This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Moving to Canada!

2»

Comments

• (Except for the drivers. They suck. Oh, how they suck.)
    People are constantly complaining that the drivers in X place suck. Where, pray tell, are the good drivers? There must be good drivers somewhere for the Vancouver drivers to be worse than.
    There are good and bad drivers everywhere. I have observed that certain regions have drivers that make a certain "mistake" more than in other places. For instance, I have never seen people weave in and out of traffic at high speeds and without blinkers as much as I saw in the DC area. In upstate NY, I notice that people seem to tailgate more often than other places I have driven, etc. This may just be a fluke of my experience and may mean nothing - just something I notice.
  • The good drivers are probably the ones in smaller towns and out in the countryside,
    I'd argue the opposite. By and large, people who drive primarily in urban areas have no problem with the much simpler rural roads, while primarily rural drivers have great difficulty with, say, Bronx traffic.

There are certainly terrible, terrible drivers in urban areas, but these drivers are much more likely to be involved in (cause) collisions, and most drivers need a higher degree of skill just to get by. A terrible driver in the great plains will never have the opportunity to collide with anything, and certainly won't have to parallel park or merge onto a seven-lane freeway: the margin of safety is greater such that they can afford to make many more mistakes that, in dense urban traffic, would be deadly.
  • The good drivers are probably the ones in smaller towns and out in the countryside,
    I'd argue the opposite. By and large, people who drive primarily in urban areas have no problem with the much simpler rural roads, while primarily rural drivers have great difficulty with, say, Bronx traffic.

There are certainly terrible, terrible drivers in urban areas, but these drivers are much more likely to be involved in (cause) collisions, and most drivers need a higher degree of skill just to get by. A terrible driver in the great plains will never have the opportunity to collide with anything, and certainly won't have to parallel park or merge onto a seven-lane freeway: the margin of safety is greater such that they can afford to make many more mistakes that, in dense urban traffic, would be deadly.
    Don't forget that if someone crashes in a city... 1000s of people are going to notice. If I crash out in the rural part of mass, I will encounter 1 person per hour I am out there. So you will see more bad drivers in the city, since you are running into more cars/ accidents cause you more harm.
  • Canada America sucks.
  • CanadaAmericans sucks (on average).
  • non-Americans suck(always).
  • Canada sucks.
    Joe, you think everywhere sucks, therefore your opinion on the matter is discounted.
    I don't think everywhere sucks. I think Baltimore is very nice. DC is pretty nice, too. Move to Baltimore or DC instead.

There are a couple of place in Maine that don't suck. Boston and NYC don't suck. Chicago sucks a little bit, but not as much as Canada.

San Francisco doesn't suck, but L.A. does. Seattle is very un-sucky.

It's hard to think of any place in the world that sucks as much as The South.
  • I think Baltimore is very nice.
    Joe, I'm with you as far as cities being where it's at. However, Baltimore is one of the worst cities out there.
  • non-Americans suck (always).
    Are we done now?
    Joe, I'm with you as far as cities being where it's at. However, Baltimore is one of the worst cities out there.
    What?!! I've hardly been shot at all, the library is nice, and there's a microbrew pub just down the street. What else do you want?
    What?!! I've hardly been shot at all, the library is nice, and there's a microbrew pub just down the street. What else do you want?
    More than one small area of niceness that isn't all touristy.
    More than one small area of niceness that isn't all touristy.
    You're talking about some kind of dreamworld.
  • You're talking about some kind of dreamworld.
    I guess the empire state is named as such because it is the empire of dreams.
  • It's hard to think of any place in the world that sucks as much as The South.
    Wow, are you just forgetting war-torn, starving, disease ridden, natural disaster ravaged areas?
  • Yeah, I'd rather be in the southern USA than in Burma or something.
  • I'd just rather live somewhere nice.
  • I'd just rather live somewhere nice.
    There are nice places in the South.
  • There are nice places in the South.
    Like Orlando, Florida.
  • There are nice places in the South.
    I didn't mean anywhere in particular, just, somewhere nice.
  • It's hard to think of any place in the world that sucks as much as The South.
    Wow, are you just forgetting war-torn, starving, disease ridden, natural disaster ravaged areas?
    No.
    There are nice places in the South.
    Like Orlando, Florida.
    You must be joking.
  • You must be joking.
    He's a Disney fanboy.
  • edited October 2008
    He's a Disney fanboy.
    That is true, but the actual city of Orlando isn't a terrible city.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • He's a Disney fanboy.
    It's a touristy shithole. It's not the shittiest shithole, but it's not somplace you want to be.
  • He's a Disney fanboy.
    That is true,but the actual city of Orlando isn't a terrible city.
    It depends on what you want from a city. If I had to live in a city, I would choose London, Quebec, Toronto, Seattle, Boston, or Edinburgh. No city in Florida would be my taste (having lived in FL, I speak from experience), but it doesn't make them bad cities. Personally, I like a country setting far better than a city setting. Human variety, isn't is just somethin'?
  • He's a Disney fanboy.
    It's a touristy shithole. It's not the shittiest shithole, but it's not somplace you want to be.
    QFT.
  • He's a Disney fanboy.
    Orlando in July is unbearable. Why on earth would anyone elect to live in such a humid place?