This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Tuesday - The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

Tonight on GeekNights, we review The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds. It's all right, but it does lead us to discuss what the best Zelda games ever made truly were. (Apparently, it's Zelda 3, Zelda 1, Ocarina of Time, and Zelda 2, plus or minus Four Swords on the GC). In the news, the World Cup had a ridiculous late-tournament blowout, and the sad tale of the failed Mechwarrior Online tells us why pay-to-win is the worst idea in the world. Connecticon 2014 is THIS WEEKEND! We'll be there performing four shows!

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• A bit about the idea that "something is broken with the sport if there is a blowout of this proportion between two top level teams."

The fact is that soccer has developed so far as a defensive game, that it's normally almost impossible to score. What we saw with Germany vs Brazil is when a team is broken, not the sport is broken. Brazil built their team around a strong captain and a star striker, which isn't a bad formula at all, except when the captain is missing due to a yellow card in a previous game and the star striker has a broken spine.

While all the focus before the match was about who would lead Brazil's team from the front, the real problem with Brazil in this tournament has been at the back. Star strikers can make up for shoddy defense against lower rated teams, but not against Germany.

The first goal of the match set the tone, with Germany's star striker, Müller, standing by himself with zero cover. Bump, into the net. So easy.

Then the next five goals all shared a common theme: any of two to four players were available to take a shot on goal. There is nothing the goal keeper can do in that situation! When a cross comes in and TWO German players let it roll past, when either could have taken a shot, and they leave it for the third player, the goal keeper literally can't be in position to save it. With three of the goals, a player could have taken a shot, but the goal keeper was approaching. Normally it's best just to take the shot, as passing in the penalty zone is normally too tricky or risky. But the German players were free to pass to another striker, neatly bypassing any attempt by the keeper to stop anything.

Normally it's hard enough to get one player into position to score, but last night Germany consistently had three. That's unheard of in football of this level, and it's a 50-50 split between amazing teamwork on Germany's part and terrible teamwork on Brazil's.

The last goal was unique in that it was a classic drive. Some said it was the goal of the match, because it looked the most impressive. But the other goals really showcased what a very good team can do against an almost non-existent defense.

Brazil could have scored a few more times than they did, but Germany's keeper Neuer was playing like someone inspired. The only reason he let a goal in at the end because he and the German defenders were fucking about. He kept running so far out, just to intimidate the Brazil strikers, and was caught napping.
  • Holy shit.

We occasionally went to Mom's boss' house when we lived in Australia. Their kid would always play Wolfenstein 3D, which was my first experience with that, and some weird robot fighting game that looked super shit.

That game was One Must Fall 2097.

I completely forgot about that game.
  • edited July 2014
    MATATAT said:

Holy shit.

We occasionally went to Mom's boss' house when we lived in Australia. Their kid would always play Wolfenstein 3D, which was my first experience with that, and some weird robot fighting game that looked super shit.

That game was One Must Fall 2097.

I completely forgot about that game.

Best game.

This music. The pose of that robot.

Needs an "HD" remake so bad. If they Bionic Commando: Rearmed this, it would be off the hook.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited July 2014
    I think this is the episode where you guys talked about the NYC ferret ban the Giuliani is known for. Have you guys not heard the infamous radio call? Giuliani had a radio show in his early years as mayor, and this specific call was getting lots of airtime on WNYC again recently when the ferret ban was back in the news.

Edit: Hahahaha, stick around at the end of that video for hilarious Ron Paul song. This video was just the first result that popped up for me.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • Remembered my other comment for this episode: you guys mentioned Nintendo trying to put its latest gimmick (3D) to use in Zelda. I recommend seeking out Rusty's Baseball on the 3DS eShop, due to the 3D effects actually improving the gameplay. Having a baseball pitched towards the screen in 3D helps a great deal in the various challenges they throw at you: timing swings, catches, calling balls/strikes, etc.

Rusty's is a free download for the first few challenges, then they hit you up $4 at a time for each additional set of challenges (up to 50 at a time), but if you've done well in the previous challenges, it rewards you by dropping the price as low as $1.50-$2.00. It's a weird business model but I didn't mind it, and the games were fun.
  • So, I recently came back to ALBW and started playing the hard mode. Hard mode is stupid.

I wanted the game to be more challenging. So, hard mode makes enemies move faster and do 4x damage. This means if you're touched twice during the first two dungeons, you die. This is unfair.

I hated how easy the game was, and I'm pretty good at 2D Zelda, but hard mode is bullshit.
  • I actually think OoT is better than Zelda 1, but only just. Good dungeons and puzzles, right level of difficulty, and a world large enough to make you think it could actually be a kingdom - so a good combination of immersion and game.

Zelda 3 is indisputably the best. One of a handful of classic games that I legitimately enjoy for non-nostalgic reasons.
  • I may sound like mega-"Oh, you like THAT game"-internet-defined-hipster here, but honestly, I still think Link's Awakening is the best Zelda game. It has satisfying, unique gameplay, an impressive story, and is one of the few games that GENUINELY feels creepy to me.
  • The SNES one. That one. That was the best Zelda. Hands down.

Wind Waker was pretty amazing, too, although less. Wind Waker would have been better with the same open-worldness and less water. Like, no water. Or boats.
  • Bullshit. Boats make everything better.
  • I'm pretty sure the boat was there to facilitate the limited memory of the console (ie, lots of empty separation between loading zones), but I'm totally making that up out of thin air as I type this.
  • Default loading screen: UGH. Kill me now.

