This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Speedruns

AGDQ 2015 is going down right now. Just watch the Ninja Gaiden relay race. Two teams of three people just played all 3 NES Ninja Gaiden games back to back. One person per game. They finished Ninja Gaiden 3 within a second of each other. Other highlights were Tetris Grandmaster last night and TASBot IRC earlier in the week.

Watch live video from gamesdonequick on www.twitch.tv

Let's keep this thread for all speedrun related stuffs going forward.

Comments

• edited January 2015
    The most fun one I saw on stream was Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels.

The most disappointing was Batman: Arkham City.
    Post edited by sK0pe on
  • I never understood the point of these beyond the e-peen stroking.
  • I never understood the point of these beyond the e-peen stroking.

Seeing experts display their expertise?
    Learning about the deep details of various games' mechanics and code?
    The thrill of competition (races, time trials)?

No different than football or figure skating.
  • I don't care for football or figure skating either.
  • I don't care for football or figure skating either.

So, you don't care about seeing anyone do anything well?

Then why are you even in this thread?

• edited January 2015
    Rym said:

I don't care for football or figure skating either.

So, you don't care about seeing anyone do anything well?

Then why are you even in this thread?

Mostly to fill Scott's usual role of being a contrary misanthrope.
    Post edited by Jack Draigo on
  • So what the hell do you enjoy watching in life if you don't enjoy performance?
  • Rym said:

So what the hell do you enjoy watching in life if you don't enjoy performance?

I do enjoy performance. I like watching soccer, I watch many Let's Plays, and I've been known to enjoy an opera or two. I just don't get the point of someone trying to beat Dudebro in a half hour other than to say they did it.
  • I like watching people break shit on occasion. There was a Ocarina of Time speedrun last year (or maybe earlier this year) that was pretty fascinating. Also the things where they feed data into the machine through the controller ports is always neat to see.
  • Rym said:

I do enjoy performance. I like watching soccer, I watch many Let's Plays, and I've been known to enjoy an opera or two. I just don't get the point of someone trying to beat Dudebro in a half hour other than to say they did it.
    It's a performance, in the exact same way that soccer is.
  • Rym said:

Some commentated speedruns are basically Let's Plays, but the game is played fast and maybe broken a bit in the process.

Saying that you enjoy watching people play video games in one way, but don't see the point of watching people play video games other way, is kinda silly.

• Just, to me, it is the difference between the kid doing gymnastics because they find it fun, and the kid that does gymnastics to be a show-off A-type.
  • Just, to me, it is the difference between the kid doing gymnastics because they find it fun, and the kid that does gymnastics to be a show-off A-type.

How is that different in any way?

Let's plays, as how I understand them, are public things done to Internet. What about that is not showing off? The difference is, that you can do an let's play even if you have no skills to show off with.

• Rym said:

Just, to me, it is the difference between the kid doing gymnastics because they find it fun, and the kid that does gymnastics to be a show-off A-type.

How is that different in any way?

Intention? Kickback against the "look at me" attitude? I dunno, I just don't like them.
  • I feel like they're pretty humble.
  • So you prefer watching mediocre players rather than watching the best?

Rym said:

When you watch soccer do you watch the Football League but refuse to watch the Premier League?
    Or does it extend to watching kids in the park play soccer but refuse to watch professionals play?
  • sK0pe said:

So you prefer watching mediocre players rather than watching the best?

College football and the NFL are entertaining for often vastly different reasons. I'd say at least sometimes worse is better.
  • Starfox said:

sK0pe said:

So you prefer watching mediocre players rather than watching the best?

College football and the NFL are entertaining for often vastly different reasons. I'd say at least sometimes worse is better.
    They are entertaining for vastly different reasons but I don't see why you would exclude watching NFL if you watched College Football.
  • Sure, sure. I was just pointing out a valid use case.
  • sK0pe said:

The most fun one I saw on stream was Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels.

I really enjoyed this. I've played SMB 1 and 3, and there are loads of videos of runs of those, so I know them really well. The original 2 is something I've only tried once for about 10 minutes, and this is the first time I've seen it played through. I liked the group and audience aspect of it too, rather than a dry speed run.
  • Saw that lost levels run live. I've beaten the game myself on the GBC Mario Bros. deluxe cart. Obviously it took a very long time and was balls hard. Seeing someone speed run a game you suffered through has a bit more impact than seeing one you've never played.
  • One handed Vanquish? How random.
  • I still find that best speedruns were of Yoshi's Island. Last marathon they did a 100% run, this time it was a race. Pretty amazing with the glitches and techniques.

• I enjoyed the Megaman race too. The use of jumping on arrows to zoom across areas and changing form quickly in boss fights is commendable.

I agree with Scott, watching a speed run of a game you have played has a different impact. The more difficult games are often jaw dropping especially as I would have taken weeks of time to work through the game cartridge when I was a kid.

On the other hand the Batman Arkham City was being run only slightly faster than how I played it.

One handed Vanquish? How random.

I've never played this game but the one handed nature of the speed run is pretty awesome.

• All the runs from this year are already on YouTube

• I sometimes tune into speedrunslive.com like I used to watch TV.
  • That Tetris TGM exhibition is fucking insane. The invisible end credits on the third game... I have no words.
  • How they do the Super Mario World trick, in excruciating detail: