This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• I told her to not touch anything and to go wash them immediately
    It's probably too little, too late, but for future reference:

If you ever spill toner on yourself or your clothes, wash them with COLD WATER ONLY. No soap (not the first washing, at least), and most definitely, NO HOT WATER.

Hot water will, in many cases, "activate" the toner. Of course, YMMV, but it's a good rule of thumb which has saved me grief in the past.
  • Maybe a warning sticker would serve as a funny memento of the occasion.
  • t's probably too little, too late, but for future reference:
    If you ever spill toner on yourself or your clothes, wash them with COLD WATER ONLY. No soap (not the first washing, at least), and most definitely, NO HOT WATER.
    Yeah, I honestly forgot how to handle that situation when that happens even though we're required to take yearly training about how to handle this stuff. ^^;;

The lady seems to be alright. She was very apologetic to the custodian who came to clean up the mess.
    Maybe a warning sticker would serve as a funny memento of the occasion.
    I should put a warning sign up there. I will eventually, but probably in a week or so. I don't want to hurt the old lady's feelings.
  • My office just had their contract revoked, so my entire team got canned, fail.
  • No soap (not the first washing, at least)
    I got a bit on my hands the other day and used soap the first time around; it was LAVA so I can only assume that the abrasiveness just scrubbed it off. I did, however, only use cold water.

• Aha will never be the same again...
  • Watermarking images can be a bitch:

• edited December 2008
    Fail part A:
    There was a snowstorm predicted to occur in Rochester, NY today, and drop 10-15 inches of snow. As of 6:45 AM, snow had not started, so, unlike half the area districts, my school district decides it would be fine to have school today. This is relatively reasonable.
    Fail part B:
    At approximately 8:45 this morning, (school starts at 7:50), it begins snowing. It starts not terrible, but gets relatively bad. Again, my school thinks its a better idea to stay in school and try to wait out the snow. Needless to say, this is a bad decision.
    Fail part C: By the end of the school day, my school is one of the only school districts still open. There is 6 or so inches of snow on the ground, it is snowing harder than before, and visibility is about 150 feet. Naturally, my school decides to cancel all afterschool activities (canceling one of my clubs' Christmas party) and to close the library, instead of having it stay open until 7 like it normally does. By doing this, they forced all the students to leave the school. My parents have full-time jobs. I do not normally have a ride. The net effect is, I only barely managed to avoid a 1.7 mile walk home through a snowstorm with no gloves. Thank you, school. Thank you.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • edited December 2008
    I watched the movie Swordfish tonight (it was on TBS). Here are some of the total failures in computing knowledge that a movie about a hacker should NOT have overlooked:

-It is completely impossible to break ONE "1024bit cipher" in 30 seconds, let alone several.
    -Same goes for 256 and 512bit SSL, in 60 seconds.
    -"Encryption" does not have to be "broken" to "unlock" a workstation. We have passwords and security dongles for that.
    -My biggest pet peeve when it comes to all hacking movies: Spent five minutes looking at a Linux security distro and you'll realize that most decent hacking tools are command-line, text-based programs. "The Matrix" had it right when Trinity used NMap to scan for holes. GUIs are nice, but they're far from the norm.
    -"Explosions" cannot "scramble the internal clock" of a server rack. A bank's internal clock is likely one of those super-precise cesium pucks that keeps accurate time to a picosecond; the only excuse for a clock glitch in a setup like that would be if the bomb in question had an EMP device.
    -Also, the plot and the movie in general just sucked.

Watch it for yourself and you'll know why it failed so goddamn hard.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I....
    I....
    reinstalled Final Fantasy XI
  • I watched the movie Swordfish tonight (it was on TBS). Here are some of the total failures in computing knowledge that a movie about a hacker should NOT have overlooked:

-It is completely impossible to break ONE "1024bit cipher" in 30 seconds, let alone several.
    -Same goes for 256 and 512bit SSL, in 60 seconds.
    -"Encryption" does not have to be "broken" to "unlock" a workstation. We have passwords and security dongles for that.
    -My biggest pet peeve when it comes to all hacking movies: Spent five minutes looking at a Linux security distro and you'll realize that most decent hacking tools are command-line, text-based programs. "The Matrix" had it right when Trinity used NMap to scan for holes. GUIs are nice, but they're far from the norm.
    -"Explosions" cannot "scramble the internal clock" of a server rack. A bank's internal clock is likely one of those super-precise cesium pucks that keeps accurate time to a picosecond; the only excuse for a clock glitch in a setup like that would be if the bomb in question had an EMP device.
    -Also, the plot and the movie in general just sucked.

