This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Child Soldiers in Sudan: The Videogame

Someone pitched a game at a con in DC: a horrific survival game where the protagonist is a seven year old refugee forced into prostitution to feed her infant brother (at least, that's one of the first major choices in the game: you can let the infant die instead).

A bunch of people in the audience walked out in disgust.

Turns out the pitcher was UNICEF, and the woman whose life story is told by that game idea was present. "...the woman who the character was based on, Mari Malek, was standing in the back of the room."

Comments

• Was there any indication given the pitcher was not just some freak, and actually trying to discuss serious issues? Because honestly, if you heard that out of the blue, what would you assume about the person talking about that?
  • I'm sure it would be terrible (as in hamfisted, not talking about gameplay) but it's an interesting idea.
  • If they pitched this as a movie or a play or TV series they would be all over this. Games seem to carry a damning stereotype with an immature audience. Thanks GamerGators.
  • Awesome. My dad just got Steam, but he's only willing to play games that make him miserable, because otherwise he'll get hooked. This can go into his library alongside This War of Mine and Papers, Please.
  • sK0pe said:

If they pitched this as a movie or a play or TV series they would be all over this. Games seem to carry a damning stereotype with an immature audience. Thanks GamerGators.

It's not any one section of the community's fault that people are uncomfortable confronting reality in games. Taking away the escapism inherent to an RPG will repulse the core audience. People are fine with passively feeling sympathy for characters in a movie, but very few want to actively suffer the evils of the world in their leisure time.
  • Ilmarinen said:

sK0pe said:

If they pitched this as a movie or a play or TV series they would be all over this. Games seem to carry a damning stereotype with an immature audience. Thanks GamerGators.

It's not any one section of the community's fault that people are uncomfortable confronting reality in games. Taking away the escapism inherent to an RPG will repulse the core audience. People are fine with passively feeling sympathy for characters in a movie, but very few want to actively suffer the evils of the world in their leisure time.
    However these types of games are the ones which I love the most, the ones which force you into a position which you would never be put in, in real life. This immersion also helps me understand people's positions of which I only have an uninformed understanding.
    I'm not sure how it takes away the escapism, you are in a position that you would otherwise never be in.

Also seriously there are a bunch of people screaming at their screens on how stupid other people are during their leisure time.
  • edited December 2014
    Ilmarinen said:

There is also the feeling that turning horrific life experiences into a game trivializes them. To some, it is as of one is playing a victim's life for kicks and then goes back to munching their chips and guac. It isn't a position I necessarily agree with, but it is a factor in people's replusion.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • edited December 2014
    Sharpe said that stunts like this are uncharacteristic of UNICEF
    What, like bombing Smurfs wasn't?
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • How many Smuf berries will this take! How many!

As with all things, if the game was done right it would be amazing and profoundly moving. In reality it would be Haddock black blops, miss the point and come across as kind of disturbing.
  • edited December 2014
    That announcement is hamfisted and I would expect no less from the game itself. I would have no qualms loudly proclaiming "fuck that shit," as I walked out myself.
    Post edited by Jack Draigo on
  • sK0pe said:

However these types of games are the ones which I love the most, the ones which force you into a position which you would never be put in, in real life. This immersion also helps me understand people's positions of which I only have an uninformed understanding.

Hmmm. How about a game wherein you play a female journalist that has to contend with various double standards and prejudices just to get anywhere in your chosen industry. Then, your ex-boyfriend spreads vicious and untrue rumors about you, which inspires a group of people to threaten your life and make your life a living hell. Then, once the initial clamor dies down, a group of consumers, who have many, many choices for news sources and games, try to prop up your violation as a cause to keep games catering to their particular demographic to the exclusion of any others. Your mere existence becomes polarizing to those you previously thought of as your community.

Would you play that game? Would it help you to understand or empathize?
  • edited December 2014

sK0pe said:

Hmmm. How about a game wherein you play a female journalist that has to contend with various double standards and prejudices just to get anywhere in your chosen industry. Then, your ex-boyfriend spreads vicious and untrue rumors about you, which inspires a group of people to threaten your life and make your life a living hell. Then, once the initial clamor dies down, a group of consumers, who have many, many choices for news sources and games, try to prop up your violation as a cause to keep games catering to their particular demographic to the exclusion of any others. Your mere existence becomes polarizing to those you previously thought of as your community.

Would you play that game? Would it help you to understand or empathize?
    Like all compelling media, if it is made appropriately I would be fine with consuming it. Making it a compelling game may be a challenge.

I'm not sure if you're implying that I don't already empathise with the GamerGator targets or not.
    Post edited by sK0pe on
  • Would you play that game? Would it help you to understand or empathize?

Well, you didn't actually say anything about the game play, so it's kinda hard to decide whether I would play it, understand it, or empathize with it. It's important to point out that -- just like any other kind of any other art -- games designed to bring out understanding and empathy for a certain position can be done well or poorly. When done properly they can be very powerful, but when done poorly can leave the player just miffed. The two games I usually point to for well done and poorly done are Papers, Please and Depression Quest respectively.

Lucas Pope did a masterful job of using his medium to invest the player's emotions into a set of goals (feed family, stop terrorist attacks, escape from Arstrotzka, etc), and then pit those goals against each other, or put them in conflict with human decency. I won't give any examples as to avoid spoilers, but needless at one point it brought me to tears.

Zoe Quinn, on the other hand, created a digital Choose Your Own Adventure book. She failed to manipulate her medium to invest the player's emotions in anything. She dictated how the player should feel, rather than simulating those feelings. Her failure to show instead of tell is evident even in just the first few actions the player takes.

So, no, I wouldn't play that game, because you haven't defined how it's a game. For purposes of analogy, if the game you were pitching was Skyrim, you would be saying "do you want to play a game where you kill dragons?" as opposed to "do you want a game where you can explore the world, create stuff, help or hurt people, etc. etc." One describes the narrative, the other describes the actual game.
  • edited December 2014
    sK0pe said:

I'm not sure if you're implying that I don't already empathise with the GamerGator targets or not.

Ah, upon re-reading my post, I see that I used "you" far too much. I didn't intend it as an attack, but it did come off that way. My apologies.

Also, any game can be compelling, if done well. Flimsier plots have made successful games. The plots are often secondary to game play anyway.
    Greg said:

Well, you didn't actually say anything about the game play, so it's kinda hard to decide whether I would play it, understand it, or empathize with it. It's important to point out that -- just like any other kind of any other art -- games designed to bring out understanding and empathy for a certain position can be done well or poorly.

Duh and/or ok.

Rhetorical - (of a question) asked in order to produce an effect or to make a statement rather than to elicit information.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on