This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Monday - Search Technology

Tonight on GeekNights, after doing a show on Dentistry and Dentistry, we discuss how to search for things. In the news, Netflix pays out to Comcast to keep movies streaming (see peering and tiered networks), and Microsoft Killed my Pappy.

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• Apparently, Scott's knowledge of Jews is rubbing off on Rym. I think the Hatzfelds would have been much nicer neighbors to the McCoy's. Less shooting, and just more moaning, groaning, and kvetching.
  • I'd be down for some redos of old general advice episodes, like the "how not to suck" ("to not"?) series.
  • You guys should use a transcription service! Then Google can get all up in your archives and find every time you've ever talked about dentists. :p

Like, here:
    http://www.voicebase.com/autonotes/private_detail/460244/hash=bZqVYmhplW1qZ5qVlWpib2ubmW8=

You can search just this episode and see two instances of "dentist" already.

(Disclosure: my brother works at Voicebase, the startup I linked to above.)
  • You guys should use a transcription service! Then Google can get all up in your archives and find every time you've ever talked about dentists. :p

Like, here:
    http://www.voicebase.com/autonotes/private_detail/460244/hash=bZqVYmhplW1qZ5qVlWpib2ubmW8=

You can search just this episode and see two instances of "dentist" already.

(Disclosure: my brother works at Voicebase, the startup I linked to above.)

Our podcast is available under a Creative Commons Attribution license. Under the terms of that license, you can transcribe the podcast to your heart's content. I have had multiple such services ask me for their business. They have all asked us to pay or place ads in our show. Sorry bro, no can do.

If you have transcriptions of the show in text form you would like to submit to us, you can do so via Github. Accepted pull requests will appear on the site as soon as they are merged.

https://github.com/Apreche/FRC-Shownotes

example: http://frontrowcrew.com/geeknights/20100607/cyberization/
  • What if they just asked for "Transcription provided by DJ Pretzel Dogescribe"? I don't have a dog in the fight, just curious.
  • So does Google still modify your search results based on your search and web history? I have found lately that some of my Google searches have been near useless due to similar search terms.

I have also noticed that even when I try to limit my search to a certain geographic area (say pizza joints in Hartford) I still get tons of results that are not in or near Hartford.
  • Rym says "You guys are sick of my sky stories, so I'll keep it short". He then spends 15% of the start of the show talking about skiing. (I've included Scott talking about how deadly skiing is and how Rym is going to die a horrible death).
  • edited February 2014
    I like that schtick. When Rym has his first real accident or injury it'll only get better.
    Post edited by Luke Burrage on
  • I like that schtick. When Rym has his first real accident or injury it'll only get better.

I obviously don't want rym to actually be injured or killed, but I do like being right.

• If you like being right why not say things like,"I predict Rym will have fun skiing and not hurt himself"???
  • Sadly, due to travel, I can't ski for the next two weeks...
  • Noooo, I was hoping we could go skiing next weekend!
  • Rym said:

Sadly, due to travel, I can't ski for the next two weeks...

Travel has its own dangers.

• Cremlian said:

Noooo, I was hoping we could go skiing next weekend!

Fuck it, I'll go skiing with you for reals. Although at this point it's probably more worthwhile to get rentals than to fix up my old skis.
  • Damn, I haven't been skiing in like 2 years. Granted, it was also my first and only time, but I had a blast... Here's hoping when the kid's a bit older we can leave him with a babysitter while the spousal overunit and I hit up Wachusett or something.
  • Wait wait, why does Scott think Abraham Lincoln was evil?
  • edited March 2014
    I've skied/snowboarded for roughly 15 years or so and I've never injured myself seriously. I've knocked the wind out of myself several times, heard by back crack, etc. But I've never broken a bone or even sprained something.

Technically I've hurt myself more riding my bike. When I was eight I fell off my bike and my knee landed on a rock and I had to get stitches and I still have a huge scar on my knee. I've also split my foot open slipping on a water slide staircase but I digress.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Skiing has very real danger of injury, but then again so does walking out your door.
  • The thing that I trust more about skiing than I do driving or riding a bike is I rarely need to worry about other people's stupidity. There's no asshole not paying attention to where they're going and run into you. Now I should preface this by saying that indeed happens quite a bit but it's also manageable 95% of the time. The downside is you need to have the experience to take the empty runs. There are plenty of runs that inexperienced people don't even know exist.
  • When I skied regularly I injured myself frequently, but that was more because I was an idiot teenager than anything else. I skied very frequently and from a very young age, and was fairly skilled, but not nearly as skilled as I imagined myself to be. Combined with a teenaged enthusiasm for doing dumb shit, and I hurt myself quite frequently.

That said, for all the insane bullshit I did I never got anything worse than some bruises. This is in part because I always wore a helmet (which really helped when I, for example, tried to ski under a sign which was about a foot shorter than it looked from fifty feet away) but also because most ski injuries of old were the result of equipment. Used to be, your ski went at a bad angle, so did your leg, and that was that. Now, your ski just comes off, you have big heavy boots that distribute the impact, and you just fall over in the snow.

For all the stupid shit I did, the worst I ever got hurt was legit out of my control. I crested a small bump only to find the other side was, for some ungodly reason, a flat patch of straight-up ice, so when my weight came back down on my skis they just skidded out from under me and, no shitting, I rotated a perfect 180 degrees before my head hit the ground and I started tumbling down the hill. Ski Patrol had to come get me and everything, I took a ride down the hill in their little ski stretcher, and for all that all I got was a big gnarly bruise.

I would say that with modern gear, you pretty much have to either be mad old, or deliberately trying in order to actually, seriously injure yourself.