This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Thursday - Book Club: A Canticle for Leibowitz

Tonight on the GeekNights Book Club, we discuss A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller. It was definitely worth reading as an example of one of the first modern post-apocalyptic stories. It reads like an author exploring an idea (the idea being nuclear holocaust and the nature of man and technology), and presents ambivalent, sometimes contrary themes. In the news, New York failed at time capsule, we consider stealing the Westinghouse Time Capsules, you should check out the Hatsune Miku Expo, as well as this SECRET BURGER CRAWL, and Ghibli's The Tale of Princess Kaguya (assuming you're in New York).

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• They said it couldn't be done...
  • You did it! I'm so proud!

• Desert? Check.
    Isolated pockets of civilization? Check.
    Cyclical history? Check.
    Information-as-a-weapon? Check check check.
  • I'll talk about Crimea with you.
  • AaronC said:

I'll talk about Crimea with you.

Oh man, we might for-serious have to do a Crimea roundtable show.

• edited October 2014
    I've been there twice in the last 3 months, both times through Kiev to Kharkov. My significant other is from Lughansk and living in Kharkov as a refuge with her distant family. Headed back in late December. Unless the rebel forces expand well into Kharkov, which I doubt.

It's not a good situation.
    Post edited by AaronC on
  • http://ukraineatwar.blogspot.com/

It's a biased sight in that it's very pro Ukranian, but it does give interesting info and video analysis.

The whole conflict is very complicated and in no way is it black or white.