This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

University Reloaded

So I'm going back to University, literally a decade since my last 2 degrees. I didn't need a laptop back then because I pretty much took notes by paper and pen if they were required and any statistics, presentation preparations or essays that needed to be written I did at home on my desktop.

Can I apply the same approach to a degree where I'll be doing a double major of "Computer Science" and "Applied Computing"?

Or would it be beneficial to pick up a laptop.
I can remember when I was in highschool I would scrawl out a page on solving calculus problems in a diagrammatic format so in my mind that is a vote for using the tried and tested pen and paper method (versus getting a laptop).

I don't have any reliable knowledge on laptop brands so any recommendations based on experiences would be of assistance. I always have a very powerful gaming desktop at home.
My initial thoughts on what I want would have to have excellent batterylife, lightweight, 12" - 14", nice keyboard, Windows OS preferred, less than $2000. It looks like Ultrabooks are where it's at.
I was looking at the Lenovo X1 Carbon or T440, Acer Aspire S7-392 or the Asus Zenbook 301LA or 302LG line.

I'm equally fine with just using a pen and paper though and I could put that $2000 into my next desktop build.

In regards to the course, these majors are strange they seem to include Computer Science, Information Technology and a bit of Software Engineering mixed together.

Is it worth doing both these majors or would I be fine picking Computer Science and picking what's useful from the Applied Computing course?

To give you an idea on what I'd like to hope for after this course -

- Developing Medical and Veterinary consultation, billing, reception and record keeping software suites that can integrate with digital x-ray machines, ultrasound imaging and automatically record blood results from in clinic machines

- Anatomically correct 3d game engine development or just game engine development

- Wouldn't mind doing database, web and networking stuff, pays amazingly well with good hours and high demand in the Australian market

- App development for peripheral wearable hardware, augmenting the medical field's use of technology

- I'm cool with moving I've moved countries and states multiple times before

I was astounded when I saw the contact hours for this degree it is 1/3 of what was required of Vet Science so hopefully I'll have some time to have a weekend job.

Are there any positions which would help give me a foot into the profession or is a minor position like that non existent?
I could always just do some retail job or "PC tech" guy stuff at places close by. I don't feel as if I need to work on customer and inter-employee relations considering my background in a very busy high pressure service field.

Comments

• I used a lenovo x201t, which is a tablet computer in the classic sense; that is to say the screen rotates and flips down. The lenovo x series tablets have a pressure sensitive wacom digitizer that makes it possible to write legibly on the screen. I used Microsoft OneNote for note taking so that I could easily combine hand written notes and diagrams with typed sections of text. It also allows for dropping in screen clippings and other documents for annotation.