Loading screen with a boat: YAY! Sailing the high seas! If I keep going this way, I'm going to find land eventually.

See that? Boats make everything better.
  • LOL

All right you win on that point.

I'd still like to see a more open world Zelda happen. Grand Theft Auto: Zelda, but you know, without cursing and racial slurs.
  • I am skeptical every time Nintendo says Zelda is going to be more "open." It was promised with Skyward Sword and with Link Between Worlds. They are doubling down on this next one.
  • Hyrule Warriors will be the best Zelda game I'm sure of it.
  • Matt said:

I am skeptical every time Nintendo says Zelda is going to be more "open." It was promised with Skyward Sword and with Link Between Worlds. They are doubling down on this next one.

Well if by "open" they meant "obnoxiously big sky with fuck-all to do" then they were pretty accurate.
  • Wind Waker is one of those games where I just don't understand how people like it so much when I just hate it.

The saling was boring, the triforce pieces hunt was super boring filler and going slow as a special power is just stupid. Meanwhile all the good things in the game are same good things that every other Zelda game ever has done, they lack the bad parts of Wind Waker.
  • edited July 2014
    muppet said:

LOL

All right you win on that point.

I'd still like to see a more open world Zelda happen. Grand Theft Auto: Zelda, but you know, without cursing and racial slurs.

I've always wanted a Zelda game that made Hyrule feel like an actual kingdom. Like, give me several towns, each one with a couple of different dungeons and other assorted puzzles. Give me population and lots and lots of land to explore.

I want the goddamn Elder Scrolls version of the Zelda franchise.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Oh, and as for the Wind Waker boat discussion, I'm very shy on details, but from what I've heard, the Wii U HD remake of Wind Waker cut out a TON of the "sailing around aimlessly" filler. You can still sail around all fucking day if you want, but much less of it is required to actually beat the game. That Triforce hunt was practically cut.
  • I've always wanted a Zelda game that made Hyrule feel like an actual kingdom. Like, give me several towns, each one with a couple of different dungeons and other assorted puzzles. Give me population and lots and lots of land to explore.

Like Zelda 2? -ducks-

• edited July 2014
    Matt said:

Oh, and as for the Wind Waker boat discussion, I'm very shy on details, but from what I've heard, the Wii U HD remake of Wind Waker cut out a TON of the "sailing around aimlessly" filler. You can still sail around all fucking day if you want, but much less of it is required to actually beat the game. That Triforce hunt was practically cut.

There's a new item you can apparently get really early on that I didn't know about where you can sail at like twice the speed.

I found that out after I beat the game.

EDIT: Also I forgot it always puts the wind at your back.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2013/10/04/how-to-get-the-swift-sail-wind-waker-hd.aspx
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Rym said:

I've always wanted a Zelda game that made Hyrule feel like an actual kingdom. Like, give me several towns, each one with a couple of different dungeons and other assorted puzzles. Give me population and lots and lots of land to explore.

Like Zelda 2? -ducks-

I like Zelda 2. Although lots of that is based on nostalgia.

• Apsup said:

Rym said:

Like Zelda 2? -ducks-

I like Zelda 2. Although lots of that is based on nostalgia.

I played Zelda 2 for the first time only a couple years ago, and I ended up liking it more than I expected. It had a lot of good ideas. But then the final area was brutally difficult and I gave up. I would still play most of the other games in the series before it.

I totally agree that I want a Zelda game that feels like an Elder Scrolls game. It's always been hard to consider Hyrule an actual kingdom with a population of 50 or less (depending on the game).
  • I played Zelda 2 when I was 5 and am barely clinging to memories of what it was. I doubt I got very far at all.

Gonna have to go back and beat that shit.
  • Matt said:

I played Zelda 2 when I was 5 and am barely clinging to memories of what it was. I doubt I got very far at all.

Gonna have to go back and beat that shit.

I would say "good luck with that," but I actually know your skills are high. You can probably do it if you don't give up.
  • I hated Zelda 2 because of the format change.
  • I had an walkthrough for Zelda 2, as well as Castevania 2 and other nes games. That allowed me to focus on the gameplay and poking things with sword and trivialized the puzzles and where to go next parts of those games. And probably helped me to enjoy those games more than I otherwise would have.
  • Apsup said:

I had an walkthrough for Zelda 2, as well as Castevania 2 and other nes games. That allowed me to focus on the gameplay and poking things with sword and trivialized the puzzles and where to go next parts of those games. And probably helped me to enjoy those games more than I otherwise would have.

At least in Zelda 2 the people in town will tell you what you need to know. But if you're playing legitimately you'll be talking to a lot of townsfolk that turn into bats and attack you.
  • Apreche said:

Apsup said:

I had an walkthrough for Zelda 2, as well as Castevania 2 and other nes games. That allowed me to focus on the gameplay and poking things with sword and trivialized the puzzles and where to go next parts of those games. And probably helped me to enjoy those games more than I otherwise would have.

At least in Zelda 2 the people in town will tell you what you need to know. But if you're playing legitimately you'll be talking to a lot of townsfolk that turn into bats and attack you.
    I played it when I was a kid. How well you think I understood English? Although the manual had a short dictionary for relevant words, it still was not a trivial task to talk to townsfolk and go from there.

• Apsup said:

Apreche said:

Apsup said:

I played it when I was a kid. How well you think I understood English? Although the manual had a short dictionary for relevant words, it still was not a trivial task to talk to townsfolk and go from there.

Oh yeah. Well, I'm sure you understood it better than I understand Japanese games.