This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

How Should I Title My Panel?

I'm not doing a panel anytime soon since I will attend university in a couple of weeks, but I want to do a panel at an anime con after I finish post-secondary ed. about the value of understanding philosophy and literature, or just broadening one's own experiences in general, to create better, richer, and/or deeper stories. Here are my ideas for the title: "How to Rise Above Generic to the Power of Bland", "Beyond Naruto" (sorry Rym; I watched ALL of your panels and lectures, including the lecture about making lectures, so I decided to use your idea about the word "beyond" :D), and "From Otaku to Philosotaku". If anybody has suggestions for the title, I'd be happy to hear!

Comments

• You are trying to be too clever. The title needs to be short and say exactly what your panel is actually about.

"Anime and Philosophy"

The thing is, your panel idea is really played out. I think there has been at least one anime X philosophy panels at just about every anime convention I have ever been to. You're going to have to compete, or join forces, with the people who already cover that material.
  • Apreche said:

You are trying to be too clever. The title needs to be short and say exactly what your panel is actually about.

"Anime and Philosophy"

The thing is, your panel idea is really played out. I think there has been at least one anime X philosophy panels at just about every anime convention I have ever been to. You're going to have to compete, or join forces, with the people who already cover that material.

I'm not talking about the philosophy of a particular anime. I'm talking about how and why philosophy can be used in anime to create better stories.
  • Hethalos said:

Apreche said:

You are trying to be too clever. The title needs to be short and say exactly what your panel is actually about.

"Anime and Philosophy"

I'm not talking about the philosophy of a particular anime. I'm talking about how and why philosophy can be used in anime to create better stories.
    "Improving Anime with Philosophy"
  • Apreche said:

"Improving Anime with Philosophy"

Thanks a great deal! I like it!

• "anime + philosophy = better anime"
  • Just make sure whatever you pick fits in the smallest title block on the schedule. That's all the people read. Example, "How to Rise Above Generic to the Power of Bland" is gonna be too long.
  • How about "Your Anime Is Boring". Controversial titles always draw crowds.
  • Just make sure whatever you pick fits in the smallest title block on the schedule. That's all the people read. Example, "How to Rise Above Generic to the Power of Bland" is gonna be too long.

Good point. I still like the quote "generic to the power of bland". Maybe I'll use that during the lecture.

• Neito said:

How about "Your Anime Is Boring". Controversial titles always draw crowds.

That could work, although I'm not sure how that would communicate my core message, which is how philosophy can be used to improve anime.
  • I was trying think of a pun involving nietzsche and niche but I can't think of one.
  • "Why Your Anime is Boring"
    If someone reads the description, it explains that the reason your anime is boring is because it lacks philosophical ideas.
    Most people show up to panels based on the title and how bored they are. That's why if I ever run a panel, I'm 100% calling it "Why Your Video Game Ideas Suck."
  • I'm a big fan of the [catchy thing]: [actual title] formula. See, The Family That Geeks Together Keeps Together: How to Talk to Your Parents About Anime (which got cut in the program, but we kept the longform title), "Every Pirate Loves His Mom: An Analysis of Motherhood in Anime" (which I might be screwing up the subtitle on, b/c around the house we just called it "Every Pirate Loves His Mom"), and the upcoming Sex, Death, and Populism: The Life and Times of Andrew Jackson.
  • If there's a long title with a : like that, the long form will usually appear in Guidebook, but not on the doors or printed schedules. So it usually works pretty well.
  • I still want "That's not a game; you're not a gamer".
  • How Philosophy Improves Anime. Even (insert bad popular anime title that may have some philosophy) Has Some!
  • Pandering to a rabid fanbase in the title does wonders for bringing in attendees. "My Little Pony: Sound is Magic" and "Monster Girl Quest: The Lecture" fill the room every time. "Sound is Magic" fills about half-way.
  • TransOtakuism and Marxism is Moé
  • *TransOtakuism and Marxism is Uguuu

Okay...I think I'll just stick with what Scott had suggested, "Improving Anime with Philosophy".