This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Vampire Romance

edited September 2013 in Anime
So I started watching one of the new shows this season, called Diabolik Lovers (which is why I'm posting this in the anime section), and I wanted to discuss why it feels distinctive from vampiric romances I've encountered in recent memory, as well as what makes a Vampire Romance work. But let's get something out of the way first; it is a harem and it was adapted from a light novel. For those who don't know, harem stories tend to be about a singular character who winds up picking a love interest from a group of people interested in them; but that's a discussion for another day. I think one of the aspects that sets this series apart from others of its kind is the element of threat. The vampire characters of this series feel like real monsters; the story effectively allows their threatening nature and sex appeal to bleed together in a way I haven't seen in a very long time. The protagonist feels as though she's in legitimate danger (she's even been bitten, which has become something of a line that stories like this don't tend to cross), and the story maintains suspense as to what her ultimate fate will be. From what I've seen, Vampire Romances have essentially taken to neutering their lead monsters, watering down the threat they carry in favor of safely capturing the 'bad boy' appeal in a different way for the viewing audience. I'd love to hear your thoughts.