This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Capture card?

I am looking to buy a Capture card for live-streaming Wii U and Playstation 4 games. I am leaning towards the Elgato Game Capture HD60.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• I use the old Elgato and it works fine. I'm sure the new one is even better. The Elgato software works OK, but XSplit is better. XSplit is double better if you have an NVidia card and can use it for hardware encoding. If you have big money, but a livewedge.

http://livewedge.cerevo.com/
  • Well considering the PS4 will do live streaming for you I dunno if it's worth getting a peripheral. Wii U though you would need one. Elgato seems to be okay, but I've heard of some latency issues depending on what kind of configuration you want to use. If you are just doing game with external audio then I think it's just fine. But they don't seem to work too well when compositing external video.
  • MATATAT said:

Well considering the PS4 will do live streaming for you I dunno if it's worth getting a peripheral. Wii U though you would need one. Elgato seems to be okay, but I've heard of some latency issues depending on what kind of configuration you want to use. If you are just doing game with external audio then I think it's just fine. But they don't seem to work too well when compositing external video.

Yeah, if you just use the Elgato software you can't do any compositing or anything. You need to use a real computer plus XSplit (or the much more painful OBS) to help the Elegato out to do that sort of thing.
  • OBS is less painful recently. I've been using it heavily. If you have a beefy PC, it's really good.
  • Rym said:

OBS is less painful recently. I've been using it heavily. If you have a beefy PC, it's really good.

OBS does work very very well. The UI is just really painful. XSplit/Elgato/etc. are not great in that department either, but OBS is the worst I have used.

Also, for some reason the only software that has auto-ducking is Elgato. Such an essential feature.
  • Apreche said:

Also, for some reason the only software that has auto-ducking is Elgato. Such an essential feature.

For our big streams, we can use the mixer for that. I still have our compressor. ;^) We can use it for real pre-record autoducking.

• MATATAT said:

Well considering the PS4 will do live streaming for you I dunno if it's worth getting a peripheral.

Doesn't it have a time limit on streaming, though? I think that's why a peripheral would be essential.
  • Daikun said:

MATATAT said:

Well considering the PS4 will do live streaming for you I dunno if it's worth getting a peripheral.

Doesn't it have a time limit on streaming, though? I think that's why a peripheral would be essential.
    I messed around with streaming a few times on the PS4 and I played for a few hours each time. Never noticed any time limits.
  • MATATAT said:

I messed around with streaming a few times on the PS4 and I played for a few hours each time. Never noticed any time limits.

Okay...

How does streaming look on the PS4? Does it look like crap? Does it look fine or good? Can you do better than what the console offers? (I don't have a PS4, so I dunno...)
  • I haven't actually tried streaming on the Xbox yet. Maybe I'll give that a try this weekend. The only thing that isn't that great is the quality of the video from the Playstation Camera. I think to compensate for not being as powerful as a high end PC it lowers the bitrate of the camera so it kinda looks not great. It could also be the space I have. My living room in my apartment has terrible lighting for cameras so things often look really grainy. The other issue is the input audio. I think it was trying to capture from the camera and not the headset when I had the crap mic that comes with the PS4. This is probably solvable by using an actual mic or something, or perhaps a better headset. I didn't really experiment too much with it. But it was pretty quiet sounding.
  • edited February 2015
    I have done some recording and streaming with my Xbone. You can record up to 5 minutes locally and that looks really good.

even with my terrible, awful upload speed, a Twitch stream can look reasonable in brief moments. Anyone with something better than DSL will have much better luck.
    Post edited by Hitman Hart on