This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Tuesday - King of Tokyo

2»

Comments

• edited May 2013
    I think Groo: the card game might qualify as a yahtzee based game.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • There are a ton of small Yahtzee clones like Zombie Dice, but I recommend Martian Dice as the best of the bunch. These fall into the Spot It/Jungle Speed category of games you'd play when waiting in line or killing time, not as an actual warmup.
    I played it once (plus expansion), and the rerolling seemed more prominent than it otherwise would be in a typical game. You're right in that it is much more like Kingsburg.

I think I'm tired of / done with the games that use dice in this manner, however, moreso than I am with Yahtzee games. But, tired nonetheless of both. King of Tokyo gets a pass in that it's elegant and SHORT.
    I'm curious to see if the expansion causes more re-rolling. I bought all the extra stuff at PAX East when Game Salute was clearing out on Sunday afternoon, but haven't opened that stuff yet. I'm only familiar with the base game. As for tiring on those types of games, I'd sort of agree with you, but I love Castles of Burgundy too damn much. I suppose that's more dice driving actions rather than dice driving worker placement though.

• Fun fact: never played Yahtzee.

My family wasn't into board games. I mainly played Sorry, Monopoly, Life, and all that junk.
  • edited May 2013
    Fun fact: never played Yahtzee.

My family wasn't into board games. I mainly played Sorry, Monopoly, Life, and all that junk.
    Yahtzee is in the same group as Sorry, Monopoly, Life, etc. That's why it's weird. It's like if you said you hadn't played Pop-O-Matic Trouble or Uno.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I don't think Pop-O-Matic Trouble is as well known a brand anymore as the rest of them.

But if you were born in the 80s, I assume you played Pop-O-Matic Trouble with your family.
  • Fun fact: never played Yahtzee.

In every toy store, Yahtzee sits on the shelf right next to all those games in the family section.
  • I got a relatively nice Yahtzee set with a dice cup and a felt dice tray when I was still in middle school. Still have the dice kicking around, mixed in with my RPG dice.
  • Rym asked whether you need a 4-day badge at PAX to qualify for the Omegathon. They answered that on Twitter last month:
  • Played this game over the weekend. I think I may get this with the expansion. I played as the Pandakai that's part of the expansion. Good times.