This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Ergo Proxy. It's pretty.... something.

edited March 2006 in Anime
Has anyone seen Ergo Proxy? It's a pretty new and VERY odd anime. I guess I'm just not used to this genre, that being the well animated, dramatic, non-jokey (whatsoever) kind. It is fairly interesting, but there was sooo little information/introduction in the first episode. This isn't a bad thing, it's just a tad annoying. You should check it out if you haven't seen it. For those of you who have seen it, what's up?

Comments

• Just wait for the episode on it.
  • We watched the first episode. I know we've been busy with all sorts of other anime or comic-related episodes lately, but I assure you all we've been watching just about everything that's out there at the moment. Very soon, we'll return to the format of "review/preview two shows every Wednesday."

As for Ergo Proxy, it has all the trappings of a show that's designed to appeal to a certain segment of anime watchers. 10 years ago, this is the kind of show I would have raved about. Now... Well, I'll have to see more before I can pass judgement.
  • Alright then. But I must ask, what is your source to all of these new shows? Like how do you know about the new ones and then download them? Do you just search for the torrents or is it an "New Anime" feed or something? =\
  • Typically, we hit animesuki and download anything that has an "episode 1" on the main page.
  • awesome, thanks for the lin-- er, name.
  • RymRym
    edited March 2006
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I've at last gotten around to watching a few episodes of this, and am intrigued. Ergo Proxy may not be 'A' material, but it definitely has the potential to be a strong 'B'.

Also, fun trivia I found that may or may not be related to the show: "Vincent's Law" is apparently an old(18th-19th century) slang term for the practice of cheating at cards, in which terminology "the vincent" is the person being cheated.
  • Hmm..

It has all the trappings of a show that would have seemed AWESOME to me when I was 17 and anime was still this perfect wonderland of entertainment that could do no wrong. The show has a lot of elements that seem gratuitous, as though it were pandering to certain demographics, but despite this there seems to be quite a bit of potential.

We want to do an episode on it, but we really need to see more before anything worthwhile can be said. I still don't have a feel for where Ergo Proxy is -going-.
  • I've watched a few episodes, and I'm enjoying it so far. It gives you just enough clues to try to figure out what's happening.
  • More importantly, it reveals enough to -just- thread you along and keep you watching. Every episode leaves me wanting to know what the next will bring. I'm committed to watching it to the end at this point...
  • edited March 2008
    I am finally watching this series now and am currently on the last disc of it. My friend recommended it to me, and I'm happy to have watched it. I am pretty selective when it comes to watching new anime because most aren't that great. I have some theories about the Proxies and their origination, and look forward to finding out where they came from. The episode with the gameshow and the Pino dream where some of my favorites ones. Also the opening and endings songs are very enjoyable, even though the ending song is an American song.

Scrym, did you guys finish this series? What are you thoughts on it? Are you stilling going to do a podcast on it?
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I liked the first half of the series, but it kind of fell apart for me towards the end -- but overall worth a rent.
  • I recall Dave and Joel doing an episode on it a while back, but if I remember correctly, they didn't talk about it that much.

Link here.
  • The facial animation is very odd. Very, very odd.
    I've seen the first 11 episodes. Someone tell me: is it worth finishing?
  • The facial animation is very odd. Very, very odd.
    I've seen the first 11 episodes. Someone tell me: is it worth finishing?
    If you're not too into it, I would say 'no'... not worth finishing.
  • edited March 2008
    [1152358774342.jpg]
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • I recall Dave and Joel doing an episode on it a while back, but if I remember correctly, they didn't talk about it that much.
    Linkhere.
    I forgot about that. I actually have listened to that episode. I am relistening to it right now. I have to say, that opening bit with the letter is pretty awesome. Probably one of my more favorite FK episodes.
  • Ergo Proxy gets very out there towards the end, very existentialist to say the least, but it also gets funny and the last episode or two makes it all worth it