This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Challenge Runs in Video Games

edited July 2013 in Video Games
So my big geekery of the moment is doing/watching/reading Nuzlocke runs of Pokemon, along with the many variations thereof. I think depending on how one shapes the rules, it's a cool way to either up the game's difficulty for oneself, or to just change the experience enough to make it fresh again. Plus if you're sentimental like me, it can be an avenue toward more investment in your team, and for storytelling purposes.

Got me thinking that a lot of people do self-imposed challenges like that in other games, be they for single or multi-player games, like the "No sword in Zelda" challenge or the infamous "No items, Fox only, Final Destination" in Super Smash Bros. I'm not a super hardcore gamer myself, so I don't have a long list of video games I've beaten in normal mode, let alone with crazy restrictions, but I still really like the idea of people imposing their own extra set of rules to abide by within an established set of rules provided by a video game.

So what kind of challenge runs have you tried, or would you like to try? Any impressive runs done by others you would recommend?
Post edited by Eryn on

Comments

• I remember doing a three heart run in Ocarina of Time way back when. Back then it seemed like the most badass thing in the world.
  • One of my crowning achievements in gaming was beating House of the Dead 2 while saving every single hostage. It's not quite self-imposed challenge because there is the carrot of some easter eggs if you can pull it off, but it's definitely not a mandatory thing to do, and I set out to do so.
  • In Zelda 1 I've gotten white sword without getting sword.

I am thinking of maybe trying Mega Man 2 with no metal blade. Or maybe Metal Blade is only allowed on bosses.
  • "No items, Fox only, Final Destination"
    This is not a challenge, this is whiners being whiny.

Nuzlocke runs are terrible to watch imho. Cartoon digests are THE ONE AND ONLY way to consume a Nuzlocke run. The converse is true for Dark Souls challenge runs. Those can be hilarious.
  • edited July 2013
    Pete and I used to play Super Punch Out with our feet (using an arcade controller thingy) and try to beat each others times.
    Post edited by johndis on
  • Pete and I used to play Super Punch Out with our feet (using an arcade controller thingy) and try to beat each others times.
    I remember participating in some Soul Calibur 4 tournaments played using DDR dance-pads. Those were some seriously fun times.
  • At RIT we did blind Monkey Ball and Trash Talk Mario Tennis (64).
  • edited July 2013
    Things I have done:

- Upside down Dr. Mario
    - No Death 93* Super Mario World
    - No Death Run of Banjo Kazooie
    - 120 star Super Mario 64 runs in less than 12 hours
    - Blindfolded Mario Bros levels
    - No Death perfect runs of Zelda 1
    - No Cheating version of track and field (still hate cheetah)
    - P Cannon Only in Mega Man 7
    Post edited by Coldguy on
  • Ok, first person to do no-death Silver Surfer wins. GO.
  • edited July 2013
    In Kingdom Hearts 1, I beat Sephiroth without using equipment (except the basic Kingdom Key, of course), items, the Second Chance ability that allows you to survive his instant unblockable long range no-saving-throw instant death move (meaning I had to interrupt it every time), or any of the active attack abilities (Ars Arcanum, Strike Raid, etc).

It wasn't so much a self-imposed challenge, as it was a 15 year old boy frothing at the mouth for Kingdom Hearts 2 (unknowing of the ensuing disappointment).

edit: Here's someone doing something similar, for reference of how little damage the fucker takes. It's like beating a moose to death with a wet tube sock.
    Post edited by Xefas on
  • Toejam & Earl is ripe for this sort of thing.
  • Doom, Nightmare, fist and chainsaw only.

GO!
  • Apreche, you premature suggester. Let people list the shit they've done first. Also, you have your own fucking threads for it called FRC Grand Prix.
  • Apreche, you premature suggester. Let people list the shit they've done first. Also, you have your own fucking threads for it called FRC Grand Prix.
    Those won't work for Grand Prix because they are impossible.
  • And Galaga is. image
  • Totally agree there are a mountain of dire boring Nuzlocke video runs. Blegh. But for whatever reason, I do like watching decently made ones, even a couple that should by all rights be the boring-est but that I enjoy anyway. Couldn't tell you why; I just do.

Oh mans, all the Mario ones. I should see what can be done with Mario 3D Land, because that game was my jam when it came out. Would love a reason to pick up my 3DS again before Pokemon X & Y come out.
  • I missed your voice, Nine.

The season of challenge runs: broke and bored with a half-broken Nintendo thing. You've got three shitty games and one really good one. go.
  • Totally agree there are a mountain of dire boring Nuzlocke video runs. Blegh. But for whatever reason, I do like watching decently made ones, even a couple that should by all rights be the boring-est but that I enjoy anyway. Couldn't tell you why; I just do.
    ProJared has the best one I've ever seen. Probably the best Let's Play because he edits it, keeps in the great stuff and keeps everything alive with the images.

Along with this, let's bring up the MAGFest Challenges. The last two times I went, I haven't seen much of the other people get involved with them. I usually try to challenge myself like "No-Hit Run of Green Greens in Kirby Super Star" or "Get an S Rank of Jumping Jack Flash on Insane Difficulty."

Also, Mike Tyson Round 1 KO. Let's Do This!
  • edited July 2013
    I got some pretty damn high scores in Elite Beat Agents and Ouendan 2 a while back and unlocked just about everything in both. It's been a while. I should load EBA up again to see if I still got it. Sadly, I think I have lost my Ouendan 2. :c

Thanks for the recommendation! Will check it out. Sounds like the kind of LPs I like best.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • The only kinds of challenge runs I did were mostly on games like Sonic adventure when I didn't have that many other games to play. Nowadays I have so many games I haven't even touched that I can't see doing that many unless its something I'm really good at or really love. One of the few I've done was beat the developers ghost in a level of Mario Kart DS. I played that track for days and days to the point where when I was riding in the car and the person in front of us turned, I had the urge to start snaking around that corner.
  • edited July 2013
    ProJared has the best one I've ever seen. Probably the best Let's Play because he edits it, keeps in the great stuff and keeps everything alive with the images.
    Watching this right now. Oh gods, the editing. So good. I think I'd watch a lot more Let's Plays if I could get this perfect combo of decent sound quality, basic editing, and a commentator who isn't a fuckwit.
    Post edited by Xefas on
  • One of my friends in high school (during the time) supposedly had a record for the fastest Metroid Zero Mission speedrun.
  • I got some pretty damn high scores in Elite Beat Agents and Ouendan 2 a while back and unlocked just about everything in both. It's been a while. I should load EBA up again to see if I still got it. Sadly, I think I have lost my Ouendan 2. :c
    Some of them are monstrous. I played Samurai Blue for atleast 4 hours straight to get an S Rank. (And other times...just plain beat it.)
  • Beat You Only Live Once without dying once. Failed, of course. It was worth a shot.
  • Feels appropriate to post here.

Oooh...that ending. And it put everything into perspective of the risk of that kind of challenge. Especially after bingeing on so much Spelunky, Isaac and Rogue Legacy...imagine doing one with tons of hours. I may be tempted to do that with Pokemon X/Y as it comes out, but after I've beaten the game regularly.