This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics

Comments

• Let me know when the hockey starts. Fuck everything else, especially the Olympic Committee, the Russian Government, and NBC.
  • If you're going to draw the ire and disgust of the entire civilized world with your regressive, regrettable bullshit, you should probably try to minimize highly visible technical fuck-ups like this. Great start!
  • I'm just wondering when taking a shower became an Olympic sport.
  • Same time as Synchronized Bathroom.
  • muppet said:

If you're going to draw the ire and disgust of the entire civilized world with your regressive, regrettable bullshit, you should probably try to minimize highly visible technical fuck-ups like this. Great start!

There's a lot more fuckups going on in this than just that.
  • edited February 2014
    Austria already doing us proud:

The fuckups on the side of the organizations and the surrounding infrastructure go far beyond the .gif about. A lot of sports media people are telling a ton of stories of sludge coming out of the faucets, hotel rooms being in terrible conditions, and rooms being double-booked.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • $50+ billion on display for the world. :P
  • I'm just wondering when taking a shower became an Olympic sport.

I think the Greeks had something to do with that.
  • muppet said:

If you're going to draw the ire and disgust of the entire civilized world with your regressive, regrettable bullshit, you should probably try to minimize highly visible technical fuck-ups like this. Great start!

This was the red ring (representing north america), is the one that is half opened. ;^)

It's not like this is the only blunder in Opening Ceremony history however the corruption is much more obvious this time.

I hate watching the Australian mass media coverage, I streamed 2 minutes and had to turn it off - "Sochi is the Gold Coast of Russia".
  • Apreche said:

Let me know when the hockey starts.

Girls Ice Hockey US vs. Finland is on.

• sK0pe said:

Apreche said:

yeah it was 3am our time. No way. But we won!

• Apreche said:

sK0pe said:

Apreche said:

yeah it was 3am our time. No way. But we won!

That 53 second goal was very unexpected, I tabbed into the stream and there was an immediate goal.
  • Requiring a pay TV login to watch your country compete in the Olympics is some BS. That being said I have had my parent's cable subscription login since I set it up for them ~15 years ago.

So the NBC iPad app works really well. Did in 2012 as well. The website, on the other hand, is a complete fucking mess. It's near impossible to find a stream, and if you are watching live, but start from the beginning, it will SHUT OFF when the live event ends, and tell you the replay will be available to stream 6 hours later.
  • sK0pe said:

This was the red ring (representing north america), is the one that is half opened. ;^)

No country or continent is represented by any individual ring. The ring colors with the white background stand for those colors that appeared on all the national flags that competed in the first modern Olympic Games.
  • edited February 2014
    Men's Ice Hockey starts tomorrow!

Also, US women's hockey. Good luck beating us other countries!
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Apreche said:

Men's Ice Hockey starts tomorrow!

Also, US women's hockey. Good luck beating us other countries!

Yeah from the few games I've watched of Women's Ice Hockey, the coordination and movement on the ice is better executed by US and Canadian teams.

The Germany vs. Russia match was difficult to watch (after watching the other group's games) but also hilarious when the 16 year old Russian planted her face into the side board.

It's unfortunate the women have to wear so much makeup to sell themselves on looks rather than performance.
  • I have to choose between watching LAT vs SUI and CZE vs SWE. I'm thinking the latter will be a better game.
  • Yeah Sweden! Lundqvist with two assists on two goals.
  • Switzerland wins 1-0 scoring a goal with less than 8 seconds left to avoid overtime.