This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 081009 - Sandwiches

edited October 2008 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights we salivate over the king of all foods, the sandwich. In the news, Obama is going to buy a TV show, and some guy got the first ever dual-arm transplant.

Scott's Thing - Bad Spanish Rice
Rym's Thing - Get a Job

Comments

• Rym's Thing -Get a Job
    Obama should turn that into an advert.
  • Nothing like a good Steak and Cheese Grinder w/ lettuce, tomato, and onion. :)
  • Black Jack did that on his first volume :D
  • edited October 2008
    Having seen every totd and news earlier today was awesome.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • edited October 2008
    Rym's Thing -Get a Job
    Obama should turn that into an advert.
    Anyone else notice how that one guy was calling Obama a "lawyer" about 18 seconds into the clip, obviously meaning a certain racial derogatory term?
    Post edited by Σπεκωσποκ on
  • That was the most shameful display of hateful ignorance I've ever seen. I can not believe there are that many people in this country who are that willfully stupid, racist, and hateful. Anyone even remotely considering McCain should watch that and feel disgusted with themselves.
  • edited October 2008
    That was the most shameful display of hateful ignorance I've ever seen. I can not believe there are that many people in this country who are that willfully stupid, racist, and hateful. Anyone even remotely considering McCain should watch that and feel disgusted with themselves.
    The people in that video are no doubt ignorant, racist, and hateful. However, to say that someone who wants to vote for McCain should be ashamed of themselves because of that goes a little far. McCain is not ignorant, racist, and hateful. It's just that some of his supporters are. There are plenty of ignorant, racist, and hateful people out there supporting Obama. Does that mean that people who support Obama for non-hateful reasons should be ashamed of themselves?

If some guy in the KKK happens to have the same favorite movie as you do, does that mean you should change it up?
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • McCain is not ignorant, racist, and hateful
    He's a curmudgeon. Horseshit!
  • Hells yeah, an episode about sandwiches.
  • I was cycling at about half twelve, heading home for lunch, and I was listening to this show. And my tire burst. As I need my back light fixing I decided just to take it to a bike shop to fix it, but I was pushing it for ages and ages before I found one. Then I had to catch the train home. All along you guys were talking about food. I was starving!

I try to make a different combination of sandwich ingredients every time. I just ate a number of sandwiches, and my favourite today was:

White sliced bread, toasted lightly then left to cool. Spread thinly with butter.
    Thin sliced mushrooms, a tiny bit of rocket salad.
    Ground pepper.
    Thin slice parma ham.
    A few big chunks of camembert.
    And it is important to grind the pepper on to the camabert, not onto the bread.
  • edited October 2008
    McCain is not ignorant, racist, and hateful
    He's a curmudgeon. Horseshit!
    Lots of people are curmudgeonly. There's a big gap between being a grumbly old man and being hateful. If you want to say he's hateful, show me some YouTubes.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I didn't say he was hateful, persay, just that he was super cranky.

And he IS totally ignorant of the modern world, and economics, and those sorts of things.
  • So whats a good thing to get at DiBella's? I went over there once a few weeks and got a cheese steak. It was good, but I've had much better.

Also the places in Philly you are thinking of to get a cheese steak are Gino's and Pat's. I've had both, and Pat's is much better in my opinion.
  • So whats a good thing to get at DiBella's?
    The hot subs (except for the original meatball) are new, and they're not good. Stick to the cold subs. If you must have a hot sub, get a meatball with onions and hot peppers. Also, don't get any bread but the standard white sesame: the rest of the bread types are also new and also not as good.
  • Spanish as in Spain, not Mexico...
    Didn't know if I should be insulted or not. I loled in the end.
  • Spanish as in Spain, not Mexico...
    Didn't know if I should be insulted or not. I loled in the end.
    We weren't trying to insult Spain or Mexico. We were just pointing out that the idiot who ruined his car is from Spain.
  • Also the places in Philly you are thinking of to get a cheese steak are Gino's and Pat's. I've had both, and Pat's is much better in my opinion.
    No, NEITHER, false.

They're both overpriced and kind of crappy. If you have to go to a touristy place you should go to Tony Luke's. Otherwise, you should really just go to any random food cart. That is the true cheesesteak.
  • Have you ever tried a Reindeer sandwich? So good. Musk Ox is also pretty good but the flavor can easily be over powered by mustard, gourmet cheese are where it's at if you want a good Musk Ox.
  • Where are you from, the Canadian wilderness? We use ham here, boy.
    heh, just kidding. You just don't see a lot of reindeer or ox in the deli section.
  • edited October 2008
    Alaska. There used to be the greatest sandwich shop next door to my mom's barber shop that made gourmet sandwiches. She would use Reindeer, Musk Ox, and other meats from around the world, gourmet breads, and cheeses. Man the sandwiches she made were beyond incredible. Sadly she sold the shop to some jack hole who turned it into a used book store.
    Edit: Looking at those car pictures made my brain hurt. That is a clear example of having skills but no understanding.
    Post edited by Bobblun on
  • I listened to this podcast at 2:00 AM, and had to get up and make a sandwich by the end. I call that a job well done.
  • I listened to this podcast at 2:00 AM, and had to get up and make a sandwich by the end. I call that a job well done.
    2:45am for me. Gorram math homework.
    Alaska. There used to be the greatest sandwich shop next door to my mom's barber shop that made gourmet sandwiches. She would use Reindeer, Musk Ox, and other meats from around the world, gourmet breads, and cheeses. Man the sandwiches she made were beyond incredible. Sadly she sold the shop to some jack hole who turned it into a used book store.
    I wonder if there's a deli around here that would special order reindeer or musk ox meat for me...
  • I wonder if there's a deli around here that would special order reindeer or musk ox meat for me...
    If you can't find any, here is a website to the place just down the street. They are not the best but they are pretty good (and 1 of the only ones with a web-site).
  • edited October 2008
    So I called them, and the lady on the phone said that, while they don't sell Musk Ox because its a game meat, for sandwiches she recommends the Alaskan chub with reindeer meat. Its not that expensive either, although with shipping from there to here it might be worth it to buy more than just one chub. I wonder if they have a non "fattened up" version.
    Edit: Maybe it's this?
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Where do you guys recommend buying cold cuts from?
  • I normally just buy my cold cuts from the supermarket deli.
    Scott talked about pitas and they mentioned the Pita Pit. I went there for lunch and had a delicious pita. ^_^
  • I normally just buy my cold cuts from the supermarket deli.
    Publix only sells Boar's Head. D:
  • edited October 2008
    they don't sell Musk Ox because its a game meat,
    It is true that they can not sell game meat, but there is a Musk Ox farm that provides game meat to local orders. I believe that there are some companies in Canada that are better for the Musk Ox. But if you do order from them(Alaska Sausage), make sure to get as many hunter sticks you can afford, they are crazy good. I have not tried the reindeer Chub, so I don't know how it tastes but it sounds good.
    Post edited by Bobblun on
  • Actually, the food pyramid has changed, so fruits and veggies are more important than grain now.