This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• Turns out my brother's computer, my laptop's video out, and my desktop were not broken...my monitor was.
  • Isn't that good? A lot cheaper, I'd say.
  • edited November 2008
    Isn't that good? A lot cheaper, I'd say.
    It's more the huge amount of time I spent trying to figure out what the heck was wrong with those computers when it wasn't that at all. The monitor is failing weird, it's fine at low resolutions, (640X480, 800X600), but as soon as it boots to higher res (1024X768+) it craps out. I gave to illusion that the computer was broke, and I've wasted two weekends to it.

Poor Samsung 712a, it served me well for 4 years.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • So i was supposed to go to delaware today for a battle for the midieval battle group im in but since my car has no gas it put the kaibosh on that. so then after that i was going to hang out with a girl that im really into but, as luck would have it, she had a family emergency and had to cancel. so instead of doing a day of fun filled activity i sat on my rump over a friends and was forced to watch craptastic football. lady luck smiles upon me.
  • I watched Riki-Oh for the first time the other night...

For those of you who haven't seen it, imagine a kung-fu Plan 9, made in Hong Kong with the WORST DUBBING IMAGINABLE.

"Ricky, I am your uncle. I have secretly been watching you for 8 years. Do you still have your superhuman strength?"
    "SURE DO!"
    But the dub makes it even funnier!
  • Was about to go to sleep only to discover that I had accidentally deleted the only copies of two papers I spent this weekend working on. One is due today, and one is due tomorrow. The one due tomorrow was over 7000 words too.
  • edited November 2008
    @Kiey: Those files are probably still recoverable.
    Also: BACK THAT SHIT UP!!
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited November 2008
    I thought I had, but then when I went to find them where I thought they were they weren't there. I think I just need to start saving all my writing on Google Docs in addition to normal saving.

And they aren't, I wrote something else to the flash drive between the deletion and the realizing.

I'm supposed to go pitch the stuff in one of my papers to two professors in about an hour as part of the class, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to sleep instead.
    Post edited by Kiey on
  • edited November 2008
    I thought I had, but then when I went to find them where I thought they were they weren't there. I think I just need to start saving all my writing on Google Docs in addition to normal saving.
    Turn on revision tracking and set up a batch script to run on an interval that duplicates your documents. On my laptop I use a little program I knocked together in VB.NET that watches the My Documents folder on my computer for Word temp files. When it sees one, it copies it to an archive folder and starts a file watcher to check for changes. When the temp file changes, it copies a new temp file and increments the old one, like log files in Linux. Once the temp file disappears when I close Word, the watcher realizes that I'm done, turfs all but the last n iterations, and copies over the actual saved file itself. This way, even if I accidentally delete some or all of the document, I've got spares.

EDIT: If you want a copy, I'll gladly share. I don't have a license on the code yet; I'll slap some Creative Commons on that business.
    Post edited by Lusankya on
  • My fail; I deleted the comment I was going to write here....
    Turn on revision tracking and set up a batch script to run on an interval that duplicates your documents. On my laptop I use a little program I knocked together in VB.NET that watches the My Documents folder on my computer for Word temp files. When it sees one, it copies it to an archive folder and starts a file watcher to check for changes. When the temp file changes, it copies a new temp file and increments the old one, like log files in Linux. Once the temp file disappears when I close Word, the watcher realizes that I'm done, turfs all but the last n iterations, and copies over the actual saved file itself. This way, even if I accidentally delete some or all of the document, I've got spares.

EDIT: If you want a copy, I'll gladly share. I don't have a license on the code yet; I'll slap some Creative Commons on that business.
    I'd like a copy, but as the CC FAQ suggests, you shouldn't license it under the Creative Commons license. What I'd do is retain full copyright and post just post a link.

Can I use a Creative Commons license for software?

We do not recommend it. Creative Commons licenses should not be used for software. We strongly encourage you to use one of the very good software licenses which are already available. We recommend considering licenses made available by the Free Software Foundation or listed at the Open Source Initiative. Unlike our licenses, which do not make mention of source or object code, these existing licenses were designed specifically for use with software.
  • I'd like a copy, but as the CC FAQ suggests, you shouldn't license it under the Creative Commons license. What I'd do is retain full copyright and post just post a link.
    I hadn't really looked into it, but that's very good to know. I guess that's what I'll do for now, until I look more into licenses and how they work. I'm out of town until Thursday; I'll have the link up when I get back.

