This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Benefits of belief

edited October 2006 in Flamewars
This seems an interesting topic to explore, but was brought up in a thread where debate about it would be neither appropriate nor helpful, so I started this thread to get into it a bit.
Posted By: SparkybuzzedAs far as the rest of it, a belief in a higher power does not mean I have a vision of a scary old man in the clouds. It's very Greek/Roman and not quite what I have in mind. I don't know what the issue is with believing in some type of higher power or spiritual essence that connects us all. Forget the heaven/hell-religion argument. Just the idea that there is a spiritual - or "supernatural" - connection between all of us and all of the universe is comforting to many billions of people.

Also, the argument that things shouldn't be brought up because no one will change their minds is ridiculous. Discussion always sparks interest and a lively conversation that can serve to show the differences between people. I don't dislike anyone for not believing in anything, the same way I would expect to not be disliked instantly for believing. I completely respect the choices some of you have made. Don't understand them, but respect them.
First, I'll address the last point. I don't expect to change anyone's mind by debating religion, but I agree that discussion encourages contemplation, and getting to know yourself and your beliefs better is a Good ThingTM.

Your argument for faith on the grounds that it is "comforting" shares a major issue with pascal's wager: both assume that one can choose what they believe, which I disagree with. I certainly agree that one can twist evidence to fit a world view they hold (or would like to hold), but one cannot simply change one's beliefs as a matter of choice without a major shift in perceived evidence. To illustrate my point, try to simply change your mind about your beliefs on gravity, and begin earnestly believing that the next time you drop something, it will "fall" up. It would be more convenient in many cases to believe in a higher power, but for us atheists, the claim that there is a supernatural entity of some variety is as outrageous as the claim that things fall up: changing someone's opinion on either matter would require quite extraordinary evidence.

Now, as I mentioned, one could either be selective in their observations or twist observed evidence enough to convince themselves that such a being does exist. To me, however, this is the worst kind of dishonesty: lying to yourself. This is the most common way that harmful falsehoods and unscientific beliefs are spread, and the power of it is quite astounding at times. To quote American Beauty, "Never underestimate the power of denial."

Finally, as to the point (raised in another post) that atheism is sad, with the implication that a secular world view must be inherently disheartening without the belief in some manner of "link" between us all, I can only say "bullocks." The search for commonality among humanity does not have to be approached the way you approach it. The interdependence of humanity is real and verifiable, and needs not look to the supernatural for demonstration. We affect those around us whether <random god concept> made it that way or not.

//EDIT: turned "random god" into a tag...that's what I get for posting with a head cold

Comments

• edited October 2006
    To continue on your last paragraph, belarm, the connection runs throughout all humanity, every other life form, the earth, etc... the connection exists without the supernatural.

I really think it so incredibly important to acknowledge this connection without some spiritual aspect. All aspects of life connect to all other aspects of life. If people choose to see a spiritual connection as well as a scientific connection, that is their right, but the science is there, unquestionably.

By the way... "The Circle of Life" is now stuck in my head... make its stop.. MAKE IT STOP!
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I forgot who said this, I think it was either a scientist or a monk (monks used to be goos scientists such as Mendel , right? Of course he failed the teaching exam three times so he had to content by being a monk and starting the era of genetics or at least the first steps :P ) Well what i wanted to say is that someone once said:
    "The more I understand about nature the closer I feel to God"
    To tell you all the truth I heard that on the discovery channel a looooong time ago, and know that I think about it might have being a monk :P
  • "The more I understand about nature the closer I feel to God"
    I wish more people in the religious movement shared your views. It seems all fundamentalists missed the part where science is amazing and wondrous. My introduction to science was from people showing it to me as something that glorified God.

Of course, it obviously didn't take, and maybe people just stopped doing that...
  • From what I can tell from looking at various religions' approaches to death, there's little acknowledgement of the simple obvious connections between all things that have ever existed because there's a greater concern with the conscious person. If you're uncomfortable with the idea that when you die you may not continue to exist as a conscious individual but only as your past, present and future effect on the universe then death is scary and bad and religion is the only way to live a life not full of despair. So religion is comforting if you can't accept that concept. If that makes any sense.

