This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Thursday - Air Travel

13»

Comments

• SWATrous said:

How long is the Malta flight? Seems like an annoying trip to make in that kind of situation...

And Cali to UK... that's certainly a flight you'd want to do first class if at all possible. Similar would be US to Asia. Or probably Asia from anywhere that's not Asia for that fact.

Getting to Asia is faster than getting from the east coast to the west coast of the US and has better service. Plus the airports are actually comfortable compared to the shitholes that pass for US airports.
  • edited April 2014
    Catching up on episodes - Scott's right about pilot pay, and their union, but I think I know where he got the idea, too - From me. And it's true - Here. Where even asshole purser me was getting six figures net. Not in the US, the US is well fucked, and pilot pay is a bloody joke - there was a point where pilots were able to qualify for food stamps, in the 90s and early 2000s, IIRC. Flight attendants at some airlines still do.

Edit - And from the episode after this, talking about Pete getting a hearing test, I actually used him as an example to get my Nan to update and start wearing her hearing aids.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • About alcohol in duty free stores. In Brazil alcoholic beverages are taxed to hell. It's so much cheaper on duty free that couples sometimes buy all the alcoholic beverages for their wedding at the duty free. It's like half of what we pay here. Generally I get a couple of bottles when I get in Brazil. And since you can buy it at the airport you arrive, it's very convenient. Also there is extra quota of untaxed goods you can bring for the duty free. Our maximum through customs is 500 dollars of goods. There are a lot of details I figure are really boring so I'll stop here.
  • I have a 16 hour flight to London next month and I'm stuck in the middle of big row aisle. Hopefully it's not too bad!
  • I worked for Terminal 4 for a bit. If you've flown through that terminal, you might've seen the people wearing brown vests or suit jackets; I was one of them. I was different, though. I had to wear a black vest because I'm a big goddamn monster.

Anyway, I think that the TSA is kinda crap, even though they're necessary these days. Those lines are hell! I swear they make the regular lines hell so that everyone will just sign up for precheck.

There are people who legitimately have never flown in their lives, but then there are people who have flown a few times, and for whatever reason, their brains have flown out the window. "Vacation brain" is what I call it. There is no way that so many people can actually be that stupid.

Also, be goddamn on time for your flight, people. You paid money for this!
  • There are people who legitimately have never flown in their lives, but then there are people who have flown a few times, and for whatever reason, their brains have flown out the window. "Vacation brain" is what I call it. There is no way that so many people can actually be that stupid.

We used to call it Airport Brain. The ones whose brains are the only thing that have taken a leave of absence are the good ones, I'll take them over the ones who have also left behind little things like empathy, dignity, or any form of sanity.
  • I'll be travelling from SDF to BWI for MAGFest. Tiny cramped planes and long layovers, ho!
  • A very good piece on why the recent hullabaloo about the TSA failing its tests isn't the entire problem.