Watch it for yourself and you'll know why it failed so goddamn hard.
    The point of such movies is not to be accurate. The point of the hacker flick genre is to warn you about the leaky pool on the roof.
  • Oh, I realize that. I just think something as unreasonable as breaking a 1024bit cipher in 30 seconds goes beyond the bounds of artistic license and into the realm of "no one knows anything about computers, let's just make shit up."
  • This is not just a "Fail of the Day" it's a recurring theme at my work as people tend to not double-bag when they throw hot and steamy buckets of pureed food into the trash. What happens when you lift up said trash and try to throw it into dumpsters? It busts the bag very easily and gets all over the place and on me and I have to then clean the mess up.
  • Five years ago I was having sex with a nice lady for the first time... I mean for the first time with that nice lady... and something happened to my back like a trapped nerve or something. I couldn´t continue, and the nice lady was less than impressed. It was like something out of a bad comedy.

Three days ago I woke up and had the same pain in my back, though this time I think it was caused just by sleeping badly or laying in a bad position. I´m in a lot of pain. Today I was going to actually do stuff but I´ve spent much of the day in bed.
  • Three days ago I woke up and had the same pain in my back...
    What a coincidence. I woke up this morning with a swollen testicle, which scared the ever living hell out of me until I realized that testicular torsion would have me vomiting from the pain. It went away after a bit, but it was far from enjoyable. So yeah, just in case you wanted to hear about my balls, there you go.
  • edited December 2008
    My housemate called the Police on me the other day, after I pulled a pair of thumbtacks out of his door with a bottlecap two days before - since I talked openly with him about being a locksports enthusiast, he couldn't understand why someone would want to know how to mess with locks if they are not a locksmith or a thief, and since I'm clearly not a locksmith, he decided I was trying to steal from him.

What actually happened - I pulled the two thumbtacks out of his door with the bottlecap, went to my room, put them on my desk for when I was going to use them, and then went back out on my way to make a cup of tea, when he came roaring out, accusing me off messing with his door, trying to break the lock, trying to steal his things, calling me stupid for not knowing he was there, and making various threats of physical violence (Side note - He's a 6 foot tall, heavily muscled French/welsh rugby player with a violent temper - as in punching walls because he was angry about being bored violent temper)

What he told the police - That he'd heard a very quiet noise from the door, had snuck up to the door, and then pulled it open, where apparently he found me with latex gloves on, four tools sticking out of the lock, and that I'd started blubbering "Don't hurt me! I'll never do it again!" and then that I started blubbering about how I'd be deported if he called the police because there was too much evidence.
    He also told the police that he's 23, speaks nine languages, he is doing his second degree, and that I've stolen from him before.

The police had arrived while I was out, and I arrived home - and they've asked me to discuss a "very serious matter with them" so I go into the kitchen with them, offer them tea, and they tell me what he's said - to which i burst out laughing, and set them straight - Gave them the right story, told them my housmate's real age (just turned 18 in October) and his real education status(doing a TPD on a rugby scholarship), and since I caught the tail end of what he was saying to the police when I went over to his door to ask why there was a police car outside, set them straight about exactly how many languages he speaks (one and a half - He speaks French, though far less capably than you'd expect from a French bloke, and he speaks very, very poor English, along with being barely literate in either language. He speaks absolutely no welsh.)
    I also told them about my locksports hobby, and chatted a bit about that - including clearing up the "four tools in the lock" nonsense.

So, the police went upstairs, and basically said "We need to check your ID." It was produced after some loud and angry protest, which lead to some long, probing and highly uncomfortable questions from the police - and afterward, they came down and basically said "He was full of shit, and while this is all recorded, it isn't worth pursuing further, sorry for wasting your time."

Edit - What the hell, I might as well give you the laundry list of some of the unbelievable crap that comes out of his mouth -
    He has Maintained that he's 21 to everyone in the house since just after he moved in - All while keeping various Rugby trophies around his room, Including a big one for MVP, under 18's, 2007/2008 season.
    He also has said at various times that he owns 5 houses in France, is a master of kung-fu(But he can't remember the name of the style), Keeps genuine samurai swords under the bed to deal with intruders to his room, played rugby for France(He's never played higher than regional in wales), he was a big time drug dealer and got caught by the police but they let him go because he beat them defending himself in court, He speaks anywhere from 7 to 13 languages, has an IQ of 400, Was an internationally famous model who was paid 300 Pounds a photo, That he is an Islamic Imam(I know more about the Islamic faith than he does) and lastly(at least, that i could be bothered going on about) He tells us that he's a World class chef, trained by Gordon Ramsay and has worked in a 5 star restaurant as a head chef - He says this after he nearly set fire to the kitchen by cooking a fatty, nasty looking lump of steak - By just turning the oven to maximum, letting it heat up, then just throwing the steak on the oven rack, and then walking off. I walked into the kitchen about twenty minutes later, and the oven is pouring smoke, I can see a small fire through the glass oven door, which I had to put out with the fire extinguisher.

