.
  • edited March 2013
    Otakon Vegas would be the fifth active anime con in Las Vegas. Other cons in Vegas are AD Sabakon, Animegacon, Anime Vegas and Animeland Makiba. The local anime community in Las Vegas is pretty big.
    Post edited by DJ_Katsuhiko_Jinnai on
  • I picked up number one when it came out. Went back to the comic store this week and they have a ton of issues 1 and 3 but no 2's???
  • We have a winner!

• So the series Rym talked up does seem good, though I think I'd rather read the novelization at the moment. As far as decent anime this season, I'm still enjoying Maoyuu Maou Yuusha. It has a story-telling pace and style that is at the least non-traditional and the subject matter isn't bad. It seems like a solid B to me. At the least, the plot advances quickly enough with each episode.
  • Wow the differences between the anime and manga are hard to reconcile in places.
  • edited March 2013
    Finally got to read the last part of the current storyline. Aside from the awesomely scary art on Chrysalis, the references to horror movies (seriously, Evil Dead 2 reference in a comic nominally aimed at little girls? amazing), and the fittingly cool climax, the best part of the whole thing? The explanation for what Celestia and Spike were doing the whole time.
    Cockatrices, oh mans.

Also, Katie Cook arts:

Post edited by Eryn on
  • edited November 2014
    Humble Bundle action going on right now: https://www.humblebundle.com/books?mylittlepony_bookbundle

Edit: Ok, there is the normal series: MLP: FiM 1-23; MLP: Friends Forever 1-10; MLP: Micro Series 1-10; and MLP Animated?

Wow. So many.
    Post edited by Rochelle on