I think to anyone who seriously considers the scenarios set forth by any religion for what happens after death it all sounds pretty awful. How can you exist as a conscious thing forever? Wouldn't it get dead boring? Would you not go insane? If you're reborn without any memory of your previous self do you still exist? Really? If you can't honestly believe in one of those options then being religious just isn't possible.

To an atheist religion is sad in a false hope kind of way. :/ To someone with religion Atheism is sad because they don't know the Truth, man. Even assuming you can choose your beliefs, I'd rather be out of the loop and find out I was wrong when I die than take a chance at one of the many religions available and probably be wrong and die without making my peace. *shrugs*

Chronocross_xp: I think a lot of famous people have said similar things throughout history... I recall a number of the great men of science considered themselves Christian yet seemed to have this concept of God as the universe and everything in it...which is a pretty good workaround for not actually believing in a literal God and literal bible while still being able to claim you're religious in the social climate of the time. :p
  • I guess one of the things that just kinda nags at me is the difference between Agnosticism and Atheism. I understand Agnosticism. Even the slightest inkling of "Well, yeah, there's something out there greater than me" makes much more sense to me than strict Atheism. When I mentioned that I thought that Atheism was sad, it wasn't a fundy "Have you found Jesus" moment. (BTW...he was under my couch) I think that Atheism is a pessimistic view of the universe. I also think that too many people claim to be Atheists for reasons that I would normally file under "Crisis of Faith" territory. Usually it revolves around a close relative dying unexpectedly and asking for proof of God's existence. Of course, request denied.

Almost all of the time, belief is irrational and illogical. It can't be proven and it lies upon speculation. That's what faith is.

Also, can I mention here that I really feel strange being the person sticking up for religion? I'm usually the one sticking to my science over stupidity argument with fundamentalists. I live in the Bible Belt and am an avid supporter of "Keep Your Religion Out of My Business" politics. Weird.
  • I say again, Atheism is not 'sad'. The very core of your argument is based on a term that is subjective. To me, 'sad' is ignoring FACT because fact makes you feel uncomfortable.

Believing is something is fine. I could go into many subjective things I feel about people and the 'supernatural', but I'm usually polite enough to keep my beleifs from encroaching on others', demanding they think as I do, or making backhanded comments.

\Your argument is bad
    \\And you should feel bad.
  • The problem with just saying "Atheism" is that there are so many kinds of Atheist. Put two Atheists in a room together and get them to debate worldviews and there's a reasonable chance they'll disagree with each other on something really fundamental. Plus I'd say being Atheist and saying you are Atheist are different things... I know plenty of Christians and Buddhists I don't consider Christian or Buddhist in any way aside from the fact they sometimes sit in a room with a number of other people who consider themselves Christian/Buddhist for an hour or so on Sunday mornings / seemingly random occasion.

Atheism doesn't have to be pessimistic. I could argue that only an Atheist could ever believe in the fundamental goodness of humanity given that a great sweeping majority of religions promote good behaviour as a means of avoiding punishment. You're despicable and there's nothing you can do about it but maybe if you accept that and act nice we'll let you off the hook, eh? To me that reeks of pessimism and it's a basic idea a number of major religions are based on. Conversely, does that mean non-religious people are good because they...just are? They certainly don't believe they're going to be hit by lightning if they steal that kid's lollipop, what ever could be stopping them? *shrugs*

Having said that, there are probably brands of Atheism that are pessimistic. Hey, why not? But to say that all Atheists are pessimistic bitter old sods would be an enormous generalisation and only refers to an extreme point of view held by a few. I can see where you'd get that idea but...not true. :/

And hey, don't worry about sticking up for religion. I'll happily stick up for religious beliefs under the right circumstances. One does occasionally encounter real pessimistic Atheist sods who need some life beat into 'em. :B
  • edited October 2006
    "I think that Atheism is a pessimistic view of the universe. I also think that too many people claim to be Atheists for reasons that I would normally file under "Crisis of Faith" territory. Usually it revolves around a close relative dying unexpectedly and asking for proof of God's existence. Of course, request denied."

I have a real problem with the Atheist = Pessimist statement here. I was raised by an agnostic mother and an atheist father, and most of their friends, as well as mine, are atheists as well, and I have found that they are all loving, caring, HAPPY people. Some are happier and more content than my religious friends that feel conflicted over their religion and their nature (i.e. desire for sex, homosexuality, etc.). In the world at large you can see that many "religious" people are fearful of death, and this fear can be a basis for great turmoil. This can also be experienced by the Agnostic that internally battles for an answer to a question they will never have. Many atheists are fully functioning, happy people who are content and have made peace with the natural cycle of life and death.

