This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Introducing Advance Wars: Dual Strike or Days of Ruin?

I was trying to find the old Advance Wars thread, but I might as well go ahead and start a new thread. I will be introducing Advance Wars to a friend of mine, who likes Macro-level RTS games but not most Turn Based Strategy games. He's willing to try the Advance Wars series, and I will eventually get him to play both Dual Strike and Days of Ruin, but I'm quite torn on which one I should introduce him to first.

- I love Dual Strike's ridiculous CO's, aesthetic, and lighthearted nature. However, it's a bit more spammy and not as overall balanced as DoR, and it might spoil the debuffed nature of the CO Powers in DoR once he gets to it.
- I love Days of Ruins' unit balance/distribution (which is generally superior in this game), soundtrack, and story mode. However, it's not quite as over-the-top as DS (he likes over-the-top gameplay), and it might be off-putting to switch from the more limited CO Zone/Power to the wilder system that DS uses.

Do you guys have any suggestions for this particular case?

Comments

• edited October 2014
    Why do you ask this question when Advance Wars expert Rym is on the other side of the world?

Personally, I like Dual Strike better, but that's just me. And I'm not very good at it.

Also, did anyone else notice the Advance Wars inclusion as an item in Smash Bros? This means they haven't forgotten. Can we expect Andy as a playable character in the next Smash 5 years from now? Can we expect Advance Wars for (New)3DS?
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Well, Intelligent Systems will be releasing that new Turn-Based/Real-Time hybrid game, which looks interesting. I think it's called "Codename: STEAM".

Unfortunately, I think the Advance Wars item was in Brawl too, and those dreams haven't come to fruition just yet.
  • Just investigated Codename: STEAM. Seems more like X-COM than Advance Wars.
  • I thought you guys had mentioned Codename STEAM on the podcast, maybe that was just Rym though.
  • That may have been Rym, but I honestly don't think Codename STEAM is going to scratch that AW itch. I've been playing Days of Ruin again, recently, and I didn't realize just how long it took for the game to even let you use CO Powers in the campaign!
  • I should stream some Advance Wars...
  • Rym said:

I should stream some Advance Wars...

It would be better if you made an edited series.
  • Well, I figure the best way to do that is to stream/record myself playing and commentating on an entire game start to end.

Along the way, I edit the good bits together into episodes on Youtube.
  • I'd watch that. Also, would you recommend Days of Ruin or Dual Strike as an introduction point into the series, Rym?
  • Mmmm....

They're completely different games. Do you care more about a big military/industrial simulation, or about a complex puzzle?

DS is big puzzles. DR is big war.

DS maps can be won by hugely complex combos ending in a chess-like mate (e.g., Sami's super CO power capturing a base). DR maps are won by economy and combined arms. Both are excellent.
  • Rym said:

Well, I figure the best way to do that is to stream/record myself playing and commentating on an entire game start to end.

Along the way, I edit the good bits together into episodes on Youtube.

That sounds quite a lot like what the kids these days call an let's play.

• If he likes the sunny "Hey great day to start a war!" type RTS then he'll like Dual Strike. If he likes gritty realism then he'll like Days of Ruin.
  • I streamed some Advance Wars.

Specifically, Days of Ruin. I did a map - Lost River - against the AI as either side.

• Do you recommend any particular DS emulator?
  • Starfox said:

Do you recommend any particular DS emulator?

They're all awful. Just play the game on a DS.

• Tiny maps this time. I play both sides against the AI. On the second map, I I then play against myself.

• edited January 2015
    On the first turn as Blue, why not build a bike instead of a recon and offer a trade of cities to Orange?
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • On the first turn as Blue, why not build a bike instead of a recon and offer a trade of cities to Orange?

I've gone down that road. It ends in the same place.

• Going to stream again tonight at 6:30pm EST. Fog of War baby.

• This will be a big stream at 6:00pm EST today. A full scored map. Going to get an S rank.