This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Google's purchase of YouTube (now official)

edited October 2006 in Everything Else
Slashdot link

This seems like a dumb move to me. YouTube isn't very profitable. I just don't see anything good coming out of this for anyone. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Better Design or interface?
    Or maybe Google felt like declaring themselves against the media establishment by obtaining one of the primary methods of violation?
  • Youtube is great, but its a money pit right now. With any luck Google can manage to turn it around... if anyone can I guess its them.
  • Youtube is great, but its a money pit right now. With any luck Google can manage to turn it around... if anyone can I guess its them.
    Of course, but how can you manage to make the site profitable? Ads aren't quite doing it for them now.
  • Let's also remember there there are a whole lot of copyright issues that are unresolved. Time Warner came on board, but Universal is having nothing to do with it.
  • Of course, but how can you manage to make the site profitable? Ads aren't quite doing it for them now.
    Thats what they need to figure out. Well they really haven't used ads at all. If you look at their site there really isn't anything at all. All they really make money on now are deals with NBC and some other companies to promote the material they post. Considering Google is basically an advertising company, and also that so many people go to youtube, it's definitly perfect for ads.
  • Of course if the ads get too intrusive, people will have no problem jumping ship to any one of the numerous competitors.
  • People thought Google was going to sink because they refused to splatter ads all over that glorious search page of theirs. It's always been (unless you customize it) just a blank white page with the Google logo and the search field. I think they already have a business plan to make YouTube just as profitable. You don't sink a billion bucks into something if you don't have the means to make it work.
  • You don't sink a billion bucks into something if you don't have the means to make it work.
    Tell that to Time Warner. :-)
  • Hahahaha. True. Did anyone try AOL's TV shows on demand service before it went belly-up a couple of months ago? There were several old shows (Eight Is Enough, Growing Pains, Lois & Clark, Batman, etc.) that could be watched via streaming video with a YouTube-like format, but there were commercials spliced directly into every "chapter" (two to three minutes apart). They could not be skipped. I think YouTube/Google's flash technology might make that a more viable option to solve the cashflow problem.
  • Yay! Google is redesigning Youtube like a majority of it's other services.

Try it here.
  • Yay! Google is redesigning Youtube like a majority of it's other services.
    Cool. Signed on to that test. Here is the first page of Cosmic Panda I got.
  • A panda with a lightsaber and nyancat all on the same page? It's like they tailored it for ME.
  • I got that too! They really DO know us!
  • A panda with a lightsaber and nyancat all on the same page? It's like they tailored it for ME.
    And cheezburger, HBO and rickrolls.
  • and tyts.