TL:DR - My housemate is a barely literate, dangerously stupid punk kid who tells ridiculous lies, and got himself in trouble with the police by doing so.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • RymRym
    edited December 2008
    My housemate called the Police on me the other day
    Scott and I were in a similar situation at RIT once. Apparently, using IPX for a LAN game is tantamount to hacking, at least as far as our deaf (and, independently of being deaf, stupid) neighbors were concerned.

Mind you, these were the same neighbors who flooded our apartment once (left the water on all day), accused us of having a feud with them (we didn't even know their names), and ceaselessly played Pick Up the Bowling Ball hourly intervals between midnight and six AM.

Good times were had by all.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited December 2008
    What a coincidence. I woke up this morning with a swollen testicle, which scared the ever living hell out of me until I realized that testicular torsion would have me vomiting from the pain. It went away after a bit, but it was far from enjoyable. So yeah, just in case you wanted to hear about my balls, there you go.
    You should talk to a medical professional about that as soon as is possible. Really.

I had a comical fail today. I was shoveling out my driveway and I scooped up more snow than I could lift and stay balanced on the slick driveway. I slid and fell into a snow bank that was taller than me. As I attempted to git up (which took a solid 5 minutes, I created several mini-avalanches that pushed even more snow onto me. It was like something out of a slapstick comedy.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • edited December 2008
    You should talk to a medical professional about that as soon as is possible. Really.
    It depends how swollen. Testicles get larger and smaller all the time. If they don't shrink or they're larger than, say, golf balls then you've got a problem. My friend's brother's were as big as tennis balls and had to have surgery. It's very rare and very painful.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • My friend's brother's were as big as tennis balls and had to have surgery. It's very rare and very painful.
    I think I speak for every guy reading this sentance when I say "ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow".
  • I think I speak for every guy reading this sentance when I say "ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow".
    Well, yeah. That's just testicular empathy.
  • About six months ago my brother got a hand-me-down computer from my dad. He asked me to install Linux alongside Windows XP. I will note that my brother is not a computer geek, but was curious after a classmate of his told him about it. Moving forward to three days ago, he asked me to remove it, because he preferred Windows. So I removed it, and forgot about GRUB, which couldn't find any OS. It took me five hours to fix it, and then another problem showed up: "Autochk program not found." No Recovery Console, and no floppy drive. ARRGH!
  • Recovery console from the install CD. Press R.
    No install CD. Factory preinstall.
    :'-(
  • You should talk to a medical professional about that as soon as is possible. Really.
    It depends how swollen. Testicles get larger and smaller all the time. If they don't shrink or they're larger than, say, golf balls then you've got a problem. My friend's brother's were as big as tennis balls and had to have surgery. It's very rare and very painful.
    The testicle in question shrank down to it's normal size (slightly larger than the other) and the pain went away within twenty minutes and a warm bath. Looking back I'm pretty sure it was just an extremely unfortunate sleeping position.
  • Looking back I'm pretty sure it was just an extremely unfortunate sleeping position.
    Yeah. It happens.
    Just take any Windows CD and do this. It doesn't matter what specific CD it is, the recovery console still works fine.
  • edited December 2008
    Spent all day refurbishing a laptop for a client. Shut it down at the end of the day then quickly turn it back on to check something. Gets to the XP loading screen and goes black.. stays black....
    Attempting system repair..*Spinning hyphen*.. Failure.

*Cuts off tiger-bunny ears.*

Edit: *Cuts of tiger-bunny tail*
    Oh dear father, I have failed. I did it once and I did it again. Turns out the screen will stay black if you leave any kind of USB drive in it.. Well that's two reinstalls and a whole lot of wasted time gone.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I bought a rotary cutter with cutting mat yesterday so I can easily measure and cut fabric for my sewing projects. Even though the cutter has a lot of safety features on it, I still managed to cut my thumb.