As a heads-up, it does require the .NET 2.0 framework, so anyone not using Windows are out of luck. Sorry.
  • Farewell Circuit City I hardly knew you.
    Circuit City deserves to fail. Their prices are 20- to 30-percent higher than comparable electronics retailers, and their selection is donkey balls.
  • Farewell Circuit City I hardly knew you.
    Circuit City deserves to fail. Their prices are 20- to 30-percent higher than comparable electronics retailers, and their selection is donkey balls.
    Everyonce in a while they would have a good thing on stock and they do price match with companies like Comp USA. That is how I got GTA San Andreas for 20 bucks about 3 years ago.
  • Isn't Comp USA also tits up in a ditch?
  • Someone on the Collected Animals forum posted a link to some dude's myspace who claimed to be supporting Panda Bear and No Age at the Miami Art Fair on December 6th. I got super excited, talked to my parents, and was certain I'd be there. Then it got revealed that this was a hoax. I am sad now.
  • edited November 2008
    I already posted about this in StS, but today was a giant fiasco. Today was the first of two 2 hour practices scheduled between now and Saturday, when we're supposed to have our show. Everyone showed up an hour late and couldn't even stay because they had practice for the school play. Not only were we all told different songs to learn(it's a cover band), but most of us haven't even played together before. On top of all that, none of the guitarists or horns showed up. It was me(bass), keyboard, and drums.

My conclusion is that there is no fucking way in hell that we can learn a 20 minute set in the span of 2 hours with songs we've never even played together before. That was going to be very unlikely even if we had a practice today where everyone showed up and was on time and knew the right songs. I told my friend, the frontman, who asked me to join that we should definitely cancel. Honestly, if he wasn't my friend I would have just quit and walked out on them. I probably will once this show, that hopefully won't happen, is over with. All this coupled with the fact that I wasted my valuable time learning and worrying about learning two relatively difficult songs that we're not even playing makes me really, really pissed off.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I feel really bad for that drummer. Carrying all the equipment is a bitch in itself, but then not getting to play on it is even worse.
  • edited November 2008
    Carrying all the equipment is a bitch in itself, but then not getting to play on it is even worse.
    Don't feel too bad. It was at his house.

And yes, I got to his house before he even did.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Saw this on the way to work today:
  • Saw this on the way to work today:
    That reminds me of Tank Car, a blue 80's era Dodge Colt hatchback. The driver used extra wide, white duct-tape to create "Viper Stripes"
    Think this:
    plus this:
  • Last night, I somehow strained a muscle in my upper back or pinched a nerve. I don't know what it is, but it just hurts to do anything.
  • Last night, I somehow strained a muscle in my upper back or pinched a nerve. I don't know what it is, but it just hurts to do anything.
    That might be serious. Incapacitating pain generally warrants a visit to the doctor.
  • Figured I'd share this atrocity somewhere: PETA made an unauthorized "parody" of Cooking Mama. When you pluck the turkey within the allotted time, she'll say, "MEANER THAN MAMA!" Play it now while you still can, they're going to get slapped with a cease and desist from Nintendo in 3... 2...
  • unauthorized "parody" of Cooking Mama
    Parodies are protected under fair use.
  • unauthorized "parody" of Cooking Mama
    Parodies are protected under fair use.
    To this extent, I don't believe they are. It's straight up Cooking Mama with propaganda videos between the levels.
  • Figured I'd share this atrocity somewhere:PETA made an unauthorized "parody" of Cooking Mama. When you pluck the turkey within the allotted time, she'll say, "MEANER THAN MAMA!" Play it now while you still can, they're going to get slapped with a cease and desist from Nintendo in 3... 2...
    That was actually very good and funny.

I don't think its protected, as it tries to pass off as the real thing.
  • I had some of the worst sushi ever tonight. It was so bad that I had to eat two Pop-Tarts to get the horrid taste out of my mouth.
  • I've begun to hate my life even more.
  • edited November 2008
    I've begun to hate my life evenmore.
    It will get better , it always gets better.
    Post edited by Erwin on