The people that you describe, those who have crisis of faith over death, malice, etc. They may very well be pessimistic, but that most certainly does not encompass the majority of atheists. Many Atheist come to the determination that there is no God or Gods owing to an understanding of science, not through the brutal and, I might add, selfish way you describe. (Selfish because they were people who did believe in God, accepting that God's unfathomable plan was above contestation, but then when it doesn't go their way, f*ck that God... if they did have faith in the first place, that sounds like a selfish child to me.) Also, you seem to be making the assumption that a belief in God is the default position for mankind, some people have not been raised with that belief, others might have rejected it right off the bat when it was presented to them, etc. It is a ridiculous argument to assert that anyone requires a belief in God, Gods, the Great Spirit, etc. to be happy. Atheists, just like any other human beings are capable of deep joy and profound happiness.

On a personal note, I have never seen proof of God; therefore, I do not think God exists. However, that does not mean that evidence will never present itself, it just seems unlikely, based on the track record, that it ever will. Despite my lack of belief in God, I describe myself as an Apathetic, not and Atheist. No matter what I do or do not believe in, it does not change the "T"ruth of the matter, so why even concern myself. I merely focus on the world as it is. Life as it is. The rest is (or isn't) in the gods' hands, so what do I care?
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • I think that Atheism is a pessimistic view of the universe.
    For me, the most fundamental effect of atheism on one's world view is that one is fully responsible for one's own successes and failures. I don't have to thank anyone when I leverage a skill to get something I want, but I don't get to blame anyone when I don't act to my full capacity. I know some people consider that ultimate personal responsibility frightening, but I personally find it uplifting and challenging.

This lines up pretty well with what I know of the popular Jewish beliefs on the afterlife: basically that there is none, and your reward for doing good in your life is that it makes the world a better place long after you die. (Feel free to correct me on this, I freely admit I've never been to synagogue, and only discussed this with drunken Jews)

Another argument I've heard raised is that since an atheist has no faith in anything, he has no central guiding principal; no creed, so to speak. Of course, even without faith in the supernatural, most world views include some measure of faith. Humanism maintains faith in the human race, capitalism in both the correctness of the market and the tendency for people to "vote with their wallets", etc. While these faiths are not as grandiose as belief in a heaven or hell, they do have benefits: they're based in reality (or at least deal with the natural world), they can be debated more easily than religious concepts, and they can change with time. I would also submit that the effects of this type of faith are more beneficial to the world than any religion has been.
    Also, can I mention here that I really feel strange being the person sticking up for religion?
    Nothing wrong with playing "Devil's Advocate" from time to time ;-)
  • edited October 2006
    Nothing wrong with playing "Devil's Advocate" from time to time ;-)
    I do appreciate that comment. I've been feeling a bit weird about the whole thing here and how I really feel about atheism. I hope I'm not coming across as intolerant or pushy.

I think we're getting some contexts wrong here. I never stated, and do not feel, that atheism causes one to be sad or depressed. It does not cause one (generally) to change one's views about people. I am talking in the much larger, universal sense. To me, the idea that this life is all there is is pessimistic. It is a defeatist philosophy. Have I seen logical proof of an afterlife? Nope. Will I? Nope. But I believe in it. Have I - or anyone else - ever seen proof of the existence of a god? Nope. Will we? Nope. But I still believe.

Science is not the opposite of religion/faith. Science can help further enhance belief if it is understood and explored, as was quoted earlier in the posting. I'm a choral director and professional vocalist. I have an understanding of the anatomy of the voice, the physics of sound, and the mathematical theory behind harmonics and music. Does this make it any less wonderful and amazing? No. It enhances my enjoyment.
    I would also submit that the effects of this type of faith are more beneficial to the world than any religion has been.
    It is Kinda hard to support either way. Religion drove Western culture for so long that putting forth a statement like that is a bit stretchy. If you put a time limit on it, perhaps, but not ever. Even reversing it and saying that religion has done more harm than capitalism/humanism/etc is a stretch. More wars were caused in the 19th and 20th centuries by economics than religion. But, my main argument has never been for religion. It has been for faith. BIIIIIIIIIIG difference.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • To me, the idea that this life is all there is is pessimistic. It is a defeatist philosophy.
    This is quite a statement. How is the idea that this life is what we have defeatist? If this is what we have, we are called to do the most and the best we can with the time we have. That is the opposite of defeatism and of pessimism; it is a call to be passionate and to live life now. Rather than look to this life as some insignificant prelude to eternity, as a test[1], non-belief screams for us to do what we can to make the world better, because that is what will be left when we are gone. I fail in this more than I would like, but sloth, not my non-belief, is the culprit.

