This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Wednesday - Bee and Puppycat

Tonight on GeekNights, we review the new episodes of Bee and Puppycat on Cartoon Hangover. It's a delightful show, and there's every reason to watch it. Rym also brings us some thoughts on the cartoons he's been watching lately (The Amazing World of Gumball, Steven Universe, Sailor Moon (again), Sailor Moon Crystal, and My Little Pony: Rainbow Rocks (don't watch that one). In Japan, the top two anime on TV are still Sazae-san and Doraemon.

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• The most Internet thing on the Internet I talked about on the show:

Tuvan Overtone Singing:

• edited November 2014
    Your video has graced a corner of the web those who enter will never leave the same again
    Post edited by Coldguy on
  • Dear lord... or higher entity...

They'll chill out eventually and remove the video from youtube, probably.
  • When I think I know a lot about the world, that video makes me realize that there is so much that I know not of.
  • Rochelle said:

When I think I know a lot about the world, that video makes me realize that there is so much that I know not of.

Being omniscient is as much a curse as a blessing.
  • edited November 2014
    I watched it... and I just started laughing. And I couldn't stop for A WHILE. It was a deep laughter. A laughter born from part insanity (I'm assuming. You really had to have heard laugh...), part joy from the fact that THERE WILL BE MIRRORS OF THAT VIDEO AND HE WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO RID HIMSELF OF IT EVER.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I watched it... and I just started laughing. And I couldn't stop for A WHILE. It was a deep laughter. A laughter born from part insanity (I'm assuming. You really had to have heard laugh...), part joy from the fact that THERE WILL BE MIRRORS OF THAT VIDEO AND HE WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO RID HIMSELF OF IT EVER.

I hope against hope, pray against prayer and the heavens themselves, that one day that boy becomes a man, and that man runs for president of the United States.

• Therians...

• Rym said:

I watched it... and I just started laughing. And I couldn't stop for A WHILE. It was a deep laughter. A laughter born from part insanity (I'm assuming. You really had to have heard laugh...), part joy from the fact that THERE WILL BE MIRRORS OF THAT VIDEO AND HE WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO RID HIMSELF OF IT EVER.

I hope against hope, pray against prayer and the heavens themselves, that one day that boy becomes a man, and that man runs for president of the United States.
    Oh man yeah.

I'm a little surprised though. You've only done a maximum of three panels at any one convention? I average four and I get bored.
  • Rym said:

The most Internet thing on the Internet I talked about on the show:

I feel like these are related.
  • edited November 2014
    "R is filler for S"

You're on your own should misfortune find you.
    Post edited by Conan-San on
  • edited November 2014
    Fizzology tells me I have to be human.\

EDIT: Oh god, the suggested videos that pop up afterwards. Wish me luck, I'm going in.
    Post edited by Ikatono on
  • Steven universe has some light parallels with Utena.

http://queenlionsnake.tumblr.com/post/82248706657/everyone-else-is-like-sanic-was-in-steven

Also in the 'Lion 2 The Movie' episode he pulls a sword out of the lion in a way that reminds me a lot of Utena.
  • Dumb question, is there an ello page for geeknights? Lou gave me an invite to it and was wondering if there is someone else there I can follow.
  • lol. I have an ello account. I haven't logged into it even once since the first day I set it up...
  • Rym said:

lol. I have an ello account. I haven't logged into it even once since the first day I set it up...

What is ello? If it has pages, let's make one just to continue the trend of being on all the things even if nobody ever goes there.
  • I don't think ello has an API we can use to auto-submit. I already have to manually send our shit to LinkedIn and G+...
  • Rym said:

lol. I have an ello account. I haven't logged into it even once since the first day I set it up...

This. Keeping up with all the new social media things is bothersome. In the end, I keep coming back to Twitter. My only grip with Twitter on iOS are promoted tweets. I know you might be able to filter that shit with Tweetdeck, but have yet to purchase the latest version of that app.
  • Rochelle said:

My only gripe with Twitter on iOS are promoted tweets. I know you might be able to filter that shit with Tweetdeck, but have yet to purchase the latest version of that app.

I really like Tweetbot for iPhone. You could get the iPad version too, but there's probably going to be a paid upgrade soonish.
  • Apreche said:

What is ello?

https://ello.co/ - it's essentially Facebook for artist-types and anti-corporate hipsters, and the startup has basically said "we're not having any ads, ever". How the hell they expect to stay in business is beyond me. My brother hooked me up with an account last week, and so far I haven't seen anything worth a crap out of it. They don't have pages, per se, but there wouldn't be anything stopping you from creating a GeekNights account.
  • One of my favorite songs from Steven Universe:
  • I can see the appeal of some shows to people outside their targeted demographic. The couple episodes of Stephen Universe I watched with my nephews I did not understand any appeal. It seemed like a show even if I was younger I would not like at all.
  • I freaking love Steven Universe, so, I dunno.

