This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Thursday - Drugs

Comments

• Taking molly doesn't make you trans-human, it makes you sweaty and annoying.
  • edited April 2013
    I think Scott should've shut down the argument when Rym compared drinking beer to having sex or masturbating.

I also am in the camp of not being interested in alcohol or drugs, but also not giving a shit what people smoke/drink/whatever.

Joe Rogan's into all that stuff (like MDNA), and even though I've never done any drugs, I've found all the trippy stuff he's talked about fascinating.
    Post edited by VichusSmith on
  • edited April 2013
    Taking molly doesn't make you trans-human, it makes you sweaty and annoying.
    I don't know about you, but I also tend to crack a fat that you could knock down a building with on the comedown. MDMA's not really my jam, though, I'm not particularly fond of it, and usually turn it down if offered. Really, I'm a man of simple tastes - give me a pint or a good, robust glass of red and a joint, and I'm a happy chappy.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited April 2013
    I've never done molly, but I have dealt with sweaty, annoying people who have holes in their brains from doing too much of it. That kinda turned me off of the whole idea.

Post edited by Walker on
  • Oh, also, what does everyone think about the link between control freaks and drug/drink free people?

I know Scott is a very particular man, and doesn't want stuff forced on him. I'm also a wet blanket who doesn't tend to like going to parties. I know other people who don't want to get high who are also afraid of not being in control of the situation.
  • edited April 2013
    Taking molly doesn't make you trans-human, it makes you sweaty and annoying.
    I am not trying to say it does, but it does elevate your mood and enhances touch sensation. This means that you can choose how you want to feel, to a point as current recreational drugs are far from ideal, and to alter/enhance one of your senses.
    Post edited by ElJoe0 on
  • I've never done molly, but I have dealt with sweaty, annoying people who have holes in their brains from doing too much of it. That kinda turned me off of the whole idea.
    I'll hear that, and I can see why. I must admit, I dislike ket-heads more, if only because every ket-head I've met has been a raging fuckwit, and the ket never helped that problem.
  • I stopped listening as soon as Joe Rogan came into the conversation.
  • edited April 2013
    Oh, also, what does everyone think about the link between control freaks and drug/drink free people?

I know Scott is a very particular man, and doesn't want stuff forced on him. I'm also a wet blanket who doesn't tend to like going to parties. I know other people who don't want to get high who are also afraid of not being in control of the situation.
    That sort of person tends to have bad experiences with high doses, I can tell you that. Large amounts of THC will make you lose your mind temporarily. Losing control of your brain is practically the purpose of nitrous, acid, shrooms, DMT, etc. Drugs will force you to experience some really bizarre thoughts and feelings, things you won't experience sober, but to enjoy it you have to be into giving yourself up to that experience.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • My issue, other than just not enjoying the taste of this stuff, is dependance on a drug. I don't want to be addicted to stuff.

I know this dude who risked getting caught in customs to get his weed to go with him on a trip, because he doesn't enjoy life without it.

I know people are nervous, or can't handle social stuff without getting fucked up, but then your life has not been lived without you being fucked up!
  • edited April 2013
    Addiction is definitely something you have to be aware of. Even with stuff like weed there's always the danger of liking it too much. I take breaks pretty often, half to keep my head clear and half to be sure I still can.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • edited April 2013
    Since this is the Drugs section for now, here's something I just wrote about my experience with LSD. Please note that I was up to like 6 hits in a 24-hour period. Instead of loss of control of my brain, I felt more in control than I ever had before.

Sometimes on a high amount of psychedelics, you come to the same realizations you've had plenty of times before, but it finally sets in, if you let it. On this trip, I made a stark realization about vices, even though I already knew it. (Also, I'm sure this is full of holes and such, but I think it holds up as a personal experience.)

"I’m not quite sure how many hours into my LSD fueled 3-4 day journey I was at that point, but I’m not quite so sure that it matters. At whichever point that it was, that was when I knew what it meant to see all of the fractals. Or all of the fractal. Technically it’s probably just one big fractal. This was the time that music wouldn’t save me, or at least it wouldn’t for a few odd hours. This was the first time in my years of tripping that I hadn’t given into the beat and let myself rage.

I just kept on thinking.

Let me tell you something, you can only think so much, about everything, before you start to become one of the insane ones. I know, because I was on the edge of madness. I was the most clear headed I have ever been, and I’m assuming that anyone can be. Through my sleep deprivation, auditory hallucinations, and the wall of fractals that was under my vision and had been there for 60-odd hours, I wept.

At that point tears were streaming down my face as I was crying for not just myself or my friends, but for everyone everywhere. I felt the weight of the world on me, and could do nothing to move it but let it go through me. As I cried, I thought about everything. I felt as though I saw the entire history of the universe passing through my eyes.

We can do nothing in the grand scope, and yet, for us, to us, we can do anything. We are all insignificant pieces of starstuff, but at the same time, we are the most significant thing to ourselves.

We are fundamentally connected with music, whether we like it or not. Not only does music release good feelings through synapses inside of us, but the human brain evolved over millions of years to be able to process all kinds of sounds, and the ability to manipulate those sounds to invoke feelings or emotion is what music is.

When you get to a certain point, life itself can feel like a joke. We’re only here for 50-100~ years and life has been going on for billions or trillions of years. Life is extremely simple, but because of the amount of stuff there actually is, it becomes incredibly complex.

Just don’t get wrapped up in the meaning of life, because you’ll find out there isn’t one. Some people can live with that, and some people can’t. So come to terms with it if you can, and if you can’t....