I see belief in the afterlife as pessimistic. It denigrates this life, reducing it to banking enough good mojo to gain admittance to the good times to come. It implicitly cheapens this life, as it is a mere iota, a scintilla, of time compared to the glorious immortality to come. It is the poisonous idea behind horrific acts, such as suicide bombers, and merely idiotic, evil acts, such as hobbling stem cell research lest people be pushed away from the path to Heaven.

Defeatist, indeed.

Cheers,

Hank
    [1] From the wisdom of Dr. Gregory House.
  • To berlam: Well, even though I share your views about that "one is fully responsible for one's own successes and failures", I do not share that it is "the most fundamental effect of atheism on one's world view", well at least for me considering that I am Catholic, and I do believe that everyon traces its own destiny. I totaaly refuse to believe that someones destiny if written before someone is born. Let's see a simple example in failure: If someone does not study for a exam is just stupid to blame it on God. If someone have unprotected sex and get pregnat is stupid to blame it on God or in the other person (both persons are at fault), right? . Is the same case if someone gets an A, is for that persons own merit. I hate taking sample from the Bible (really, I do, I like reading it but not to preach) from Cain and Abel, when both of them were offering their sacrifices, Cain i think gave vegetables and Able gave animals. God was pleased with Abel because he worked hard and care for its job. Neither of them got anyhelp from God. Of course Cain was angry and killed his brother. Sometimes I think way God did not stop it him, and I think it because we have free will. Of course He got cursed byt eternity, but those were biblical times so maybe he just got exiled and the story was exagerated, or something like that. We can do whatever we want and that is why I believe we trace our own destinies.

Well enough of my ranting and preaching ( i had nothing better to do after my physiology exam). I also believe what I wrote because as my father always tells me "the only thing that can't be stoped is death", well at least for now ( well now I am just talking CRAZY :P )
  • Thanks Cowdog, I totally agree. No matter what your belief system, this is the only existence you know is 100% for sure. We can disagree on the existence of an afterlife or a beforelife, but nobody will argue about the existence of regular life. To believe in an afterlife is to say that this life is not so important. Talk about pessimism! If less people believed in an afterlife, they would care a lot more about this real life, and everything would be better for everyone.

Also, I can't look upon faith with respect. You should not be proud that you believe in things without supporting evidence. Hey, look at me! I believe that there are flying pigs living below the surface of the earth! There's no evidence, but that's my faith. You should respect it, and having that faith makes me a better person. The existence of flying pigs, flying spaghetti monsters, a judeo-christan god, and psychic powers are all equally likely. I think it's pretty sad if you truly believe in any of them.

Sure, in my perfect world, all kinds of things would be true. I'd be able to teleport and read minds. I would never die, unless I wanted to. Electronics and motors would work without any power whatsoever. There would be all sorts of gods doing awesome stuff, and I would be one of them. I would like to believe that all these things are true, but I don't.

Everyone has the right to believe whatever they want. If believing in something makes you happy, you can do that. However, I will always discourage people from doing so. It is this disbelief in reality and belief of fantasy that causes most of the problems in our society. Give me an example of any bad thing that has ever happened in human society. The root cause is always that some people either believed something that was not true, or didn't believe something that was true.

I mean seriously. Would you rather continue believing a lie that makes you feel better, or would you believe the truth and make decisions based on that truth which actually make your life better? You aren't going to make the world a better place by imagining it.
  • edited October 2006
    The way I see this is... for example, let's say I want something to happen and I ask God for it. It is never gonna happen. The answer is that, if I see a little annoying kid crying because he does not have a toy or something like that, and I see his face, I simply am not gonna be giving him anything (crying kids are annoying. Believe me, I have 10 little cousins). and It gets even worse if I say: "Yeah, well I am sure you are not up to the task to do that awesome thing." Well, I would get more irritated and just leave the kid alone.