Bee and Puppycat is great too. I enjoy it. I'm waiting for more to be available but it's off to a good start
  • edited November 2014
    That song was really amazing though. Enjoyed it immensely! I had never encounted throat singing before, and the eclectic mix was very fresh sound for me.

Also, I would respectfully disagree with Rym's assertion on Rainbow Rocks. You said so yourself, that they did not expect to make another one, and given the chance to do so, they have improved the franchise strongly.

One of the strongest point of the movie for one, is Sunset Shimmer as a former villain, trying to make amends, and struggling against the expectations that people have of her. It was what a study of princess luna would be had they had the time to do the concept justice, and presents to the audience a realistic portrayal of a reformed villain trying to make amends. No one episode flutershy intervention, and no one minute rainbow of friendship: the consequences of sunset's actions, and her ultimate escape from those expectations, stole the whole show. It's the reason why in the overall community, sunset shimmer has become quite a popular character, just from this one movie, a character people saw as a throwaway and a waste of an idea, is actually contending in favourite pony lists now.

And yeah there sure are a lot of flaws still, but I hope that you don't dismiss it just from your previous impression. I disliked the first one, and was shocked how much I enjoyed rainbow rocks. Twilight may be shown as the main protagonist, but Sunset is the one the show focuses on thematically the most. In the end, this movie feels less like a blatant franchise cash in like the first one, but more like an actual episode from the main series. Not an amazing episode, but for what it is, still shockingly good.

Here is a scene that you probably did not see in the media hype pieces: it is heartfelt, and very well done:
    Post edited by lifecircle on
  • As a counter-part, Rym is right. Rainbow Rocks is terrible. It's the same thing as the first movie, but find + replace "prom queen" with "talent show." It's boring and dull filled with typical band cliches and very lame villains. Everyone is going "Oh, Sunset Shimmer got so much development!" All she really did was sigh and look dejected because people (reasonably) were resentful for nearly taking over the school. There wasn't any growth there, just "Hey, we need to make you important to sell another toy!" All the film is good at is fanservice. (And that's kind of true when the most positive things bronies talk about were Sonata Dusk and Maud's cameo)

Biggest crime? Music is terrible. Generic as could possibly be. Yeah, MLP sings about happiness and friendship and music, but they put work into the composition and harmonies of all the songs. It was all artificial, samey-sounding Power Pop. And with every cartoon working in songs these days? You have to step on your game. On the subject of Steven Universe...

Better than all the EQG songs. Period.

I'm enjoying Bee and Puppycat. It was a little jarring to see how they changed some of the setting from the pilot, but it's still charming. The only thing I felt was that the show starts off dissecting and discussing how flawed Bee is. The show just started, we should see how she is a bit before this is brought up. (Maybe it keeps some continuity from the pilot, but who knows)
  • edited November 2014
    In response to the counter response, I'm going to cop out and point Rym to Paul Chapman's greatest movie ever podcast RR episode and suggest he give it a listen, maybe to form an opinion on RR, or perhaps as a substitute, its good listen either way: http://gmepodcast.com/2014/11/09/now-with-100-less-pony/

Oh on the subject of the actual geeknights show....

I had not heard of Bee and Puppycat and did give both episodes a go. Visually, I love it, but the characters, especially the two mains really did not do much for me. Is it because of adventure time? Possibly, but I recognize I am not easily captivated by "goofiness for goofiness" sake, which Bee and Puppycat did give me the impression of.

I feel that in my head, such narrative structure that are designed to subtly quirk and present some form of whimsy; like a fairytale maybe (and the visual language did seem to promote this); have to always be in competition with the likes of Space Dandy (just more creative and playful in general in both visual language and narrative structures), and Massaki Yuuasa stuff like Kaiba and Mindgame (quirky, but in Kaiba's case, really possessing emotional heft and mental impact)

I have not yet seen the actual redone, for real episode, so my opinion may change of course

Will give steven universe a go now that I have some time to spare..been hard to find episodes online though
    Post edited by lifecircle on
  • edited November 2014
    I hadn't heard about Steven Universe before this episode. One week later I've now watched all the episodes. It really is a show that grabs you and insists you watch "Just one more episode". Then you realize you've watched 8 episodes in a row.
    Post edited by edifolco25 on
  • How did you people not hear of these things? Do you not live on the Internet?
  • For pretty much all anime, cartoon and comic recommendations, if it's not mentioned on your show, I don't hear about it.
  • RymRym
    edited November 2014
    This is the best song in Rainbow Rocks. It's barely above the line.

The rest are such textbook teen girl pop compositions that it's like someone was following a recipe. No contrasts, bland mix, insipid lyrics: the songs are entirely unremarkable and easily forgettable.

Rainbow Rocks isn't bad, it's just childish. It's aimed squarely at children and, unlike Friendship is Magic, actually hit that demographic. RR is very popular among its expected audience: young girls.

However, were it not loosely tied to the main My Little Pony franchise, it would have been entirely ignored by most of the older people who enjoyed it.

Post edited by Rym on