This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

RIT Sentinel Prank

edited October 2006 in News
I saw this on digg and thought some of you RIT'ers might want to see this.

http://www.digg.com/offbeat_news/RIT_Sentinel_gets_pranked_by_throwies

Comments

• One these days, we have to donate a Monolith to replace that thing. A slab of blackest night, absorbing all light as it stands, a challenge to those who would fathom its mysteries.
  • Hot damn, I thought those were actually offical, as in added on and crap.

I thought before, "Man, they must've been desperate to make it look 'pretty'." But now it's funny.
  • All college "sculptures" are crap from everything I've seen. They tend to be random hunks of metal welded together with no design.
  • Most are commissioned to make as many people happy as possible, usually resulting in everybody hating it. There's one on Georgia Tech's campus that looks like a Dairy Queen soft serve cone. Why? No idea.
  • Most are commissioned to make as many people happy as possible, usually resulting in everybody hating it. There's one on Georgia Tech's campus that looks like a Dairy Queen soft serve cone. Why? No idea.
    But what about the shaft? THE SHAFT MAN!
  • That's really true about college sculptures. Mostly horrible and the students will complain even when they're not.

As to the prank itself, it just doesn't seem all that impressive compared to what I'm used to (and be aware that's a very incomplete list).

As an example of one prank which Iofcoursedidnothaveanythigntodowith, there was this class at MIT which my good friend was taking where they had just finished a section on step functions, unit impulses, etc and where the tests tended to have questions followed by multiple choices in A) B) C) D) E) format.

One day at the end of lecture, some student went to the back of the lecture hall with a battery and connected it to two wires there. Suddenly a hatch in the ceiling over the front of the lecture hall popped open and out fell a banner along with 200 tissue paper cutout fish. The banner read "What is the reaction of an 18.03 class to one unit impulse fish?" and had multiple choices like the tests. Luckily my friends friend just happened to be video taping it so I could see the result too, and the class and the professor cracked up.

Another time for International Talk Like a Pirate Day some students put up a big 40 foot by 40 foot skull and crossbones banner on the side of a building, and let me tell you it took a lot of sewing (notthatIhelpedwithitoranything).
  • The pranks at RIT are lame due mostly to the harsh reactions they tend to get from the university's administration...
  • The pranks at RIT are lame due mostly to the harsh reactions they tend to get from the university's administration...
    Most of the really good pranks at Georgia Tech now come with harsh penalties (such as stealing the "T").
  • Yeah, we're lucky to have relativly cool administrators here. I suppose part of it is that its something that MIT is sort of famous for.
  • A lot of universities really have to be harsh. There's always a small group of people who go way too far.

Like that time those guys at BBC or Grammar got a cow on the top floor of one of the school buildings. It got stuck and it had to be killed to get it back down again. >_>

On the other hand I recall a prank with this huge phallic looking sculpture at another school. Not sure which school it was. Anyway, someone covered it in white paint and wrapped it in plastic. :B Lawl~ Didn't stay up long, though (ahaha, word play).
  • edited October 2006
    I'm being negative today, but I have to agree that this was a lame prank. The guys at M.I.T. are the kings of pranks. I love the rocket prank at the Harvard-Yale game. The police cruiser prank is also a classic.

By the way, if I knew that my tuition dollars contributed in any way to that sculpture, I would be furious. That thing is a monstrosity.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • I'm being negative today, but I have to agree that this was a lame prank. The guys at M.I.T. are the kings of pranks. I love therocketprank at the Harvard-Yale game. The police cruiser prank is also a classic.
    It's true, MIT are the kings of pranks. However, I don't think that it is because they are smarter or more creative than anyone else. It is because the administration of the school encourages this type of activity. At the very least, they discourage pranks less than other schools do. If the administration of RIT got their heads out of their butts, then you would see awesome stuff going down more often.
  • I went to see the image, but it was all gone. can someone describe what they did or share a pic?
  • It's true, MIT are the kings of pranks. However, I don't think that it is because they are smarter or more creative than anyone else.
    Well, the pranksters chose to go to M.I.T. Doesn't that make them smarter? ;-)
  • Hahaha, I have personal experience with temporary graffiti on the RIT campus. They don't go easy on you. I almost got myself and a few of my friends thrown out of school for drawing dumb shit on the backs of flyers last year.
  • Hahaha, I have personal experience with temporary graffiti on the RIT campus. They don't go easy on you. I almost got myself and a few of my friends thrown out of school for drawing dumb shit on the backs of flyers last year.
    Of flyers? Fucking flyers!? Regular old paper flyers? Wow...
  • Were they somehow super important flyers? That doesn't even make any sense the way I'm interpreting it. Just basic old paper flyers for a political party or a club or something, yes?
  • We'd often draw "things" on flyers all over campus, especially outside of clubspace.
  • edited October 2006
    Ah, the kind of "things" that people could get ridiculously huffy about and complain to administration? 'cause that would still be ridiculous but at least make sense.

...It's like the lowtech version of pictochat.
    Post edited by Mamath on
  • edited October 2006
    I'll try to go into vague detail without saying anything too specific. I don't want to piss people off, because I know that there are people who are in the RIT Anime Club who check this forum. Rym and Scott should know this story.

I was the assistant to the publicist last year, which meant I got to walk around campus on Tuesdays or Wednesdays and stick up flyers. To make the time go faster, a sort of get-together game got made out of it, and a bunch of us would take sharpies and draw and write things on the backs of posters and stick them on windows. Dumb things like "DON'T GO, WE LOVE YOU" and stupid charicatures of everyone who'd be out that evening. When we all started playing WoW together, we started putting dumb WoW references in; the thing that set it all off was "XR IS UNDER ATTACK" (which is a stupid WoW reference, if you play) with a little orc saying "OH NOES." The thing turned into a fiasco with campus safety and ended with a spew of apology letters and write-ups and warnings. It was awful.
    Post edited by Aido on
  • SNAPS!

RIT has a history of heavy-handedness. Granted, sometimes it's warranted, as in the case of the riot a few years ago, but a lot of the administration tend to overreact or react in the wrong way to things. It's like stomping on a bag of flaming poo. If they'd step back and assess the situation a little, they'd see that water is a better answer.