This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Images

Comments

• It's slactivist people on Facebook and such showing support for marriage equality while the whole Supreme Court business is going down, by changing their profile picture to the red/white equality logo. As such, a lot of people are parodying it, resulting in the images you've got up there.
  • What the fuck Italy?

• Italy has been reading a bit too much BME-zine.
  • What the fuck Italy?

I was going to say "How is Greece NOT a penis in this picture?" until I saw Crete.
  • Because it's the best meme.

• edited March 2013
    I just checked the specs of the Mechs from "Pacific Rim"

I think the Japanese will go down first for some reason.
    I mean, if you compare them to the Australians.

Japan, better have a kick-ass robot pilot!
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • Why doesn't Europe get a robot? The closest we got is Russia. I'm sorry, but have you seen German engineering? I find it hard to believe they could not build a robot like this.
  • edited March 2013
    So, the cast list for IMDB lists exactly no Australians, and our Logo and nickname are almost 100% British. Great, they give us the biggest, fastest, ass-kicking-est mech in the movie, and then use us as Diet England, because full-fat England isn't on the Racific Rim. Either that, or any Australians will just be Americans either putting on shitty accents, or Americans and Brits stationed in Sydney in-universe, which is the only city on the continent according to every movie since Jackie Chan's First Strike.

Also, no matter how nice our mech is, we're still going to have to go out like punks 30-45 minutes in, so that America can swoop in and save the day - It's literally written into the preview blurb that the last hope for the world is two oddball, washed up pilots(The experienced, knowledgeable, against-the-grain hero of the two that will inevitably save the day being American) and their washed-up, outdated old mech - Gipsy Danger. Either that, or he takes over the only Single-pilot mech, the old Japanese mech pictured above. Hollywood has a Hero complex, and they don't think that anyone will see the movie, if it's not America saving the day with the predictable regularity of Team Rocket blasting off again or Homer Simpson being a stupid, lazy oaf.

With that out of the way, the blueprints I mentioned before are now out at a reasonable size.
    Why doesn't Europe get a robot? The closest we got is Russia. I'm sorry, but have you seen German engineering? I find it hard to believe they could not build a robot like this.
    Because Europe is halfway around the globe from the Pacific rim, in a movie called Pacific rim? Take solace, at least, in that you get to see an outing of Australia Discount England.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I just watched the trailer again, and still can't see the appeal of this movie. I guess I have zero nostalgia for big robots.
  • I just watched the trailer again, and still can't see the appeal of this movie. I guess I have zero nostalgia for big robots.
    I think the reason I'm interested is - admittedly - a bit of Giant robot fancy, but also because it's Del Toro doing his take on both Giant Robot sci fi and old Giant Monster movies, I figure that's worth an eyeball to me.

• I agree with Luke, it looks very...uninteresting.
  • I really like giant robots. I never really bother to pay to see something in theaters though...
  • edited March 2013
    Edit: The photoshop battle that this picture insipred
    Post edited by Bronzdragon on
  • And now, we play the "well, shit, ain't no TvH that will ever be as awesome as those TvH's" game. First, Karl von Hoffman living in Czarist Russia. That medal is the one that he was awarded for returning from a suicide mission. It indicated that he didn't have to stand when superior officers entered the room.
    Karl with the head hunters of Taiwan, being the first white dude to meet them and return with his head.
    Karl wearing a pith helmet, a trait that continued through the patrilineal line, but he had a reason to wear it.
    Karl, probably on his foot journey from Cape Town to Cairo.
    And now for more Ethernopians.
    And then there's his son, Nicholas von Hoffman. Here's him with Jack Kilpatrick, them being the original two Point-Counterpoint on 60 Minutes
    And how about him and Elizabeth Ashley (who I've had the pleasure of meeting, and she's absolutely insane and wonderful, despite being as old as dirt) with Bill Graham at some wedding
    There's also some pretty amusing shots of Nick, such as this gem from the 70s:
    The tie, the pants, the shirt... what do you even do with that?
  • Meanwhile in Team Fortress 2
  • edited April 2013

ANYWAY.
    Wait was that Azula with a rifle?

Run.
    Post edited by Jack Draigo on
  • What post are you quoting?
  • edited April 2013
    What post are you quoting?
    Top of the previous page, Azula wearing Shepard-alike armor and holding an M-98 Widow sniper rifle from Mass Effect 2.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Ah, very good.
  • edited April 2013
    It's very scary if you think about; infinite ammo anyone?
    Post edited by Banta on
  • That's just wasteful. By the time they get 1/4 of the way through those the rest will be cold, and there is no good way to heat up McDonald's french fries.
  • A tastier version of Buddhist sand art.

• NO. I CAN'T HANDLE THAT.
  • Pokemon cosplaying as their evolution forms: http://birdychuart.tumblr.com/