This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Tech that needs to die.

Comments

• Banta said:

I am happy for that as my desktop is an old pile of bits that only has a DVI and VGA port.

I need (want) to upgrade. ;___;

Hey, if DVI is the best you can get, you can still ditch your VGA and upgrade to that. ;) Amazon has them for crazy cheap.
  • The monitor doesn't have DVI. It too was cheap.
  • Even Goodwill monitors have DVI. I just got a Asus monitor at the one across the street for me that runs at 1600x900 for $24.
  • Might have to go Goodwill hunting then.
  • Banta said:

Might have to go Goodwill hunting then.

• Audio recording equipment that makes it sound like the audio was filtered through a toilet paper roll.
  • edited November 2014
    Do you mean intentionally or or unintentionally? Because there is equipment on pretty much every rack, mine and Rym's included, that can do that.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Do you mean intentionally or or unintentionally? Because there is equipment on pretty much every rack, mine and Rym's included, that can do that.

Unintentionally. Probably the worst is software for recording internal sound that still do that. Again, unintentionally.
  • Daikun said:
    It's already been dead for a long time, there is lag time for it to finally phase out as the general public finally change their manner of consumption.
  • edited January 2015
    MP3s + flash memory killed cd burners
    Piratebays + larger capacity hardrives killed dvds and bluray

Flash memory wins the removable media war. Blurays are 50GB max. SD cards are 64GB+ now, with the risk of swallowing.

Optical media has only very special case uses these days.

I'd like to see all tv set top boxes obsolete.

What would the world be like if Google owned Sony.
    Post edited by Dazzle369 on
  • Dazzle369 said:

MP3s + flash memory killed cd burners
    Piratebays + larger capacity hardrives killed dvds and bluray

Flash memory wins the removable media war. Blurays are 50GB max. SD cards are 64GB+ now, with the risk of swallowing.

What would the world be like if Google owned Sony.

If Google owned Sony, it would still run it separately and hang onto it for patent protection. Google gets greater exposure by offering a widespread / familiar user experience. (See owning Motorola's mobile department).

I'd like to see TV obsolete.
  • I don't think TV will ever be obsolete. I think the way content is produced and distributed will change for the better over time.

Hopefully we can abandon broadcast via radio in favour of superior fibre networks. Which should open up the spectrum for better mobile internet connections everywhere.
  • TV set top boxes are the least sexy thing ever, but the TiVo Roamio has been a dream for me over the past year. It is a: Chromecast, Roku, Slingbox, and traditional DVR all in one package, and it works very well.
  • Dazzle369 said:

I don't think TV will ever be obsolete.

Having a monitor / projector which can display whatever media you want, when you want is vastly superior to being ready to watch media at a particular point that you have no control over.

I don't own a TV. My parents don't use theirs anymore.
  • This is a kind of bizarre non-golfers type thread. You're telling other people how to properly experience their media. There are some shows where I want the physical release, because streaming services may or may not have those shows forever (I'm not giving up my Utena DVDs until there's a new physical medium that they get released on, for instance). What's wrong with other people doing things that don't affect you differently? No tech needs to die if it doesn't have any bearing on your life? The only techs that "need to die" are the ones that force themselves on you.
  • I buy BD/DVD for the high quality transfers and extras. Which is why I get pissed when a BD is released that is nothing bit a VHS copy put on disc.
  • sK0pe said:

Dazzle369 said:

I don't think TV will ever be obsolete.

Having a monitor / projector which can display whatever media you want, when you want is vastly superior to being ready to watch media at a particular point that you have no control over.

I don't own a TV. My parents don't use theirs anymore.
    What i mean by TV is the actual display system. This could mean monitor/ projector or whatever. A TV is just a monitor with a radio tuner inside. In lieu of a tuner can be an ethernet port.

I said TV instead of monitor, because in most homes, the TV serves a the central display in the home. A monitor isn't. Modern TVs have all the connectivity you need to be used as a monitor. So in that sense, TVs will never be obsolete. Also there's the possibility of having legacy built into TVs, where a very basic tuner is used for emergency radio broadcasts.
  • edited January 2015
    HMTKSteve said:

I buy BD/DVD for the high quality transfers and extras. Which is why I get pissed when a BD is released that is nothing bit a VHS copy put on disc.

I only resort to getting Blu Rays when the digital copy doesn't have the appropriate surround sound and the movie content demands it.
    I also really enjoyed how they remastered the entirety of the Star Trek original series.
    I'm hoping The Wire remastered will be up to par.
    Post edited by sK0pe on
  • Dazzle369 said:

It still wins on price when you want to mail someone a copy of their photos or something and won't/can't put it online for some reason.
    Dazzle369 said:

Depends on which type of set top box. So-called smart TVs are such insecure garbage that I'd never hook one up to a network. I'd much rather use it as a demo monitor hooked up to an HTPC or something.
  • Me and dad got a smart TV last night and we like it...
  • I still prefer a small STB paired to a dumb TV. This is also why I would never buy a computer where all the guts are inside the monitor.

If the smart features of my STB break I can easily replace it. If the smart features of my smart TV break...
  • HMTKSteve said:

I still prefer a small STB paired to a dumb TV. This is also why I would never buy a computer where all the guts are inside the monitor.

If the smart features of my STB break I can easily replace it. If the smart features of my smart TV break...

Yeah, I don't trust the so-called "smart" TVs. When they work, they often work well. But I have no confidence that they will be supported going forward. If YouTube changes their API, and the TV manufacturer doesn't provide an update, that's the end of that. HTPC is still king.

One interesting thing is that Panasonic is making TVs with Firefox OS.

https://gigaom.com/2015/01/06/first-look-this-is-panasonics-firefox-os-powered-tv/

THAT has potential. So would an Android TV or iOS TV. There would be some confidence in support and apps.
  • Apreche said:

So would an Android TV or iOS TV. There would be some confidence in support and apps.

True. But anything running whatever homebrew Linux/BSD/QNX/VXWorks/etc that the manufacturer cooked up in their spare time is right out.
  • entertainment.slashdot.org/story/15/01/10/1950240/radio-not-youtube-is-still-king-of-music-discovery
    People still listen to the radio, and not just for NPR. Normal people still move much slower when it comes to new technology, so don't rush to call stuff dead just because you don't use it.
  • Ninety-One Point Three Percent, Bitches! You're damn fucking right! *does a little dance* Even if I'm not working in radio right now, that's what I got my degree in so I get to do my little happy jig.
  • 91.3% of people get in cars everyday.
  • My phone has an FM tuner built in.
  • My phone has an FM tuner built in.

Oh yeah, mine does too. I always forget. I don't expect I'll ever use it unless the apocalypse comes.