This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Secure Communication

2»

Comments

• Was that a troll or do you really say "all of the sudden"?
  • Encryption works, guys.
    I got my public key up on my website. I just need someone to start using it.
  • edited August 2013
    Ideally, you send all emails to a big list of people, and everyone important does the same. If all emails are encrypted, and all go to this list, then the metadata is munged. An observer can neither determine the contents of the communication, nor reliably who is communicating with whom. They can only tell that this list of email addresses is somehow linked.
    One way you could do this is piggyback on the Bitcoin blockchain. That is already an incredibly noisy environment. Send minimum amounts with the recipient address being the PGP encrypted message. Recipients monitor the blockchain and will immediately see the message when one of the addressess decrypts into plaintext.

Message length is quite short (per transaction), it costs "money", but if you use tor to send the message and monitor the blockchain, it is pretty much impossible (short of having compromised harware) to intercept or prove contact.

EDIT: Since learning about namecoin I have been thinking about other interesting ways to use the Bitcoin blockchain. Bitcoin as a digital curreny may or may not succeed, but the blockchain concept can support truly revolutionary ideas.
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • Seriously dudes, read Little Brother. It talks about all this stuff.
  • But the winning move in that novel, after all the cool tech and security know-how by the young people, is to get an adult to talk to a print journalist. In other words, it's all cool stuff, but merely a distraction.
  • A thought on the NSA gag orders.

Who is allowed to see the data requests from the NSA? How is the gag order worded?

Is the owner of a privately held company able to see the request? If they can then shouldn't the shareholders of a publicly owned company be privy to that same information?

Why can't a public company share this information with its owners (shareholders)?
  • edited September 2013
    Why can't a public company share this information with its owners (shareholders)?
    Because you live in a totalitarian police state, where the secret police puts you in forever jail if you talk about them or reveal their plans?

They actually also just eff you in the butt for simply not cooperating. With examples like that I wouldn't breathe about an NSA request to anyone -- even if I knew they knew.
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on