This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Convention questions I couldn't find a thread for

I didn't dare start "Connecticon 2014" myself. :-D

How does the tabletop gaming area/room at Connecticon work, in general? Specifically my question is, if I have a prototype boardgame to test (more likely in 2015 than 2014, but I'm just curious), can I just grab an empty table and set up my spread? Is it more formal? Can/should I get my playtest in the program book?

Comments

• muppet said:

I didn't dare start "Connecticon 2014" myself. :-D

How does the tabletop gaming area/room at Connecticon work, in general? Specifically my question is, if I have a prototype boardgame to test (more likely in 2015 than 2014, but I'm just curious), can I just grab an empty table and set up my spread? Is it more formal? Can/should I get my playtest in the program book?

Why don't you e-mail the Connecticon gaming department and ask?
  • edited April 2014
    ...because the barrier to entry on a forum post is WAAAAY lower?

When I had a question about paneling, I asked here and got some great responses from experienced panelists instead of just a recitation of policy or rules. Seems like asking the community is a good idea in general, to me.
    Post edited by muppet on
  • edited April 2014
    Case in point: Connecticon Website

The "Events" page for boardgaming/tabletop gaming has no contact email. Fair enough, it's an event schedule, not a contact page. Is there a page for the Gaming Department in general (like say, the Artist Colony page?) Can't seem to find one after 5 minutes of browsing around the site. Maybe it's there, can't find it. Still looking.

The "Contact" page lists "Electronic Games, Miniature Games, Role Playing Games, and Collectible Card Games". No general "Gaming/Tabletop Gaming" or more specific "Board Gaming". I could use "General Info", I guess, which applies (ostensibly) to the entire convention.

Not picking a fight, but trying to answer your question in earnest. Is there a reason this question is inflammatory..?

Anyway, will definitely email the "General" address and find out what's what. Just walking in and setting up might be construed as hosting an unsanctioned "event" and I'm definitely not looking to do that. I was just curious if people on the forum have done or been involved with playtests and had advice/ideas/cautionary tales/whatever.
    Post edited by muppet on
  • Honestly, the best way to get in contact with CTCon these days is their Facebook page.
  • Thanks, will do that!
  • Reference for all:
    cardgaming@connecticon.org
    consolegaming@connecticon.org
    electronicgaming@connecticon.org
    rpggaming@connecticon.org
    boardgaming@connecticon.org

You also get really good panel answers here because 1. A lot of people on the forums contribute panels to multiple conventions. 2. The heads of ConnectiCon panels are all on the forums.