This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Game Helplines?

edited October 2006 in Everything Else
It may be that I only just noticed or it may be that Ubisoft only just implemented this sham; video game helplines.
I recently (about 30 seconds ago) saw an add on Ubisoft's Might and Magic website that looked 100% like this...

Has anyone ever called one of these things? I can't see why you would want to, unless you want to waste a whole lot of money for information you could get for free. Within days of the release dates of most major titles walkthroughs, tips, hints, cheats make the characters naked mods are all over the internet. Who in their right mind would need this?

Comments

• I've never called one but I can imagine what it would be like, remember that Simpsons where Homer rings the betting hotline?
  • This is not new. Nintendo has had a help line since the NES days. And yes, you are stupid if you call it. I really don't understand the point of cheats, strategy guides, etc. If you're essentially letting someone else play the game for you, what's the point of playing at all? I can understand maybe using a few cheats and such after you have already beaten a game to get an extra bit of fun, but using it on the first go?

Of course, today's games have lots of arbitrary and completely hidden secrets that are essentially impossible to find without a strategy guide. This is terrible game design, and I think they do it on purpose just to sell strategy guides. When you consnider how easy today's gamers are compared to games ofold, there's really no excuse.
  • Of course, today's games have lots of arbitrary and completely hidden secrets that are essentially impossible to find without a strategy guide. This is terrible game design, and I think they do it on purpose just to sell strategy guides. When you consider how easy today's gamers are compared to games of old, there's really no excuse.
    Just helping out Mr Period, nothing else to contribute.
  • Help! So i just installed Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow about 2 days ago. I went to play it tonight and when i chose single player and went to create a profile it just says "profile creation failed". I tried to completely shut down the game and reload/restart it but it didn't work. I looked online but i didn't find anything helpful. :(
  • You know, sis, I'm right on the other side of the wall...
  • I remember back in the Sierra adventure days there was a 900 number you could dial to find out what to do next. The internet kinda kills that. Back in the day, you could usually find a walkthrough on a BBS, but you had to be capable of accessing and finding information on a BBS :)
  • I have no idea how the strategy guide industry is still alive. Even on dialup I could access Gamefaqs, and on broadband I can go on youtube to find video walkthroughs if I'm that badly stuck or words don't describe what I need to do well.