This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Privacy and the Future

2»

Comments

• I understand that someone's opinion is their own, and sometimes we choose to accept another's opinion as a guide to future behavior. I understand that as a personal app, this would only be problematic if 1) I wanted to become personal friends with you or someone in your group of friends, and 2) I did something to trip your or your friends' "creeper detector," which is likely well-calibrated.

However, I see this kind of thing as likely to be very popular. I don't think it would take long for something along these lines to be integrated into, say, Facebook. And now we begin to see that the context changes.

The "creeper" tag is no longer an opinion that can be evaluated based on the premise that someone I trust put it there. It is now a label that will follow that individual, appear in unexpected places and contexts, and carries the psychological impact of consensus. "Everyone says that person is a creeper." Not "Rym says that person is a creeper, and I can evaluate whether or not I agree based on my understanding of what Rym would think a creeper is."

Since the entire point is "this kind of thing is inevitable, privacy is going away, deal with it," I think it is legitimate to speculate on where this kind of thing could lead, rather than simply deal with what one person codes up for the personal use of their circle of friends.
  • I'm still fine with it in that case. Society will need to better understand how to filter data.

But in my case, I take the purely selfish route. My monkey circle is already quite full. I'm perfectly content to make snap judgments of people I meet, since I have very little time for mistakes at conventions or events. ANYTHING I can do to limit the number of people I need to "evaluate," even if arbitrary and capricious, is useful to me.

It's like resumes. I'll arbitrarily throw out any with a misspelling, broken formatting, or other arbitrary and obvious signs of likely low quality without even reading them.

I'm also fairly confident that real data will hide in the sea.

Google any given person, and you'll eventually find something. If you google everyone you meet every time you meet them, they'll ALL have something. The information becomes a wash, and minor "issues" balance eachother out.

• The "creeper" tag is no longer an opinion that can be evaluated based on the premise that someone I trust put it there. It is now a label that will follow that individual, appear in unexpected places and contexts, and carries the psychological impact of consensus. "Everyone says that person is a creeper." Not "Rym says that person is a creeper, and I can evaluate whether or not I agree based on my understanding of what Rym would think a creeper is."
    On this specific point.

If 30% of the people at a convention tag one single person as a creeper, statistically significantly beyond the average percentage who flag other people as creepers, then I'm going to assume there's something up and take that flag to heart.