This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Mouse usage

Comments

• edited April 2013
    I've never really used the scroll wheel click cause half the time I end up also rolling the wheel and fucking up whatever I was trying to click.
    That's a function of a shit mouse. ;^)

I don't move my arm when I move my mouse, and I barely move my wrist. My thumb and pinkie do most of the work. My wrist turns left and right a bit, but is planted solidly and never moves forward or backward: that's all finger action.
    My mouse is not shit, it's my motor controls. :P Going to give that thumb and pinkie moving a try though.
    While a lot of games bind next and previous weapon to scroll up and down. If you bind your two main weapons instead, you can very quickly get to your main gun or pistol.
    That's a really good idea. I shall try that too.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Only one finger, like a real man.
    Steve Jobs would approve.
  • Only one finger, like a real man.
  • My thumb rests half on the bottom 2 thumb buttons so it does not have to move when pressing them, index does double duty as left click and scroll wheel and middle does right click, ring finger holds the other side of the mouse and my pinky just hangs out and looks lonely.
  • I will get video this week of my hands playing CounterStrike.
  • edited April 2013
    I just now noticed that my index and middle fingers hover over the mouse when I'm not clicking or scrolling. Makes sense, since I use a Magic Mouse and that shit be sensitive to out of place touches, yo. I just never really consciously thought about the positioning of my fingers on (or above) it.

Just subbed my old mouse back in and my hand automatically settled back into a normal two-finger use mode mode. Went back to the Magic Mouse: no fingers down except when needed. Huh. Neat.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • Two fingers. I've never really thought about it, but my scroll wheel is a tad too high for using it with my middle finger to be comfortable.

A lot of the time when I'm reading things my hands aren't even on the mouse, and I scroll with the arrow keys. It's a habit from using a laptop without a mouse for a while, which made using the keyboard much more convenient.
  • edited April 2013
    I use two fingers, but my mouse is laid out so that I can quite comfortably have my finger on both the wheel and RMB with no additional movement required.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • AmpAmp
    edited April 2013
    Only one finger, like a real man.
    I should have said that I was refering to a touch pad... and that I also forgot how to use a mouse.
    Post edited by Amp on
  • On my laptop, tapping with one finger is a left click, tapping with two is a right click, and tapping with three is a middle click.

On my desktop, I use my thumb and ring finger to move my mouse, which allows me to move it faster. I use the mouse wheel exclusively with my middle finger, I have 2 thumb buttons which I would never use during gaming, but I use them as back/forward while browsing exclusively.
  • 3 fingers and even though I'm left handed I use it with my right hand, which I would think is true of pretty much all left handed people.
  • 3 fingers, because where the fuck else would I put my fingers? Seriously. There's no space to the left or right side to put two fingers at a time. And I'm not posh enough to have my pinky raised 24/7. 2 fingers would also be retardedly uncomfortable on my current mouse where the mouse buttons flare out to the sides a bit, giving ample and comfortable room for three fingers. Fuck all y'all inefficient and slow two-fingering idiots. Imagine the increased pleasure you could provide with 50% more finger in there!
  • The Logitech G600 can be a 5 finger mouse but I primarily use 4, and leave out the DPI shift button on the pinky.
  • Been trying the three fingers, and oh god I can't switch back to two now, it just feels so wrong. Fuck you all. ;-;
  • Been trying the three fingers, and oh god I can't switch back to two now, it just feels so wrong. Fuck you all. ;-;
    I struggled with it for a day....what have you all done to me? At this point, I'm struggling to understand how I've completely missed doing this my entire life.
  • edited April 2013
    Been trying the three fingers, and oh god I can't switch back to two now, it just feels so wrong. Fuck you all. ;-;
    I struggled with it for a day....what have you all done to me? At this point, I'm struggling to understand how I've completely missed doing this my entire life.
    I've tested three finger grip a bit and it's otherwise it would be pretty good, but scrolling with the wheel is a lot harder and more uncomfortable than with two fingers and index finger rolling.

Also my ring finger is not at all as efficient clicker than my middle finger. I loose a lot of right click speed an precision on three finger grip.

Post edited by Apsup on
  • The reason three fingers feels/works better is simple.

Lateral motion of the fingers isn't actually very fast or precise, and requires more concentration than other movements,. Our fingers just don't make that kind of movement regularly. You type my moving your hand laterally and your fingers vertically.

Any mouse or keyboard configuration that minimizes lateral individual finger movement is absolutely better than one that requires it.

Lateral motion of the fingers isn't actually very fast or precise, and requires more concentration than other movements,. Our fingers just don't make that kind of movement regularly. You type my moving your hand laterally and your fingers vertically.

Any mouse or keyboard configuration that minimizes lateral individual finger movement is absolutely better than one that requires it.
    If mouse operation were only about clicking I would agree that three fingers are superior, but it's not. For me the scrolling with the wheel is important part of using mouse and when I do the scrolling motion with my middle finger, my ring finger also moves. In comparison when I operate both left button and wheel with index finger I can only move my index finger and rest of my hand stays perfectly still, allowing more precision and comfort.

• Middle finger on the scroll wheel at all times, here. I was trained by the Trackman Marble back in the day (I still have my original one at work), and anything else feels really awkward and slow.
  • Hrm... my natural position is actually the index finger on the scroll wheel apparently. And I just sort of apply pressure to the left or right side to press the scroll wheel or button. So it's like one finger, four buttons. Now I'm getting ideas for each finger having a little four button interface...

But you said earlier that you move the mouse with your pinky and thumb rather than your whole hand. Isn't that worse then?
  • But you said earlier that you move the mouse with your pinky and thumb rather than your whole hand. Isn't that worse then?
    Lateral movement is bad (where the finger move in parallel to its own pad. Vertical or other movement is fine (e.g., where the movement is in the plane perpendicular to the pad of the finger such that the pad itself is moving forward or backward).

Think of it this way. If you're pushing or pulling the bad of your finger (like when typing), it's fine. But if you're sliding your finger (not your hand or arm) laterally, it's bad.

• RymRym
    edited April 2013
    Notice how my pinkie and thumb are pointed a bit inward. They don't move much if at all laterally: they're pushing and pulling, curling and uncurling.

In general, "curling" and "uncurling" are the only things fingers can really do well.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I've adopted a three-finger approach. My fingers are small enough that it just fits perfectly and is comfortable.
  • Now that we've established that middle finger on the scroll wheel is totally superior, let's talk about how thumb trackballs are quicker and more precise than mice, even optical mice, for gaming especially but for all other applications as well.

Seriously, the lack of any need to return to center is huge, let alone the issues you get from gliders wearing out on the mouse's base that basically never occurs with thumb trackballs...
  • Full size trackball!
  • I've never seen someone seriously compete in an FPS with a trackball.
  • Full size trackball!
    Naw man, clit mouse all the way.