This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

NEW Anime Season Thread!! a.k.a. Till The Industry DIES!!

Comments

• Not at all. That was dripping with sarcasm.
    I hope so.. ^^
    edited October 2008
    All right. Seen a bunch of the new anime season, let's think back and see what we thought about it after having seen the first episode.
    • Toradora - First thought, funny. Real funny part was the censored sink. And the main male grinning, looks awesome, want more of that. I enjoyed this ep.
    • Kannagi - I'm having a faint thought that this show will make fun, or at least try to make fun, of several genres as it goes along. I enjoyed it, and it taught me a new word, 'magnanimous'.
    • Toaru Majutsu no Index - Music is awesome. Road-destroying penny is awesome. Academic City, literally a city with nothing non-education related, seems awesome. Super-high tech + psychic powers + magic sounds awesome. Main male character is not annoying. I'm interested in more.
    • Kuroshitsuki - The kid's not a spoiled brat. The creepy parts are good. The parts that are supposed to be comedy are not funny. The threefour support characters are horrible, with the exception of the old guy. Don't know if I want to watch more. The ending animation is cute though, scrolling sceneries with chibi representations of the main 6 characters.
    • Shikabane Hime Aka - Hot regenerating-zombie girl with uzi's. Needs more shooting and less orphanage related blaaah. Fun fact is that her regeneration powers need to be started by hugging her cold, dead body.
    • Ga-Rei Zero - I laughed out loud at the 540+ degree spin that was made with the motorcycle when I watched the promotional video, and I laughed at it again when that scene happened in the first episode. I also think the writer of this story saw Half-Life: Full-life Consequences when writing this story because, OMG ZOMBIE GHOSTS! These all look the same, are invisible to the normal eye, set what they touch on fire and raise from the ground. And then, what the fuck?
    • Shigofumi OVA - Was just the next chronological episode. Was nice, connected to the bully episode. More of the same really.
    • Casshern Sins - Doh, completely forgot this one. Read Eryn's comment, the style is awesome.
    Now, where is my ancient Greek sex anime?
    Though that show is the only one the realistically displays short skirts in anime. :P
    And how that?
    Post edited by ... on
  • edited October 2008
    Gundam 00
    Gundam 00
    Gundam 00
    Gundam 00
    Gundam 00
    Gundam 00
    Gundam 00
    AHHHHHHH! I can't stand the cliff hanger any longer.
    I can tell you the end, everybody dies :P
    NOOOOO Curse you Tomino, your bad karma has stained me Gundam!
    November 12th, Sci-fi channel, be there or be square.
    Post edited by CHOIS CHOIS CHOIS on
  • Gundam 00 exceeded my expectations by far.
    I'm still highly dubious. The first two episodes did not lead me to believe that it would be a good show.
  • I watched the first few eps of the first season, but I just couldn't get into it.
    edited October 2008
    More first impressions:
    • Kurogane no Linebarrels - This is bad. Story is about a wimpy dude called Koichi who keeps saying "I'm the hero!" yet has to be rescued by his 2 friends all the time. A mecha called Linebarrel hits earth, just where Koichi was. Miraculously there's not a scratch on him, but his clothing is bloody like hell. Koichi finds a completely naked girl in the same 'crater' with an half-episode case of amnesia and takes her to his house. Evil mechas start attacking the city, special mecha cops try to fight back but fail miserably of course. Koichi and girl run away, meet up with one of Koichi's friends and go on. Mechas fight on, and a concrete wall is about to fall on our three main characters. Koichi throws himself and the girl to the ground while the cool male friend catches the wall on his back. Koichi has a fit of OMG stop protecting me! and punches through the concrete wall his friend is holding up. Girl suddenly remembers who she is and takes Koichis right hand and places it on her left boob, this to summon the mecha Linebarrel. It took me a second to realize what she had done, but then I burst out in laughter. Koichi and girl pilot Linebarrel, he proves he's completely insane and the episode ends with the girl saying "You're already dead." FUCK YOU KUROGANE NO LINEBARRELS FOR DEFILING THAT SENTENCE! This show is horrible. Did I already say that I find the mecha designs to be horrible?
    • Kurozuka - Opening and Ending songs are horrible. OP song is crappy metal and ED is just stupid. The rest of the show is cool. A better start than Blade of the Immortal. Passion, love, immortality, blood, betrayal, lots of action. Yeah, it's awesome. Bloody fansubbers put their bloody credits in purple text on the eye-catch. What the hell.
    • Yozakura Quartet - Ah, more stuff to complain about fansubbers. The show is mediocre. Basically it's an action-harem with a human male who can send Youkai back to their world, who is surrounded by 3 (or 4) female youkai and one male youkai, the ogre who looks like a nerd. The subbers are horrible. They use a note to tell what the hell a character orders, without putting whatever she said in the subtitles. And they could've just dumped the note and put the explanation "Barbecued pork in noodle soup" (character said "Char siu mien") in the subtitles. But it gets worse. The same character later during the main fight says this: "If I hit the bullets at Mach 3 from the side, I can easily turn them away!", it gets worse. That sentence is accompanied by a translators note saying: "[Note: Mach 1 is equivalent to the speed of sound.]". And a second later when she attacks the evil guy she isn't able to move at Mach 3 to intercept him as he jumps over her! What I did like was some of the music and the eye-catches. A mediocre anime with horrible subs at a 4:3 screen resolution ratio.
    • Tytania - Space opera, it starts with an OPera song as intro and has a war in space with some tactics. I like.
    Post edited by ... on
  • Yozakura Quartet
    The fan sub I watched was also really awful..
  • edited October 2008
    More things I've watched this season!

