This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Why No One Will Game with You

Why No One Will Game with You
Presented by GeekNights at PAX East 2014 on Friday at 1:00pm in the Badger Theatre.

In gaming forums around the world, variations of the same thread forever grace the front page: "Looking for a Gaming Group." Games are ubiquitous, barriers to entry are ever-lower, and the Internet (never mind conventions like PAX) provide what should be a sea of gamers ready and willing to play games with us. So why all the trouble? Why, in 2013, is it still so hard to form a gaming group? Why won't anyone play Air Hockey with me?

In exploring the "LFG" space, there are a myriad of issues which come to light. Skill gaps leave players stranded. Matchmaking systems hurt as much as they help. The longer tail of games available spreads niche audiences further into increasingly specific sub-sub-sub-genres. Play styles differ. (Indeed, in some groups it is impolite to spend more than ten seconds on one's turn, while in others spending less than ten MINUTES is the height of rudeness)!

Let's explore why it's so hard (or why it SEEMS to hard) to find people to play games!

Source Link

Comments

• Awesome. Enjoyed this topic when you did it as a podcast and enjoyed it even more with the visual aids here. I've posted it to Reddit for you in the hopes of spreading the viewership. Curious to see what kind of response it'll get.
  • I realize this topic might have been too real for some people.

I saw, from the stage, two separate groups of people in the audience do something amazing. When we started talking about "that guy," these groups looked at eachother, and then all looked at one person sitting with/near them.

They had their "that guys" right there in the room. The "that guys" in both cases appeared to be unaware that they were the subject of discussion.
  • That sounds surreal.
  • That's so funny. Food on shoulder guy never notices food on his shoulder.
  • Rym said:

I realize this topic might have been too real for some people.

I saw, from the stage, two separate groups of people in the audience do something amazing. When we started talking about "that guy," these groups looked at eachother, and then all looked at one person sitting with/near them.

They had their "that guys" right there in the room. The "that guys" in both cases appeared to be unaware that they were the subject of discussion.

This is fabulous. Next time you do the talk, record that reaction from the front, and instant replay it. (;
  • "Is that Scott from "Netrunner with Scott?" I'm going entirely by the voice." Geeknights is less popular than netrunner videos.
  • Andrew said:

"Is that Scott from "Netrunner with Scott?" I'm going entirely by the voice." Geeknights is less popular than netrunner videos.

Scott is as popular as GeekNights PLUS Netrunner Videos.
  • Rym said:

yep I failed the Herman Hesse Jets Coach test again

Ah yes, the classic line from Siddhartha: “You pray to win the game."
  • Anecdotal story about 'that guy' who happens to be the DM and is a creepy asshole.

m.vice.com/read/notallroleplayers-a-history-of-rapey-dungeon-masters?utm_source=vicefbus
  • I've learned so much from RPGs. Not necessarily good things. Like my detect weird ability has been refined a thousand times. Also, I would avoid finding a group through Reddit.