This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Monday - Old Computers

Tonight on GeekNights, we talk about old computers (e.g., the Apple II GS, the Amiga, and the humble 486), why they're different from modern computers, and what they can be used for today. Primarily, we mean museum pieces, teaching tools, awesome hacks, and guaranteed non-compromised encryption key generators. In the news, TrueCrypt was shut down under extremely dubious circumstances, raising fears that that project received a National Security Letter or had other government woes and other heavy speculation. Also, Apple Day brought many minor Apple announcements, though SWIFT is what you should be paying attention to.

ConnectiCon is just around the corner in July, and it has a pretty amazing panel/workshop/lecture schedule. Join us there! Also join us in the GeekNights Forums!

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• Rym said:
    I never knew TrueCrypt had some weird license. Intriguing.
  • Jonathan Mann writes and records a song every day. Yesterday's was dedicated to Apple Day.

• This just in: Rym is a shill for the NSA, and will rapidly leave us to them in exchange for his hide.
  • You know, if you apply for a job/interview with the NSA, you're not allowed to mention it in social media/public/etc.
  • You know, if you apply for a job/interview with the NSA, you're not allowed to mention it in social media/public/etc.

HOW WOULD YOU KNOW THIS??!?!?! HMMM?!?!?!

As Rym said. If you get served security papers that require you to not tell anyone about them, is it ok to say "I am definitely not being investigated by the NSA right now! Guys, seriously. Not at all!"
  • Wait... NSA uses EULAs on their envelopes?
  • Apreche said:

You know, if you apply for a job/interview with the NSA, you're not allowed to mention it in social media/public/etc.

HOW WOULD YOU KNOW THIS??!?!?! HMMM?!?!?!
    I have not applied for a job nor interviewed for one at the NSA in the past three years.
    HMTKSteve said:

Wait... NSA uses EULAs on their envelopes?

Pretty much... and phone calls... and emails... and...
  • Speaking of hackable, open-specification computers, crowdsourcing for the Novena Open Laptop just ended.
  • I have the same modem nostalgia with the bulletin boards, playing Command and Conquer and having an epic game stop because a parent picked up the phone.

We also had a limited edition 33.6k X-Files modem which would play the first few seconds of the X-files music on start up which I thought was the best thing ever, when upgrading from the vanilla 28.8k modem.

Also learning how to computer to make games work was my path.

Wow that WWDC really did fit Victor's meme.
    Nothing original from Apple and my iOS developer friend is whining about the change in language.

SMS -> iChat or whatever people in Apple land use, already functional in Google Hangouts.
    Everything is - this is what Android has over us except a bigger screen so we'll release it as our own and break down the walled garden.

Its the same thing that happened when the iPhone was launched except all the phones OS ideas were copied from phones which weren't sold in the US (they were predominantly smartphones with styluses or non-capacitive touch screen phones from Nokia, Samsung, HTC and other smaller players.

You have to commend how much control Apple holds over the media and uneducated population.

A kid was telling me how his Macbook Air was better than any 'PC' because he could program from terminal and didn't need to download anything to start writing programs. I asked him to demonstrate this, he couldn't.
  • sK0pe said:

A kid was telling me how his Macbook Air was better than any 'PC' because he could program from terminal and didn't need to download anything to start writing programs. I asked him to demonstrate this, he couldn't.

This has been said to me before and my response was "So?". I mean, really, what's the big deal of that? Everyone has an IDE of choice and their own workflow, and everyone needs an internet connection, so I really just don't understand what to advantage of being able to program from terminal.
  • Rym, if you want people to look at those wireframes, send them to QA and tell them to use those for their test plans.
  • The first old computer I ever used was either a homemade 386 or 486 computer my dad built for a correspondence course on how to build computers. I pretty much only got to use it when my parents would load an educational game for me to play. They would not let me play around with the hardware or software. Granted, I was around four or five.
  • I remember when the 486 CPUs were first released and a friend of mine told me how we would never even be able to use the full power of the CPU.
  • I'm about to apply for a job is very likely for the NSA.
  • I'm about to apply for a job is very likely for the NSA.

And being in this forum lost you all your chances. Sorry bro.
  • If you for-real need to care about security, generate your crypto keys on old hardware and work from diskless PCs.