Tales of the Abyss: Not bad for a generic J-RPG-style fantasy. I can at least say that it's better executed than a lot of other video-game-inspired anime I've seen. Sunrise tends to do good work, and they haven't stumbled so far with this one. Luke is kind of annoying, but I'm told by a friend that he becomes less of a bitch as the story goes on, so that's something to look forward to. I may end up watching more of this series for the character designs alone, which are all quite good. ...Also, Takehito "THE MAN" Koyasu as Jade Curtiss is <333. *cough* Er, I'm not a shallow bishounen fangirl anymore. What are you on about? >.>

Kyo no Go no Ni: Booooooring. Couldn't even finish the first episode. I was expecting something akin to Azumanga or Lucky Star, but it appears to have taken the tedium from those series with none of the charm or good humour. -.- Next.

Kurozuka: Madhouse is still able to pull off awesome feudal action and suspense. ;D I like the more realistic art style of this show, as well as the trippier-looking parts such as when Kuro is moving toward Kuromitsu's room. I'm also intrigued about what Kuro was running from, and how Kuromitsu came to be the way she is. Will definitely stick with this one for a bit to see where it's going.

Toradora!: Pretty cute. A lot of people are making a big fuss over this series, and it certainly is better than your average "some guy meets some girl" premise (as one ANN reviewer put it). Ryuuji is leaps and bounds above your average male high school lead in terms of personality (albeit, that isn't saying much), and his chemistry with Taiga so far is decent. I also find Ryuuji's crush, Minori, oddly cute despite her hyperactivity; maybe I just like her character design. Overall, though, I don't see what's so truly amazing about this show. I'll check out the second episode soon, as I've heard it's better than the first, but it remains to be seen if I'll hang onto this one.

Casshern Sins Episode 2: Robot dog + fatalistic robots = still a good show. Keep up the good work, Madhouse! ^_^ b

Still need to watch Tytania. Hoping to see the Greek sex anime soon too. *crosses fingers*
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • Gundam 00 exceeded my expectations by far.
    I'm still highly dubious. The first two episodes did not lead me to believe that it would be a good show.
    It's not hard to please me when my inner-12-year-old is squealing with joy. Take my opinion of Gundam 00 with a grain of salt.

• Also, first thought after watching Mouryou no Hako. Prettyyyyyy, just like with Kurozuka Madhouse does a wonderful job at pleasing the eyes.
  • Forget that elusive Greek sex anime, who's going to sub the new Hokuto no Ken Raoh Gaiden TV series?!
  • Wow, Funimation already licensed Shikabane Hime AND got it taken down from Tokyotosho. Never seen that happen before or so fast.
    edited October 2008
    Wow, Funimation already licensed Shikabane Hime AND got it taken down from Tokyotosho. Never seen that happen before or so fast.
    Which begs the question, why Shikabanehime Aka and not say Kurozaku. Which is much more awesome and looks pretty on top of that. Either way, after watching the second episode it was still meh, not enough shooting, and no use of the daggers that come out of the bottom of the magazines.