We are all anoying kids if we do not work hard for what we want, right?
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited October 2006
    Also, I can't look upon faith with respect. You should not be proud that you believe in things without supporting evidence. Hey, look at me! I believe that there are flying pigs living below the surface of the earth! There's no evidence, but that's my faith. You should respect it, and having that faith makes me a better person. The existence of flying pigs, flying spaghetti monsters, a judeo-christan god, and psychic powers are all equally likely. I think it's pretty sad if you truly believe in any of them.
    And you deny things without any supporting evidence. There are holes in the fossil record of this planet. You still believe that evolution occured (and still does) despite such inconsistencies? As an example:
    Molecular evidence further suggests that between 8 and 4 MYA, first the gorillas, and then the chimpanzee (genus Pan) split off from the line leading to the humans; we have no fossil record, however, of either group of African great apes, possibly because bones do not fossilize in rain forest environments.
    Give me an example of any bad thing that has ever happened in human society. The root cause is always that some people either believed something that was not true, or didn't believe something that was true.
    You know, you're right. And Nothing good ever came of people believing things considered wrong. Galileo believed in something thought to be false. Many people before the Wright brothers believed in something thought to be false.
    I mean seriously. Would you rather continue believing a lie that makes you feel better, or would you believe the truth and make decisions based on that truth which actually make your life better? You aren't going to make the world a better place by imagining it.
    How do you know it's a lie? What evidence do you have to prove that I (or anyone else) is wrong? And as I stated above, Catholics beleive in "Good Works." Making the world a better place makes us better people. And how does faith correlate to inaction? One can just as easily say that lack of faith points towards laziness. Neither correlate with the other. For better or for worse, religious people are the most motivated and active.

C'mon, Scott. You've got to have a better argument than the FSM. Perhaps you need a touch of his noodly appendage.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited October 2006
    Read this. I really don't have the time or patience to deal with you.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • You know, you're right. And nothing good ever came of people beleiving things considered wrong. Gallileo beleived in something thought to be false. Many people before the Wright Brothers beleived in something thought to be false.
    Believing something wrong and believing something considered wrong are two entirely different things. Galileo and the Wright brothers believed in things that turned out to be right, and they believed so based on empirical observations.
    And you deny things without any supporting evidence.
    Lacking belief in something for which there is zero evidence is logical and intelligent. That is different from affirming the lack of existence.

With religion, we're in a situation where there is zero evidence for, and yet substantial evidence against. No logical person can seriously therefore claim that believing contrary to the only evidence we have is a valid point of view.
    There are holes in the fossil record of this planet...
    You're not serious, are you? That line of argument has been thoroughly debunked. Furthermore, the acceptance of the Theory of Evolution has more to do with the fact that every piece of evidence we have either lends support to it or, in the very least, does not disprove it than it does with having to prove each and every piece of the theory.

Despite repeated inquiry, the theory has not yet been falsified. The chances of it being true are extremely high.
  • There are holes in the fossil record of this planet.
    DO SOME FUCKING RESEARCH! I don't have time to debunk this gotta go to Beacon to hang with the Frontrowcrew!
  • edited October 2006
    In my attempts to be devil's advocate, I seem to have upset people. Honestly, not my intention. I have not, nor will ever, support the idea of Creationism as outlined by most Mega-Christians. I was - poorly, I admit, trying to point toward the idea of belief without seeing.

Scott, your link did give me one good read: http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/CA/CA601_1.html

The ideas of both science and faith should not be separated. Faith can give us a moral view of science and science gives better understanding to the workings of the universe.

Again, apologies for the earlier poor argument. Not usually my style.

Edit: This will be my last post on this topic. I feel like the argument is not progressing and that I have made "verbal" missteps to harm the point of my argument. At some point in the future, I would love to have a discussion on religion/faith, etc. I just cannot continue in this thread.
    Post edited by Sparkybuzzed on
  • I don't think you upset anyone. Your mistake was in trying to use the Theory of Evolution as an example. No reasonable person can disagree with the preponderance of evidence supporting the theory.

As for the rest, everyone just seems to be disagreeing with you. That doesn't mean they're upset.