God/Drugs/Vices help us."
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • I stopped listening as soon as Joe Rogan came into the conversation.
    What's your thing against Joe Rogan?
  • edited April 2013
    He's a moon landing denier, and perpetuates of all sorts of other woo-woo. Put him in the same group as Tom Green and other conspiracy theorist nutjobs who somehow have a public voice.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • That is ridiculous, but when it comes to talking drugs, he seems pretty informed.
  • W.R.T. caffeine, I've found a very good substitute in nutritional balance and when necessary, supplementation. In my specific case, I found that it's REALLY easy to be magnesium deficient, especially for Crohn's sufferers, and that blood tests generally won't show this because your body will "steal" it from your bones to make up deficits.

I started supplementing 350 or so mg of Mg salts of various kinds per day, and just for shits I added fish oil (DHA and whatever). I've got energy and a mental sharpness I hadn't felt since high school. Nutrition is pretty frigging important and, at least when you're talking about stimulants and uppers, a far superior solution for lots of reasons.
  • He's a moon landing denier, and perpetuates of all sorts of other woo-woo. Put him in the same group as Tom Green and other conspiracy theorist nutjobs who somehow have a public voice.
    He's also, predictably, a Ron Paul nutter, to the best of my knowledge.

• Hey look, the Earth might not be round. You've never seen it. You don't know!
  • He's a moon landing denier, and perpetuates of all sorts of other woo-woo. Put him in the same group as Tom Green and other conspiracy theorist nutjobs who somehow have a public voice.
    He's also, predictably, a Ron Paul nutter, to the best of my knowledge.

Tom Green, too?

Add Adam Curry to the list. I was listening to TWiT, and I was just baffled by what this guy's logic behind the moon landing not being real.
  • Should line up all these guys at Buzz Aldrin's house.
  • Tom Green, too?

Add Adam Curry to the list. I was listening to TWiT, and I was just baffled by what this guy's logic behind the moon landing not being real.
    Don't know about Tom Green, but Adam Curry is at least 100% openly a complete nutcase. Very smart guy, but crazier than a shithouse rat.

• I've been wanting to try that sort of thing for a while. Would straight up hash oil work? I remember seeing some sort of K2 spice ecig juice online and wishing I could get the real stuff legitimately instead of mystery chemicals. Hopefully Rym is right and that will be a thing soon.
    You mix 2 parts propelyne glycol and 1 part hash w/ some indirect heat (hot water bath in a jar for a few hrs, shake occasionally) for the win.
  • edited April 2013
    Just caught up on this one. As far as who else gets new album internet hype like Daft Punk, I'd vote Radiohead as the closest. Personally, I like Daft Punk but I've never been the biggest fan, so the crazy hype for their new album this time around strikes me funny.

My earliest childhood memory is puking grape Dimetapp, so I can't relate to the cough syrup discussion at all. I try to stay off the decongestants etc. unless I really need to function at work. I get a distinct rebound where my symptoms are actually worse than they were before they started.

As for the drugs taken for consciousness-altering properties, I might average ~5 drinks a month. It's not very interesting but it adds a bit of energy and openness in a social situation, and I've noticed that I tend to get shut out of conversations if others are drinking and I stay completely sober. I smoke pot occasionally (legally, I live in CA), but not for simple enhancement reasons. The drug has a good ability to temporarily lower emotional blocks in place without making me particularly slow/stupid. As a result, it has helped me expose and work through some bad anxiety issues that I was suppressing from consciousness. It also provides a big boost in my ability to appreciate music by hearing the way the different parts "fit" together and tuning into the emotions of a piece (as well as the crowd, at a live show). The biggest downside I notice is that I sleep poorly afterwards.

Oh, and without getting into details, I'd advise staying away from all of the serotonergic psychedelics. I got a lot of value out of reading trip reports on Erowid and thinking about the psychological and/or metaphysical implications of the different experiences people were having. I found the actual drug effects kind of underwhelming and far more chaotic/difficult to use constructively than marijuana, and I was quite disturbed to notice that there are subtle aftereffects can stick with you for weeks or even months depending on the drug.
    Post edited by Nissl on
  • I've been wanting to try that sort of thing for a while. Would straight up hash oil work? I remember seeing some sort of K2 spice ecig juice online and wishing I could get the real stuff legitimately instead of mystery chemicals. Hopefully Rym is right and that will be a thing soon.
    We've discovered that many of the most common synthetic cannabinoids may increase the chance of rapidly-progressing metastatic lung cancer in rats. Stay the fuck away from the JWHs and their kin; if you want to get a cannibinoid high, just buy the illegal stuff that won't hurt you.
  • I tried it a few years ago and it was terrible. I had said I'd rather just not smoke then smoke that shit.
  • In general, I have a sour opinion of anyone whose lifestyle revolves around any mind altering substance, as opposed to occasional recreational use.
  • So you have a sour opinion of anyone with a mental illness?
  • RymRym
    edited April 2013
    So you have a sour opinion of anyone with a mental illness?
    There's a difference between a lifestyle choice and a medical prescription.

People taking antidepressants aren't typically talking about them constantly with their friends, displaying their various pill containers on a shelf, and wearing tshirts related to them.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • In general, I have a sour opinion of anyone whose lifestyle revolves around any mind altering substance, as opposed to occasional recreational use.
    http://www.infinitelooper.com/?v=Sq3eLdixvCc&p=n#/80;86
  • So you have a sour opinion of anyone with a mental illness?
    There's a difference between a lifestyle choice and a medical prescription.
    You realize how much you sound like an archetypal devout Christian demonizing homosexuality, right?