Also, gah, BSS dropped Golgo 13.
    Post edited by ... on
  • So who is releasing Mitchiko to Hatchin? Is it out yet? I know it's not on Anime Suki, but of course someone is fansubbing it.
  • So who is releasing Mitchiko to Hatchin? Is it out yet? I know it's not on Anime Suki, but of course someone is fansubbing it.
    Don't use Anime Suki. Tokyo Toshokan gets much more torrents. To answer your question.
    Don't use Anime Suki. Tokyo Toshokan gets much more torrents.To answer your question.
    But Animesuki is a much cleaner site, doesn't have all those non-fansub torrents cluttering it up, and also only hosts unlicensed shows.
  • But Animesuki is a much cleaner site,
    This is a matter of taste. I personally find AnimeSuki much more cluttered and crammed.
    doesn't have all those non-fansub torrents cluttering it up,
    You can tell Tokyo Toshokan to only show anime torrents, and even then it still has double the torrents that AnimeSuki has.
    and also only hosts unlicensed shows.
    This matters why? Most fansubbers remove licensed show torrents from their trackers and Tokyo Toshokan.
  • One's conscience is clean downloading fansubs from Animesuki because they don't host licensed shows.
  • One's conscience is clean downloading fansubs from Animesuki because they don't host licensed shows.
    Because fansubs are not illegal. I also think I don't care because I go "Damn you America, damn you for taking my fansubs away from me!" with every licensing-ethics-abiding fansub group even when half of said group is non-american.
  • Because fansubs are not illegal.
    Yes, yes they are.
  • edited October 2008
    I just watched the first episode of Kuroshitsuji, the "Black Butler." My opinion? I liked it.

The show appears to be an interesting mix of Japanese occult horror, Victorian gothic stylings, and chibi lulz thrown in to keep it light between the serious parts. It comes replete with bishounen eye candy on the part of the butler, and the promise of some very interesting plot secrets to uncover as the show progresses. Overall, I fancy it a bastard child of Demon Diary, Count Kain, and Kyo Kara Maoh.

Like The Faceless Entity, I'm a little up in the air about the household's support staff - the gardener, cook, and maid. Sometimes their off-the-wallness seems a bit much, but they're also meant to play off Sebastien's composed demeanor. I'd reccomend waiting til the second episode to pass judgement on them, as the first episode has a lot of promise otherwise and should be able to grab your attention. Hopefully those three will get put to good plot use.

Great moment: Dinner in the garden, and the butler has to act fast to fix the maid's screw-up. Priceless.
    Post edited by Johannes Uglyfred II on
  • Which begs the question, why Shikabanehime Aka and not say Kurozaku.
    I stopped asking this when True Tears was licensed before Baccano.

What is this Kurozaku you speak of?
  • I'm actually surprised they didn't license Michiko and Hatchin right when it was released, given Bebop's and Champloo's success.
    edited October 2008
    What is this Kurozaku you speak of?
    Blood, gore, trippy environments, lust, love, immortality, decapitation, cut off limbs, betrayal, nudity, zombie samurai, a punch that cuts samurai in half, what else... You'll have to wait till the third episode before I can add more to this list.
    I'm actually surprised they didn't license Michiko and Hatchin right when it was released, given Bebop's and Champloo's success.
    Licensing costs are probably huge.
    Because fansubs are not illegal.
    Yes, yes they are.
    God, Scott, you're horrible.
    Post edited by ... on
  • What is this Kurozaku you speak of?
    Blood, gore, trippy environments, lust, love, immortality, decapitation, cut off limbs, betrayal, nudity, zombie samurai, a punch that cuts samurai in half, what else... You'll have to wait till the third episode before I can add more to this list.
    *added to downloads

Will also check out Michiko and Hatchin, and I'm making the switch to Tokyotosho as my primary anime source. Farewell animesuki...
  • God, Scott, you're horrible.
    What's that supposed to mean? Fansubs are technically illegal, even the unlicensed ones. There's no arguing that.
  • God, Scott, you're horrible.
    I agree with Scott. You're not making sense with this.
    edited October 2008
    God, Scott, you're horrible.
    What's that supposed to mean? Fansubs are technically illegal, even the unlicensed ones. There's no arguing that.
    You failed at trolling. I reacted to speckospock's 'clean conscience' comment. Pointing out that even when you download fansubs for unlicensed shows you're still a pirate, your conscience is not clean. There's no difference between downloading fansubs for a licensed or unlicensed show. The former is just slightly harder because some fansub groups take down their torrents the moment a show gets licensed. But fear not! Pirates across the globe will create their own batch torrents, and put these up on Tokyo Toshokan, so that you can download them and finish watching the show without having to wait till the licenser finally releases the final.
    Post edited by ... on
  • edited October 2008
    There's no difference between download fansubs for a licensed or unlicensed show.
    I completely disagree. There's a moral scale here, and the critical factor in evaluating the position of a fansub on that scale is the extent to which it provides a better, or at least unique service compared to the licensed distributions available to you, or the extent to which the latter is overpriced.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
    edited October 2008
    There's no difference between download fansubs for a licensed or unlicensed show.
    I completely disagree. There's a moral scale here, and the critical factor in evaluating the position of a fansub on that scale is the extent to which it provides a better, or at least unique service compared to the licensed distributions available to you, or the extent to which the latter is overpriced.
    I was talking about the legality of fansubs. There is no difference, I said not a single word, and will say no more words, about morals and fansubs. Not in this thread.
    Post edited by ... on