This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PS4

edited June 2013 in Video Games
Just finished watching the entire sony E3 conference. A huge slap to Microsoft, and the internet has been busy making tons of sony destroys ms memes.

No online requirements, no region locks, no used game restrictions. I think sony just won.

Comments

• Or Microsoft rolls back their "features" in a month.
  • If you change everything to the new console versions then this is exactly how I feel about all of this:
  • edited June 2013
    Its fun how being able to trade games is consider an amazing "feature" and gets a 20 second applause.

Post edited by iruul on
  • Well, supposedly, Sony won't block 3rd party publishers from doing their own DRM bullshit. However, they also aren't going to make it easy for them either. Basically, if you're a 3rd party and you want to put DRM on your discs, it's up to you to implement it yourself -- just like if you were doing it for a PC game.
  • Biggest Sony news not mentioned here. Indie devs can self publish on PS4. Are SONY's days of evil over? This is the same company that malwared everybody in the music CDs.
  • Sony also allowed people to run linux on the PS3.

Until they patched it out two years later.
  • I dont understand why the anti-piracy on consoles. Sure, piracy is a thing on PCs since it is so easy, but I only know of maybe 2 people IRL that have hacked their consoles for piracy. There is a much larger barrier to piracy and I'm not sure if all this bad press is worth stopping the small amount of people that are savy enough to hack the console, but not savy enough to overcome the DRM and hack it anyway.

OH SNAP. Is that SONY's new move? Bait with good, then switch it out. Maybe they'll do the same thing with used games. Oh BTW guys. PS4 is two years old, now no more used games LOLOLOLOL. Insert Daily Show style clips comparing yesterday's conference showing bold-faced lies.
  • I dont understand why the anti-piracy on consoles. Sure, piracy is a thing on PCs since it is so easy, but I only know of maybe 2 people IRL that have hacked their consoles for piracy. There is a much larger barrier to piracy and I'm not sure if all this bad press is worth stopping the small amount of people that are savy enough to hack the console, but not savy enough to overcome the DRM and hack it anyway.
    It's not anti-piracy. It's anti-first sale rights. They don't want you to be able to buy and sell used games. That way everyone who wants to play game X has to buy a copy brand new full price. They think they will make more money this way. They don't realize that those games people can't afford to pay full price for just won't sell at all.

Actually I think that the biggest takeaway from that issue is since that time the PS3 felt like it was getting hacked left and right, so at this point M$ lack of judgement is great since people are forgetting about that issue.

• edited June 2013
    Sony's Jack Tretton has said that charging for use games is up to the publishers to decide and they have Sony's support if they do.
    Post edited by Dazzle369 on
  • Sony's Jack Tretton has said that charging for use games is up to the publishers to decide and they have Sony's support if they do.
    Some publishers already do that with one use codes for online gameplay. I don't think anyone does it for single player games.

Unlike where MS is going the PS4 still needs the game disc to be in the PS4 for you to play the game. While they could potentially patch it so that games install the same way as on XB1 it is not likely to happen in a way that does not still require the physical disc to be present.

It's not anti-piracy. It's anti-first sale rights. They don't want you to be able to buy and sell used games. That way everyone who wants to play game X has to buy a copy brand new full price. They think they will make more money this way. They don't realize that those games people can't afford to pay full price for just won't sell at all.
    Yes, there's anti used game, but I was referring to the 24-hour internet game verification requirement. Its bad enough I can't just take a disc over to a friend's xbone, but even if I lug my own console over I have to go through set up and work through router firewalls and type in passwords just to play.
    Yes, there's anti used game, but I was referring to the 24-hour internet game verification requirement. Its bad enough I can't just take a disc over to a friend's xbone, but even if I lug my own console over I have to go through set up and work through router firewalls and type in passwords just to play.
    I honestly think that's more about gathering data than stopping piracy. A jailbroken XBox won't connect to the net and will just play games locally. They want to know what games you are playing and for how long. I guarantee someone will spy on that 24 hour Internet connection and see it contains all your data about what you did on your XBox.
  • I think getting rid of the used game market is a good thing. When I buy a game, I buy it because I want to play it. If I'm not playing it, it waits for me in my 'library'.

A physical library takes up space, a digital library occupies less physical space.

Also it's a stick for developers to make good games. If you couldn't resell a game, it makes deciding to buy a game more meaningful. No more impulse buying.

If the game is really good with lots of content, that you will want to keep it and continue playing it. You wouldn't really have a reason to want to sell it. Unless you were desperate for cash.

If it's a crappy game, just don't buy it.

When developers realise they aren't making sales, maybe that's incentive to really drive in quality in their production. I don't know.

But it does create a hole in the economy, you're purchasing something that has no return monetary value means that money can only flow one way.

But how many things do you pay for already that has a no refund policy? Every item on XBLA is already none refundable.

At least with a physical copy you can return it and get some money back.
  • Biggest Sony news not mentioned here. Indie devs can self publish on PS4. Are SONY's days of evil over? This is the same company that malwared everybody in the music CDs.
    Didn't Xbox 360 already have this? And didn't it result in a sea of crapest crap?

• I honestly think that's more about gathering data than stopping piracy. A jailbroken XBox won't connect to the net and will just play games locally. They want to know what games you are playing and for how long. I guarantee someone will spy on that 24 hour Internet connection and see it contains all your data about what you did on your XBox.
    Yah, accurate information regarding our spending habits is a product, and the game console is the factory for it.
    I honestly think that's more about gathering data than stopping piracy. A jailbroken XBox won't connect to the net and will just play games locally. They want to know what games you are playing and for how long. I guarantee someone will spy on that 24 hour Internet connection and see it contains all your data about what you did on your XBox.
    If that was true, why not just gather from the people who choose to connect anyway. If you don't want to connect then don't get their data. Also, if it is data they want, why 24 hour limit? They can get the same data over a week or month.
    Didn't Xbox 360 already have this? And didn't it result in a sea of crapest crap?

Hey! We got gems like No Luca No.
  • If that was true, why not just gather from the people who choose to connect anyway. If you don't want to connect then don't get their data. Also, if it is data they want, why 24 hour limit? They can get the same data over a week or month.
    Probably cause of accuracy. They have to compete with other companies who are collecting increasingly accurate information on you.
  • Doesn't MS already do this with Xbox rewards?
  • Another point, if the periodic internet connection was for data gathering, why do they cut off your game if you dont? If you can't connect then cutting your game off wont get them the data anyways, so they have nothing to gain from doing so. This is obviously for antipiracy.
  • Another point, if the periodic internet connection was for data gathering, why do they cut off your game if you dont? If you can't connect then cutting your game off wont get them the data anyways, so they have nothing to gain from doing so. This is obviously for antipiracy.
    I can only speculate it might be a security measure for things like on-disc DLC. If it worked offline, you could theoretically do a simpler hack to enable all the DLC on disc without paying.
  • They really probably want to ensure that you get all that social garbage pushed at you and prevent cheating (even in single-player games).
  • Maybe they also want to push ads on you?
    It's an incentive to get online so they can collect more data from you. A dude gaming offline is not sending you sweet sweet personal data candy.
  • I think the requirement for an internet connection is another stick for you to obviously be connected to at least an xbox live silver account, then they'll tease and squeeze you until you purchase a xbox live gold subscription.

More gold subs, more monies.
  • Some facts on PS4.
    Region free is pretty fucking awesome.
  • PS4 is doing the PS+ online gaming paywall? Boooooo!!!!!
  • Sony needs money too