This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX Prime 2015

Comments

• I thought Future Grind was pretty neat, but I felt like the color scheme needed to be bolder. It was light enough where it was hard for me to see sometimes.
  • Yeah, Anthony asked about it because he was having the same problem. The guy at the booth said they are including color slider settings in the final release.
  • MATATAT said:

Favorite game I've seen at PAX this year.

Glad to see everyone else is digging this game. I went crazy for it at PAX South. Eagerly awaiting its release.
  • Apreche said:
    It is most definitely Camel Up. Yes, I understand that it sure as hell looks like clever graphic design of "Camel Cup," a name that also makes a ton of sense.

The twist is that it depends on where you live. The publisher in Finland came across the same problem. They thought it should be Camel Cup as well, so they asked the original German publisher, who responded that the name is not a direct translation of the German title, but was intended to be Camel Up. However, they were fine with Camel Cup as well, so they gave the Finnish company permission to publish it under that name.

So yeah, it's both. But you live in America, so it's Camel Up for you.

• edited September 2015
    https://boardgamegeek.com/article/15194111#15194111
    Eggert/Pegasus decided to name the game "Camel Up", but I like that it is called "Camel Cup" too. At the cover you can read it in both ways - sure, that is intended. Perhaps we should name it CAMEL (C)UP, so the confusion will be perfect!!!
    The name of my prototype was (T)OLLES KAMEL, a similar play on words in german...
    Hope you will enjoy the game however you call it

- Steffen Bogen (the designer of Camel Up)
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited September 2015

Add this to the argument.
    Post edited by Coldguy on
  • So, what's the deal with this Wizard game that everybody was raving about? I'm looking for it on boardgamegeek, but there are like 100 games called "Wizard".
  • So, what's the deal with this Wizard game that everybody was raving about? I'm looking for it on boardgamegeek, but there are like 100 games called "Wizard".

This one.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1465/wizard
  • Wizard.

It's not like we reviewed it or anything.
  • You guys do a podcast? ;-)
  • edited September 2015
    The closest game to Wizard is Spades, except Wizard has some guaranteed-win and guaranteed-lose cards, you don't play on teams, and you're supposed to bid exactly right.

Anyways, I got second place in my first-ever game of Wizard and I beat Scott at the Tumbling Dice, so I'll take this PAX.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • Oh Hell is closer to Wizard than Spades is. ;^)
  • Yes, but I don't know Oh Hell. :P
  • edited September 2015
    I love it when everything perfectly fits.

That being said, holy hell some of these boxes have wasted space. Time to buy some more organizers.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • Don't buy anything.
  • edited September 2015
    I have 60 those same IKEA cubes taking up an entire wall of my office. They are mostly filled with games, spare 7 or 8 that have other things in them (you can add drawers and doors, which is kinda neat). That is the maximum # of games I can justify owning. It is board game thunderdome. If something comes in, something has got to go. You are correct, though, in that condensing the space of what you already own does help skirt the rules a bit.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • But you really don't want to watch it.
  • This pairs surprisingly well with Dance of the Surgar Plum Fairy.
  • edited October 2015
    I was bored..
    Now, this is a story all about how
    My dice got flipped-turned upside down
    And I'd like to take a minute
    Just sit right there
    I'll tell you all about how I became the prince of Union Square

In West Coast America born and raised
    On the playmat was where I spent most of my days
    Chillin' out paxin' relaxin' all cool
    shootin' some videoball outside the school

When a couple of guys who were up to no good
    Started making trouble in my Mage's Guild
    I got in one little duel and my mom got scared
    She said 'You're movin with your auntie and uncle in Union Square'

I whistled for a cab and when it came near
    The license plate said fresh and it had dice in the mirror
    If anything I can say this cab is rare
    But I thought now forget it yo homes to Union Square

I pulled up to the convention center about 7 or 8
    And I yelled to an attendee 'Go home smelly hater'
    I looked at my kingdom
    I was finally there
    To sit on my throne as the Prince of Union Square.
    This is a first draft, suggestions are welcomed.
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • Now that we're fully in hoodie season, I can report that the PAX hoodie is pretty nice!
  • okeefe said:

Now that we're fully in hoodie season, I can report that the PAX hoodie is pretty nice!

Damn straight. I'm real glad I bought that one.
  • I'm getting hoodies at the other PAXes, and I already have enough hoodies.
  • I was disappointed to learn that you can't melt the ice blocks in Mario Maker with the fire flower, so yelling at the Omegathon dudes to burn up the ice bus was a wasted effort.
  • I was disappointed to learn that you can't melt the ice blocks in Mario Maker with the fire flower, so yelling at the Omegathon dudes to burn up the ice bus was a wasted effort.

What the fuck?!?!? Then why the hell did they put that door inside the ice???
  • Apreche said:

I was disappointed to learn that you can't melt the ice blocks in Mario Maker with the fire flower, so yelling at the Omegathon dudes to burn up the ice bus was a wasted effort.

Mario maker reminds me how ni tendo will change core features of Mario games to make things weirder, for example you can NOT spin jump off of the saws in Super Mario World levels. This would make a bunch of lunar magic levels created not compatible.
  • Apreche said:

Aesthetics - it was a car.
  • You can blow up ice with bombs which I was told was unique to Mario Maker. Dunno if that's true but I'd never encountered anything like that in Mario games.
  • MATATAT said:

You can blow up ice with bombs which I was told was unique to Mario Maker. Dunno if that's true but I'd never encountered anything like that in Mario games.

Yea the bomb-omb is pretty boss in Mario Maker.