This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Boston Marathon Attack

Comments

• I'm not giving that man the justification of my time.
    You'd better damn well be talking about Rev. Phelps and Not Mr. Rogers. Folk round here don't take kindly to a man speaking ill of Mr Rogers. (-_-#)
    Folk around ANYWHERE.
  • Great video of something taken completely out of context and has nothing to do with gay marriage.
  • Hey, Anderson Cooper was mentioned. Wasn't much time before someone was going to bring up something gay. :P
  • WTF, MIT? W...........T.................AF?!
  • It's sad, but these strings of things occurring around each other makes sense. The high profile it gives the killers/terrorists inspires other mentally ill people to go out and get famous their own way. It's why the media needs to focus less on who the killers are and more on how to help the victims.
  • edited April 2013
    The highest quality photo we have of one of the bombing suspects. Taken with his iPhone, and the only photo he took of the bombing aftermath. The suspect is the guy in the white cap on the left side of the image, just to the right of the red box. You know it's him because he's basically the only guy who wasn't surprised by the bomb going off.
    Post edited by trogdor9 on
  • The MIT shooting thing is all around me right now. The Boston Globe is reporting that this is connected to the Marathon bombing.
    http://live.boston.com/Event/MIT_and_Watertown_shootings
  • I'm not giving that man the justification of my time.
    You'd better damn well be talking about Rev. Phelps and Not Mr. Rogers. Folk round here don't take kindly to a man speaking ill of Mr Rogers. (-_-#)
    Yes I meant Phelps.

And one suspect dead and the other at large right now. You Bostonians hunker down and watch out for anything suspicious.
  • Well, we're hunkered down. My neighborhood is essentially on lockdown until further notice, as we border Watertown where the manhunt is under way. (Cue another round of Anderson Cooper jokes.)
  • I'm mad. Before, it sucked, but terrorism happens every day. I didn't think much about it. Now, we're on lock-down, so I can't go to Rhode Island to get my molasses root beer. I'm mad.
  • I mean, when armed people that are a threat to people are running around Boston, I feel the lockdowns are understandable.
  • edited April 2013
    Indeed. Apparently this guy is running around with plenty of guns, ammo, and home made grenades. Not exactly someone you want to mess with unless you have the proper training and equipment.

Oh, and apparently he went to college in my home town, the town where my mom and most of my family still live.
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
  • I didn't mean to say it was uncalled for, just that I was pissed. Also:
  • edited April 2013
    Except the U.S. isn't in a state of civil war. That is the most passive aggressive sign I've seen in a long time.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Except the U.S. isn't in a state of civil war. That is the most passive aggressive sign I've seen in a long time.
    Very true... Go back to 1861 or something and then maybe it'd be a fair comparison...
  • Yeah, while they're not wrong, it's like...You don't need to tell us it's worse. We know it's worse elsewhere. That doesn't make our tragedies less tragic.
  • Those people understand tragedy. Every person in that picture has watched the homes and lives of their family and friends crumble. You mean to tell me they're being passive aggressive? Nah, that's genuine empathy. The peace signs are a nice touch, too.
  • Very true... Go back to 1861 or something and then maybe it'd be a fair comparison...
    It's just not a comparable statement, it's apples and oranges. I don't think that the Boston bombings at all represent the horror and fear seen from your own military attacking you.

For example

• edited April 2013
    Very true... Go back to 1861 or something and then maybe it'd be a fair comparison...
    It's just not a comparable statement, it's apples and oranges. I don't think that the Boston bombings at all represent the horror and fear seen from your own military attacking you.
    I agree, but I don't see that image as cynical. There's nothing crazy about a bunch of people showing earnest solidarity for a national tragedy. The sign doesn't say "we've got it worse" to me, it says "we understand". It's kind of like an old man going through a divorce showing sympathy for a kid who just went through his first breakup.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • Very true... Go back to 1861 or something and then maybe it'd be a fair comparison...

For example

Agree that it's apples and oranges. It's a completely different kind of horror when you're living under civil war vs. when you're living in a peaceful country and all of a sudden are hit by a mad bombing.
  • I'm mad. Before, it sucked, but terrorism happens every day. I didn't think much about it. Now, we're on lock-down, so I can't go to Rhode Island to get my molasses root beer. I'm mad.
    Make your own! It's pretty simple. I've got a recipe buried somewhere in the forums.

• edited April 2013
    Those people understand tragedy. Every person in that picture has watched the homes and lives of their family and friends crumble. You mean to tell me they're being passive aggressive? Nah, that's genuine empathy. The peace signs are a nice touch, too.
    I agree.

The "You think you have it bad? Well, you don't, because such-and-such have it far worse than you" type of passive aggressiveness is the hallmark of people who don't have that experience at all.

That's not to say that someone with that experience is beyond using what happens to other people to get their own message out, but in and of itself that doesn't constitute passive aggressiveness.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited April 2013
    It's one of the most annoying fallacies. "If it's not the worst it can possibly be, then it's not bad." I get the point of raising awareness of bad situations, but doing it by 1-upping is just going to piss people off. There are plenty of worthy causes to go around, and those guys holding that sign could easily be 1-upped by another group of people who have it EVEN WORSE.
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • I don't think anyone is trying to say "It's not the worst it can be, therefore it's not bad." I think they are trying to say is "Look at how upset you are over this bad thing. As bad as that is, this other thing is 100 times worse. How you can aren't 100 times as upset over that other thing?" I don't really agree with either.
  • Oh god, the best news coverage I've found on this is Reddit and Fark and occasionally NPR.. Is this surprising?
  • I don't think anyone is trying to say "It's not the worst it can be, therefore it's not bad." I think they are trying to say is "Look at how upset you are over this bad thing. As bad as that is, this other thing is 100 times worse. How you can aren't 100 times as upset over that other thing?" I don't really agree with either.
    Exactly. It's not that we shouldn't be sad that things suck, it's that we should keep them in perspective. I wasn't posting that picture because I agree %100, but rather to keep everyone freak out in check.
    Why not agree with the latter?

Of course, people are only human and so they simply will not be 100 times as upset, but that doesn't mean you can't say that they ought to be.

Your thinking is flawed as the result of various effects; in this case most notably scope insensitivity. Shouldn't you make the effort to acknowledge that this is the case?