This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Audio Issue

edited October 2006 in Everything Else
Sigh... I hate to do this, but I've got a bit of a computer problem. A few weeks ago, iTunes 7 came out, and I downloaded it. It seemed pretty much more of the same, but I really liked that album-art-go-round thing it had. Anyway. After a couple days, when I listened to a song, it would start getting a bit scratchy/start skipping. I didn't really know what to make of this. It's not my speakers, it still does it when I have headphones plugged in. It got worse to the point that I just stopped using iTunes, but then it started doing it in other stuff too, like youtube videos, my new email sound, startup/shut down sound, etc. I downloaded the patched version of iTunes, 7.0.1 or something like that, but it didn't really help. I uninstalled iTunes, but the problem persists. I've had winamp on my computer, and I've been using that. It runs fine when only that is running, but the second I open up Thunderbird or Firefox it comes to almost a complete stop. I've never had this before, and I can't figure out what is going on.

Here's what I've done so far:

Updated antivirus and scanned for viruses, spyware, etc.
Tried the updated iTunes version
Updated sound card drivers
Uninstalled iTunes
Updated Thunderbird

And here's what I've got:
Windows XP (fully updated)
Realtek High Definition Audio
Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 10.1.4.4010 (thought this might have had something to do with it at first)
Also, in my device manager, under sound devices, I've got this thing called Legacy audio drivers. Not sure what that is.

So I think that's all I can tell you. If you have any ideas that might help, please, give them. The only thing I can think of any more is a hardware problem, and for that I'd have to send it in to get repaired. Thanks.

Comments

• DId you try completely removing your audio drivers then reinstalling them? Also are you using a sound card or are you using the sound from your mother board?
  • DId you try completely removing your audio drivers then reinstalling them?
    Not yet, worth a shot.
    Also are you using a sound card or are you using the sound from your mother board?
    I don't know, it's a laptop, though.